Edinburgh v Scarlets (Away) Fri 24 Mar 2017

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets (Away) Fri 24 Mar 2017

Postby New Gunner on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Utterly pathetic. Inept, no spirit, playing like they don't care. How many teams have had the bonus point wrapped up by half time playing us at home?

We keep saying we have a strong squad, the players are there - if that's the case then they should be ashamed of themselves. Desperately poor.

Cockerill will either be licking his lips in sadistic anticipation, or questioning his own sanity for taking on this absolute basket case of a club.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 pm

I think Hugh-Dan just described Hodge as "Acting Coach".

Freudian slip right there.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Cockerill will either be licking his lips in sadistic anticipation, or questioning his own sanity for taking on this absolute basket case of a club.

Answer A, particularly given Tait's comments - he's pretty obviously been saying it's about coaching and leadership.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 pm

We can beat La Roch

Cos they won't have stopped laughing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Dean is .........
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Missed the first half (wishing I was missing second) horrible from both sides.

Agree it is mostly coaching and systems, I dont think any of our players individually have had horrific seasons, certainly of those that have played regularly, but as a team we have been absolutely awful. No structure in attack, defence all over the shop, breakdown we always have wrong numbers too many and we cant attack or too little and get turned over, no communication, no leadership, no LawrenceBryce heart from the players.

Edit: Would add I don't see how current coaches can remain under cockers, just bin them
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby mike04 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Totally agree the current coaches positions are completely untenable now.
Maybe big Vern should prepare the team for next weeks quarter final,if the present coaching team are left in place then murrayfield will need a three figure scoreboard for La Rochelle.
mike04
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm

This won't be a universally popular view, and I say this without having watched tonight's reverse, but going by the comments on the Glasgow forum (never the best resource right enough) we look worse than we did under Solly
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:This won't be a universally popular view, and I say this without having watched tonight's reverse, but going by the comments on the Glasgow forum (never the best resource right enough) we look worse than we did under Solly

well, didn't even play for 40mins tonight - is that worse?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Nope that is probably fair, at least last season under solly we could defend and had a set piece.

Think I saw Hodge has 3 wins from 15 pro12 matches, SteveWalsh, the odd moment of attacking flair early in his tenure a distant memory.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 pm

A gutless performance from start to finish, our defence was all over the place whenever they played at pace, we looked clueless and ponderous with ball in hand.

I have no idea what is going on in there but it needs changed now. The SRU have Lineen and Shade Munro on the books, with little to do until the summer, they cant do a worse job.

Tait was insightful but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see how bad our alignment is. Comments on the lack of communication are very telling. H-D started to say something about the warm up but didn't finish the sentence , anyone know what that was about?

Scott and Hodge have to go and go now, for their own health if nothing else. They both look totally lost.

The fact they made no changes until the 60th min (otr thereabouts) when clearly things were badly wrong it just daft. In particular Dean was having a nightmare, no reason not to put Bryce on at half time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 pm

What a lot of drivel, cant say I am looking forward to next week,wish I had kept the money in the wallet.No pride no fight no clue no LawrenceBryce good. Cockers must be mad touching that team with a barge pole. No improvement over a decade,even our overrated pack look some what dire.In reality the existing coaching staff should GTF and darken some lower league team somewhere far away,I feel a wimper out of the mickey Mouse cup next week.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Tichtheid wrote:This won't be a universally popular view, and I say this without having watched tonight's reverse, but going by the comments on the Glasgow forum (never the best resource right enough) we look worse than we did under Solly

We do
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 pm

And for that, if absolutely nothing else at all, Hodge has impressed me.

Unfortunate for us that our current coaches have only a year left on their contracts to work their magic.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 am

Here's a novel idea - let's give contracts to coaches who have achieved something. Even coaching winning teams at school or club level would be a reasonable indicator of potential.

At least guys like John Dalziel, Stevie Lawrie, Callum McRae have put their neck on the line and won things. Our coaches have been happy to hide in the background on their SRU contracts. They are out of their depth.
macdone
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum