2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

According to the official Challenge Cup page, looks like only 2 of the 10 games being played this weekend are being televised. That's pretty grim!!

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fix ... ge_cup.php
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby joe soap on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 am

could be wrong but that be one more than last season.

With wall to wall Champions Cup available, the lesser competition is a hard sell.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

I watched Ldn Irish against Tigers at the weekend, or at least until the Boks v ABs started.

'Irish looked very vulnerable when Leicester upped the pace. Blair Cowan looked in good form
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:35 pm

ER twitter showing Charlie Sheil practicing his box kicks in training ahead of LI match...possible debut?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am

The Feral Goat wrote:ER twitter showing Charlie Sheil practicing his box kicks in training ahead of LI match...possible debut?


Shiel didn't play for Currie last week, apparently rested at Edinburgh's request.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Sean Gallagher and David Wilkinson are appointed for the two Edinburgh Challenge Cup games in December.

http://www.epcrugby.com/officials/index ... 18&round=4

Another two underqualified refs from the Irish production line.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby David990 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Considering how badly LI have played I expect Embra to pump them. They'll be concentrating on staying up in the Prem so they may send out a second/third XV.
David990
Embra Debut
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:55 am

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby gowrie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am

Weir and Nel drop out of the European squad, replaced by Van der Walt and Matt Shields.

Seems Shields was a Harlequins squad player, moved to Rotherham for this season. Don't know what's going on with Millar-Mills if we're signing another Championship TH to play ahead of him.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 am

Not good news on Nel, fairly certain I saw Tom Brown on crutches yesterday as well.

plus side Bennett expected to be fit and available for Krazny match
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm

gowrie wrote:Weir and Nel drop out of the European squad, replaced by Van der Walt and Matt Shields.

Seems Shields was a Harlequins squad player, moved to Rotherham for this season. Don't know what's going on with Millar-Mills if we're signing another Championship TH to play ahead of him.


Not surprised with Nel - broken bone is going to be 6 weeks, so he'll be aiming for the six nations. Can make a limited number of changes to your euro squad after the group stages so he'll be back for the QFs.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby germain on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 pm

McLelland pictured on twitter with Bennett and Marfo as a new face in the training. Could we see him against Krasny Yar as Cockerill said he would make some change for thaht game ?
We should see McInally and Wtason back for the Irish game in a pretty first choice XV.
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 pm

germain wrote:McLelland pictured on twitter with Bennett and Marfo as a new face in the training. Could we see him against Krasny Yar as Cockerill said he would make some change for thaht game ?
We should see McInally and Wtason back for the Irish game in a pretty first choice XV.


Got to think about the whole five games in a row then rest thing.

L'Oirish
Krasny Yar
Glasgow
Glasgow
Kings
Stade
Stade

Kings and Krasny Yar are the opportunities to rest players.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby Rico on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 pm

biffer wrote:
germain wrote:McLelland pictured on twitter with Bennett and Marfo as a new face in the training. Could we see him against Krasny Yar as Cockerill said he would make some change for thaht game ?
We should see McInally and Wtason back for the Irish game in a pretty first choice XV.


Kings and Krasny Yar are the opportunities to rest players.


Agreed - and potentially the second Stade game too if we've already qualified for the QFs by then
Rico
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:22 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Rico wrote:
biffer wrote:
germain wrote:McLelland pictured on twitter with Bennett and Marfo as a new face in the training. Could we see him against Krasny Yar as Cockerill said he would make some change for thaht game ?
We should see McInally and Wtason back for the Irish game in a pretty first choice XV.


Kings and Krasny Yar are the opportunities to rest players.


Agreed - and potentially the second Stade game too if we've already qualified for the QFs by then


Not so much - There's no game the following week, and it depends on who the likely opponents are / how likely a home QF is.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby Frenchy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Darcy Graham recalled from sevens squad by Edinburgh. Glenn Bryce replaces him.
Frenchy
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests