Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby biffer on Fri May 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cockers has guided Toulon to the top 14 final....

Also the 10 who slotted the last minute drop goal is 21 years old - so folk who worry he trusts youth he picked him over Giteau.


Yeah, remarkable result. Feel a bit sorry for La Rochelle after the season they had, but endorses Cockers' reputation.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 26, 2017 11:57 pm

dare we believe, .......again?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby gowrie on Sat May 27, 2017 10:34 am

Tichtheid wrote:dare we believe, .......again?


Next season's already in the bag, the only question is the margin we win by in the final.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 28, 2017 11:12 am

Tichtheid wrote:dare we believe, .......again?


Last three Pro12 winners Glasgow, Connacht, Scarlets.

The budget is no excuse. It's all down to coaching and player commitment. In Cockers two years I think we can reach the play offs but I think we'd need him longer than two years to finally win it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby germain on Sun May 28, 2017 11:56 am

When you think to the Scarlets under Pivac's guidance, They've been waiting for a very long time to get in the top 4. But when they've made it, they won it. Quite an achievement. Plus they play quite an outstanding game. I think it's the reason why it took them quite a long time to achieve anything.
We won't have that problem with Cockerill, but it will be far less specatcular and popular :evil:. But at the moment, it's not a real problem for me. Just get in the f*** top 6 !
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby GaryIPA on Sun May 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Apparently the Turks had a bit of a Pivac out going on at the start of the season
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby hp18 on Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Apparently the Turks had a bit of a Pivac out going on at the start of the season

I do believe I remember that. Took a good few months for the Toonie out/taxi for toonie to shut the LawrenceBryce up too :lol:
User avatar
hp18
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun May 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Did we not beat Scarlets early in the season? Any team that lost to us has to question themselves/coaches etc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby biffer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Short interview with Cockers up on FB. Couple of interesting things -

'over time that will breed a culture, an identity, which we clearly need to find because no-body can actually tell me what that is'

Multiple mentions of timekeeping - if this has been an issue before, it's about time peoples DonalCourtney were kicked for it.

Very detail oriented

"making sure our discipline's right and our standards right - some will follow that, and the majority have, some will fall away from that"
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm

biffer wrote:Short interview with Cockers up on FB. Couple of interesting things -

'over time that will breed a culture, an identity, which we clearly need to find because no-body can actually tell me what that is'

Multiple mentions of timekeeping - if this has been an issue before, it's about time peoples DonalCourtney were kicked for it.

Very detail oriented

"making sure our discipline's right and our standards right - some will follow that, and the majority have, some will fall away from that"


Good wee piece. I'd sum it up using the word 'lazy'
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
biffer wrote:Short interview with Cockers up on FB. Couple of interesting things -

'over time that will breed a culture, an identity, which we clearly need to find because no-body can actually tell me what that is'

Multiple mentions of timekeeping - if this has been an issue before, it's about time peoples DonalCourtney were kicked for it.

Very detail oriented

"making sure our discipline's right and our standards right - some will follow that, and the majority have, some will fall away from that"


Good wee piece. I'd sum it up using the word 'lazy'


Aye, he is making the right noises, one word I'd be tempted to use is "unprofessional".

I watched the first half against Harlequins again last night, the home game. Frustrating isn't the word. At times our attack was first class, four very well taken tries, but the basics were appalling. We couldn't take a restart and lost possession and territory every time. The lineout was a shambles (we were unluckily pinged in the scrum a couple of times though and Dell had a much better time of it in the loose and tight than Sinckler. Nel battered Marler).

Those details, that being switched on at all times, if Cockers can get that right we can perhaps start looking at having a side that performs consistently well rather than being SteveWalsh all the time
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 pm

It's interesting he said 'most have responded' .... You wonder who hasn't, guess we'll find out soon.

Also does he suggest he was given Hodge and McRae but picked Grant to come in?

McRae is still an odd one - apparently the first thing the 7s do when brought to camp is intensive one to one tackling (maybe explained why Kinghorn went after missing the 1vs1 vs La Rochelle) but can he create a structure? Would've preferred him as skills coach I think.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's interesting he said 'most have responded' .... You wonder who hasn't, guess we'll find out soon.

Also does he suggest he was given Hodge and McRae but picked Grant to come in?

McRae is still an odd one - apparently the first thing the 7s do when brought to camp is intensive one to one tackling (maybe explained why Kinghorn went after missing the 1vs1 vs La Rochelle) but can he create a structure? Would've preferred him as skills coach I think.


I think McRae will prove to be a good coach. He has done a great job with the 7s and appears able to get his ideas across to players abd get them to buy into what he is after. It was a surprising appointment for that role but I think he will do a good job, even if it starts off with improving 1v1 tackling.

The retention of Hodge was baffling to me, IMO his jacket should still be on a shoogly peg. But overall I think the new set up is an exciting one. Cockerill clearly doesn't suffer fools gladly and Grant is an ideal candidate for the now popular recently "retired player" role that ever club seems to find.

With the change in ECC qualifying 7th has t be the aim, or if the Saffers come in then the aim is whatever position qualifies for the ECC.
BigD163
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

There was a piece in the Sunday Times about Robbie Freuan, was not aware just how much he had been through, had a heart valve replaced with pigs one which was not big enough and now has a cows one instead. Comes across well he needs playing time managed, but could be mega for us.

On topic - He also mentions the squad telling him to watch the Cockerill/Norm Hewitt Haka and a bits on how hard the squad is being worked. They have to earn the right to music in the gym etc. I am liking what I am hearing of the new regime so far certainly sounds like it is the boot up the KelvinDeaker that has long been needed.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby biffer on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:There was a piece in the Sunday Times about Robbie Freuan, was not aware just how much he had been through, had a heart valve replaced with pigs one which was not big enough and now has a cows one instead. Comes across well he needs playing time managed, but could be mega for us.

On topic - He also mentions the squad telling him to watch the Cockerill/Norm Hewitt Haka and a bits on how hard the squad is being worked. They have to earn the right to music in the gym etc. I am liking what I am hearing of the new regime so far certainly sounds like it is the boot up the KelvinDeaker that has long been needed.


Yeah, I'm liking what I've heard as well. Little things like having to clear your own plates away at meals, time keeping and making sure you're wearing the correct bits of kit are all important
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests