Edinburgh v. Dragons Fri 27 @7:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v. Dragons Fri 27 @7:35

Postby bignose on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 pm

robdinsdale wrote:By the looks of him, he still has a bit of growing and filling out to do so perhaps playing too much at 10, with lumbering back row forwards crashing down his defensive channel for 80 minutes, wouldn't be a great idea at this stage of his physical development.

If he does *much* more growing he'll be bigger than those lumbering back row forwards himself.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I think we also need to remember that Kinghorn is still relatively young to be breaking into the team - we normally see this happen to players when they are 20/21.

By the looks of him, he still has a bit of growing and filling out to do so perhaps playing too much at 10, with lumbering back row forwards crashing down his defensive channel for 80 minutes, wouldn't be a great idea at this stage of his physical development.

He's 6'5 and 15 stone.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:30 pm

bignose wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:By the looks of him, he still has a bit of growing and filling out to do so perhaps playing too much at 10, with lumbering back row forwards crashing down his defensive channel for 80 minutes, wouldn't be a great idea at this stage of his physical development.

If he does *much* more growing he'll be bigger than those lumbering back row forwards himself.

He's a tall lad, isn't he? He's bound to fill out a bit more though.

ETA: my point is more that the coaches might want to take some care with his long-term physical development, not that he's too small to handle the collisions.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I don't disagree about Kinghorn and the risk of playing him at fullback too much.( iirc Dan Carter started his international career as a second five eighths).
The question was what is our strongest backline right now and from I've seen I think Kinghorn is the best we've had at fullback this season so far, and likewise Burleigh's performance against the Dragons was the best from anyone at ten.

I'm all for picking him at 15 and bringing him up to act as first receiver in attack as much as possible until he has the confidence to run a whole game. It's not an uncommon thing to do now and can catch a defence flatfooted if they are following a drift of play in the other direction.
Kinghorn looks like he has the pace and ability to cut through a defence.

Two minutes 30 on here. I know it is U18 but still gives an impression of what he is capable of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXEpMf2Ylqo
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 am

Tichtheid wrote:I don't disagree about Kinghorn and the risk of playing him at fullback too much.( iirc Dan Carter started his international career as a second five eighths).
The question was what is our strongest backline right now and from I've seen I think Kinghorn is the best we've had at fullback this season so far, and likewise Burleigh's performance against the Dragons was the best from anyone at ten.

I'm all for picking him at 15 and bringing him up to act as first receiver in attack as much as possible until he has the confidence to run a whole game. It's not an uncommon thing to do now and can catch a defence flatfooted if they are following a drift of play in the other direction.

Fair point he certainly looks our best 15 just now. I would like to see a bit more of fife at full back. He is our most prolific try scorer now visser has gone. So i think i would go for :

9 shc, 10 kinghorn, 11 helu, 12 scott, 13 burleigh, 14 brown, 15 fife
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 am

Weegie wrote:

Two minutes 30 on here. I know it is U18 but still gives an impression of what he is capable of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXEpMf2Ylqo

Which bit are you highlighting, the brilliant chip and take to score, or the weak defending for the other two tries?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:45 am

I'm not sure there is much that can be laid at Kinghorn's door in terms of defensive frailties there. There was a poor effort between him and his inside centre late on, but Kinghorn took his man - it looked more like poor systems to me.

I've seen that footage a few times and I thought the Edinburgh Academy fullback, Saul Melvin-Farr, took his try very well, brilliantly in fact, but was soft defensively later.

That doesn't bother me in a teenager, the defensive duties can be taught more easily than an attacking instinct.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'm not sure there is much that can be laid at Kinghorn's door in terms of defensive frailties there. There was a poor effort between him and his inside centre late on, but Kinghorn took his man - it looked more like poor systems to me.

I've seen that footage a few times and I thought the Edinburgh Academy fullback, Saul Melvin-Farr, took his try very well, brilliantly in fact, but was soft defensively later.

That doesn't bother me in a teenager, the defensive duties can be taught more easily than an attacking instinct.

Agree. You can't teach instinct and flair, you can teach organisation and sytems.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Weegie wrote:
Agree. You can't teach instinct and flair, you can teach organisation and sytems.

And then you can crack on with the important task of coaching the bejesus out of that flair like we usually do.
bignose
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum