Main RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed


Next Fixture

No Upcoming Fixtures Available

Latest Poll

Caullie Lug 16/17

View Results

Log In

Forgot Password

View Article


Ospreys: 30 Edinburgh: 32

'Big' Jim Hamilton's injury time touchdown, converted by mercurial midfield mini-maestro Phil Godman, saw the Gunners move above their hosts into third in the Magnersleague with this excellent victory in Wales last night.  They are now guaranteed to match, at the very least, their fourth place of last season.  Two wins could well see them improve on that placing.

In a league that is becoming increasingly competitive, Andy Robinson looks likely to leave Edinburgh a better side than he found them.  The traditional post-6 Nations collapse is less pronounced than before and a place on the podium would be a fitting end to Robbo's brief tenure in the Murrayfield portacabin.

Things started relatively unpromisingly at the Liberty, though, with wing twins Shane Williams and Tommy Bowe notching touchdowns early on.  Williams' try, in particular, added a touch of colour to proceedings, making up in part for the absence of injured Gavin Henson's tan.  And it was a nice way for the tiny winger to celebrate his 100th appearance for the region.

Happily, he was not to end up on the winning side.  Embra were not about to stand around and admire how ever many Lions were on show in Osprey jerseys.  A trademark Godman half break saw the little playmaker put Ben 'Cairnsy' Cairns over for his first try of the night, goaled by Paterson. 

After a home try had been rightly chalked off following consideration by the TMO, Allan MacDonald won ball at a lineout and it was moved to Cairns, who notched his second score. Webster was to add a third a minute later, the winger getting on the end of a clever Godman bomb to cross in the left corner.

The action continued right up to the half, with Byrne recording a converted try that left the half-time score 19-17 to the visitors.  Contests between these two sides are generally hugely entertaining, as they both look to move the ball at every opportunity.  Three tries apiece at the break confirmed that this was another cracker.

Two Paterson penalties after the break put the visitors eight points clear.  Yet though they were on top, they couldn't put the Ospreys away. Hooker Bennett crossed for a converted try to narrow the gap, then Biggar regained the lead with two penalties.

But Edinburgh stuck at their task with the clock running down, securing the four try bonus point and the win with Hamilton's converted try, repeating last season's triumph at this venue.


Ospreys - Biggar 2C 2P, Williams 1T, Bowe 1T, Byrne 1T, Bennett 1T.

Edinburgh - Paterson 2C 2P, Godman 1C, Cairns 2T, Webster 1T, J Hamilton 1T.


Ospreys: L Byrne,T Bowe, J Hook, A Bishop, S Williams, D Biggar, M Phillips, P James, H Bennett, A Jones, F Levi, A Lloyd, T Smith, S Tandy, R Jones (capt). Subs: E Shervington, D Jones, I Gough, M Holah, T Noyle, J Spratt, J Vaughton.

Edinburgh: C Paterson; J Houston, B Cairns, N De Luca, S Webster; P Godman, M Blair (capt); K Traynor, R Ford, G Cross, C Hamilton, J Hamilton, S Newlands, A MacDonald, A Hogg. Subs: A Kelly, R Grant, S MacLeod, M Mustchin, G Laidlaw, D Blair or A Turnbull, Hugo.

Referee: Rolland (IRFU)