Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm

The SA prop, Luke Hamilton and NZ 9? Just don't really want Hamilton as we are stocked at back row.

What's the academy looking like for next year? Could be used to plug gaps but sadly none look like breaking through and this years under 20s aren't so good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:The SA prop, Luke Hamilton and NZ 9? Just don't really want Hamilton as we are stocked at back row.

What's the academy looking like for next year? Could be used to plug gaps but sadly none look like breaking through and this years under 20s aren't so good.

Probably right on the signings, though I agree about Hamilton. Not sure where he fits in a starting 23.

Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the U20s, even though they've been pretty bad. Last year's had a tough 6N too, and you'd never have picked Crosbie to break through if that's all you'd seen, and the England team from 2015 who were dire but a change of coaches later won the JWC.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Not sure I see the point of adding Luke Hamilton when you have Watson, Barclay, Mata, Bradbury, Crosby, Ritchie, Miller and potentially Hardie.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:21 pm

gowrie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:The SA prop, Luke Hamilton and NZ 9? Just don't really want Hamilton as we are stocked at back row.

Probably right on the signings, though I agree about Hamilton. Not sure where he fits in a starting 23.

Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the U20s, even though they've been pretty bad. Last year's had a tough 6N too, and you'd never have picked Crosbie to break through if that's all you'd seen, and the England team from 2015 who were dire but a change of coaches later won the JWC.

24-17 win over the orclets, just needed faith
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm

gowrie wrote:
gowrie wrote:

24-17 win over the orclets, just needed faith

Incredible stuff considering how strong england are and how bad the Scots looked. Incredible beating them at any level anyway. Fantastic. Egg on my face happily
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:45 am

biffer wrote:Not sure I see the point of adding Luke Hamilton when you have Watson, Barclay, Mata, Bradbury, Crosby, Ritchie, Miller and potentially Hardie.

Archie Erskine coming through as well - looked the standout player for this season's u20s before he got injured.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 am

biffer wrote:Not sure I see the point of adding Luke Hamilton when you have Watson, Barclay, Mata, Bradbury, Crosby, Ritchie, Miller and potentially Hardie.

Hamilton is a great player but surely only if Hardie leaves. But we 100% need another second row.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 am

potentially Hardie. Suspect he'll be shown the door. How long is Miller's contract for?

And remember who signed Hamilton for Tigers
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 am

joe soap wrote:

potentially Hardie. Suspect he'll be shown the door. How long is Miller's contract for?

Just think there are other priorities.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am

macdone wrote:Hamilton is a great player but surely only if Hardie leaves. But we 100% need another second row.

Gilco, Toolis, McKenzie, Carmichael and Hunter-Hill with Mata remember signed as a lock that can play 6 or 8 and Bradbury also able to cover in emergencies at 6’4” and the thick end of 18st. I think we are good there, especially in a reduced squad size if indeed that’s where we are heading. Is there another gem in this position sitting in the academy by any chance?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 am

joe soap wrote:potentially Hardie. Suspect he'll be shown the door. How long is Miller's contract for?

Miller is contracted to the end of next season. It's a shame he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do. In past seasons we would have probably seen quite a bit of hime with the league being dead and buried by Xmas. Further indicates the strength and depth we have in the back row.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:36 am

joe soap wrote:

Miller is gone - hopefully gets a chance with Glasgow as they need back rows.

Hardie is probably also going to leave which is a real shame. Indiscretion aside he's a good bloke and a top player.

But Crosbie, Ritchie, Bradbury, Watson, Barclay and Hamilton would all be pushing for Scotland squads and Mata is incredible. I just don't understand why the SRU would have all the backrows here no matter how much Cockers likes Hamilton. Means quality players aren't getting good game time.

Glasgow have Wilson, Harley, Matt Fagerson and perhaps Matt Smith in Scotland reckoning and after that Gibbins is class but the rest aren't up to much. Just makes so much sense to have Hamilton there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Hardie is probably also going to leave which is a real shame. Indiscretion aside he's a good bloke and a top player.

But Crosbie, Ritchie, Bradbury, Watson, Barclay and Hamilton would all be pushing for Scotland squads and Mata is incredible. I just don't understand why the SRU would have all the backrows here no matter how much Cockers likes Hamilton. Means quality players aren't getting good game time.

Glasgow have Wilson, Harley, Matt Fagerson and perhaps Matt Smith in Scotland reckoning and after that Gibbins is class but the rest aren't up to much. Just makes so much sense to have Hamilton there.

maybe sensibly the SRU are letting the pro teams coaches make decisions they will be held accountable for. Maybe folk on here should concentrate on that as well, rather than criticise the coach later for players he didnt sign.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Miller has another year on his contract.

I can’t be doing with this idea of balancing out between Edinburgh and Glasgow. If they’re not run as independent clubs neither of them will be any good.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Not convinced Hardie is going think the likes of him and Burleigh would have been announced with the CDP group if they were definitely away unless talks are ongoing.

Also think it is less likely we will see the SRU try and move players given how strong the coaches at the pro clubs now are they will only take players that fit their plan. In saying that if a quality player is being released from one club it would make sense for the other to look at them if they fit their needs as we did when Bennett was released, would have been stupid of us not to try and sign him.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum