Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Or concern that they are all too good and could all be away with Scotland at the same time :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Scottish qualified as well.

I wonder if there are injury concerns about our LHs that we don't know about.

The injury concerns we do know about are enough to warrant an extra loosehead.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Good solid signing, especially as the 4th choice LH were everyone fit but slightly concerned on where Sutherland and Dickinson are in terms of playing again.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

I share folks concerns about both Dickinson and Sutherland, particularly the latter. Embra up to their usual poor comms when it comes to updates?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Cosgrove moved on presumably to get first team rugby, if there were long term concerns over Dicko or Sutherland it would have made sense for him to stay.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Cosgrove moved on presumably to get first team rugby, if there were long term concerns over Dicko or Sutherland it would have made sense for him to stay.

when did Cosgrove actually sign up his move, when did concerns become known (if there are any) about the other Dicko and Sutherland?

Cosgrove at the time saw himself (or even was told) 4th choice, wasn't offered much if anything to stay so a move nearer home pretty good option. Perhaps the injuries are now felt to be more chronic and another, cheaper option, is seen as a sensible insurance policy. Not at all convinced Cosgrove would have stayed on the off chance a couple of injuries might not clear up; and not at all convinced that Edinburgh would have happily let him go if they felt the injuries were possibly not going to clear
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm

doedin wrote: Embra up to their usual poor comms when it comes to updates?

their absence is all the comms I needed to know there is a worry. If still absent at season start then I'll worry even more. We do not need updates on their recovery or otherwise until there is something definitive to report.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 pm

What exactly other than the fact they are injured would you like them to say?

Not so long ago Edinburgh were criticised for giving away too much info and giving away their position in negotiations (cant remember exact circumstances)

For Cosgrove, bear in mind there is a duality of interest. It is better to have a journeyman fill the 4th choice position than a promising young Scot who needs game time. There is also the budget to consider, with 3 international LHs there is not a lot of room for a 4th in terms of cash, so it is sensible use of budget if this guy is cheaper. We cant stockpile players in the off chance they are needed. If Sutherland and Dickinson are fit there is a question as to how we justify having Dell, if either are injured then he is essential, it is a very fine line when building squads.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm a little surprised everyone seems to be reading so much into this. All fit, we have 3 of Scotland's top 4 LHs, which means it's a realistic case that both match-day LHs will come from us, having a 4th pro is just a simple necessity for us regardless of injury status.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:04 pm

What's the worry here? Dickinson, Sutherland and Dell are all international LHs. Good chance of losing two each window. Dickinson is no spring chicken and will need to be managed a bit more over time. 4th LH (sq is he) seems a given to me.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Update. I think the squad is almost complete now. We're just waiting for Bresler's annoucement.

1- Al Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, Allan Dell, Darryl Marfo // (Ross Dunbar)
2- Ross Ford, Neil Cochrane, Stuart McInally, George Turner // (Fraser Renwick)
3- WP Nel, Murray McCallum, Simon Berghan, Kevin Bryce // (Dan Winning)
4- Ben Toolis, Fraser McKenzie, Lewis Carmichael // (Jamie Ure)
5- Grant Gilchrist, Callum Hunter-Hill // (Hamish Bain)
6- Jamie Ritchie, Viliame Mata, Viliami Fihaki // (Luke Crosbie)
7- Hamish Watson, John Hardie // (Thomas Gordon)
8- Magnus Bradbury, Cornell Du Preez, Ally Miller // (Archie Erskine)
9- Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Sean Kennedy, Hugh Fraser, Nathan Fowles // (Charlie Shiel, Gary Munro)
10- Duncan Weir, Jason Tovey, Phil Burleigh // (Jason Baggott)
11- Damian Hoyland, Jason Harries, Darcy Graham // (Ross McCann)
12- Chris Dean, Tom Galbraith, Solomoni Rasolea // (Cameron Hutchinson)
13- Mark Bennett, Robbie Fruean // (George Taylor)
14- Tom Brown, Rory Scholes, Duhan Van Der Merwe
15- Glenn Bryce, Blair Kinghorn

45 professionnal players (25 forwards, 20 backs; 9 non scottish players) and 14 academy players.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 am

Team for next season looks as chart below.

Forwards virtually unchanged, other then Marfo for Cosgrove and a couple of others being replaced by academy signings. Cockerill is obviously confident that the pack can do the business with a bit of training, S&C and direction. Quite right too.

Much heartened by the backs signings, Fruean (and Bennet when fit again),give the prospect of a bit of high-level cutting-edge at O/Centre, with van der Merwe and Harries (who incidentally has been top drawer at LS) adding some go-forward pace and punch on the (probably) left wing. The back 5 are looking good. Not quite so sure about the half backs, a bit of work and skills training needed there methinks.

Great that the NSQ contingent is down from 12 to 8 good ones, with academy boys filling the spaces.

With an increase from 42 to probably 46 squad (when will the missing link Bresler re-sign, he is vital at lock 4?), I think the SRU has done Embra proud and must have broken the budget to do so. Great stuff and a big vote of confidence in the players and the new coaching team.

A word on the chart - it is not meant to be a 'depth chart' (whatever that means). We can all dispute whether C is better than B, or B is ahead of A, but that is all a bit subjective. The only real determinant of player position in the pecking order, injuries aside, is how many starts the coach gives them, which we will see this season. So no subjective bits below (other than that Turner should get lots more starts because in my subjective opinion he is great and a future Scottish cap!, but he is still shown as 4th choice).
Attachments
ER squad as at 20 May.jpg
ER squad as at 20 May.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 170 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am

Good work!

Bresler and Burleigh are both SQ after the summer aren't they, both signing 2014
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

Will McCallum be sticking to TH? I think that would be preferable for Edinburghs front row balance at the moment
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am

That's a pretty young squad as well. The backs in particular, Burleigh the only one over 30, then Freuan is 28, Tom Brown 26 and everyone else 25 or younger. It's looking stronger, as is the coaching team, so I'm optimistic. As ever. We've all been optimistic and then disappointed before.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum