Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Interesting to see Cherry on the bench rather than Ford and CHH rewarded for his work in adversity the last few weeks.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:31 pm

biffer wrote:Interesting to see Cherry on the bench rather than Ford and CHH rewarded for his work in adversity the last few weeks.



Ford not mentioned in the injured list.

CHH has been caught out positionally in defence a couple of times, but he's 21 so gets a pass. I think the three lads that have come in at lock have all done well, it was tough for them all to do it at the same time, ideally you'd want them to play one at a time with Gilcho, but good experience all the same.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

biffer wrote:Interesting to see Cherry on the bench rather than Ford and CHH rewarded for his work in adversity the last few weeks.


I think it is starting to look like 17 years (?) of pro rugby has caught up with Ford, thought last seasons long term injury may have given him a rest and done him some good but it looks the opposite and he appears a bit off the pace unfortunately.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby BigD163 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Good strong side that.

Newcastle have a few SQ names in there. I am sure I read Scotland have their eye on Williams. Johnstone v Harris will be interesting.

The Feral Goat wrote:
biffer wrote:Interesting to see Cherry on the bench rather than Ford and CHH rewarded for his work in adversity the last few weeks.


I think it is starting to look like 17 years (?) of pro rugby has caught up with Ford, thought last seasons long term injury may have given him a rest and done him some good but it looks the opposite and he appears a bit off the pace unfortunately.


Sadly looks that way. I think at that age players seem to get by through playing regularly.
BigD163
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Toon

15. Alex Tait, 14. Tom Arscott, 13. Chris Harris, 12. Pedro Bettencourt, 11. Adam Radwan, 10. Brett Connon, 9. Tane Takulua, 1. Adam Brocklebank, 2. George McGuigan, 3. David Wilson, 4. Tex Cavubati , 5. Glen Young, 6. Ryan Burrows (c), 7. Gary Graham, 8. Callum Chick.
Replacements:
16. Santi Socino, 17. Trevor Davison, 18. Sami Mavinga, 19. Calum Green, 20. Simon Uzokwe, 21. Sam Stuart, 22. Toby Flood, 23. Johnny Williams,



Have they loads of injuries or just not really going for this? No Goneva, no Sinnotti, no Mark Wilson, couple other surprising omissions as well.

So def no excuses.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Toon

15. Alex Tait, 14. Tom Arscott, 13. Chris Harris, 12. Pedro Bettencourt, 11. Adam Radwan, 10. Brett Connon, 9. Tane Takulua, 1. Adam Brocklebank, 2. George McGuigan, 3. David Wilson, 4. Tex Cavubati , 5. Glen Young, 6. Ryan Burrows (c), 7. Gary Graham, 8. Callum Chick.
Replacements:
16. Santi Socino, 17. Trevor Davison, 18. Sami Mavinga, 19. Calum Green, 20. Simon Uzokwe, 21. Sam Stuart, 22. Toby Flood, 23. Johnny Williams,



Have they loads of injuries or just not really going for this? No Goneva, no Sinnotti, no Mark Wilson, couple other surprising omissions as well.

So def no excuses.


This is on the Newcastle site

Explaining a selection which contains a whole raft of enforced changes, Richards added: “We have had three tight-head injuries in the last 24 hours, and with Jon Welsh, Craig Mitchell and Paul Mullen all also unavailable, if these props are unfit we have no tight-head cover. We are in dialogue with EPCR to try and resolve the issue, and that communication will continue.
“We lost a load of guys to head knocks last weekend including Kyle Cooper, Sean Robinson broke his arm again during the game, Mark Wilson has an ear infection, Nemani Nagusa has a leg problem, then we have Michael Young out with a fractured cheek bone. Our captain Will Welch is out long term with an ankle, Jon Welsh is out for a while, Will Witty has injured his knee, Josh Matavesi is out with an ankle, Joel Hodgson has broken a leg and Tom Penny is out with an ACL – you get the idea, and then we have a few other guys who are not registered for Europe due to the tournament regulations.”
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

It's a fair old injury list tbf, but doesn't explain Goneva and Sinnotti.
If you are missing all the rest I'd want at least one of those starting and the other on the bench. Radwan is very very quick but he won't run over and through players.

Whatever that is well short of a first pick Newcastle, so no excuses. Not from fans and definitely not from the coach.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Clearly very unfortunate for Newcastle but hopefully this issues (TH cover) will be resolved as certainly not in our interests to end up with uncontested scrums if their starting TH was injured.Disappointed no Taylor insteasd of Socino though I can understand concerns about his l;ack of experience.
Amused by recent comments that Fod's "legs have gone". And yet he displayed quite extraordinary pace and acceleration to cut down the Scarlets(?) centre and prevent a certain try only about 4 weeks ago! Cherry has lookedpretty good though in his few cameos.
liveinhope
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:45 pm

biffer wrote:Interesting to see Cherry on the bench rather than Ford and CHH rewarded for his work in adversity the last few weeks.


But not really a surprise. Last time encapsulated his career issues in one appearance. SRU have hung on to him too long in the hope he would find some form and take it to the RWC. Which seemed a bit of a stretch given he was well behind Rambo and Brown and he isn't exactly ideally suited to a fast off loading game: and he offers no leadership. Time to ditch emotion and move on. Happens to everyone.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

liveinhope wrote:Clearly very unfortunate for Newcastle but hopefully this issues (TH cover) will be resolved as certainly not in our interests to end up with uncontested scrums if their starting TH was injured.Disappointed no Taylor insteasd of Socino though I can understand concerns about his l;ack of experience.
Amused by recent comments that Fod's "legs have gone". And yet he displayed quite extraordinary pace and acceleration to cut down the Scarlets(?) centre and prevent a certain try only about 4 weeks ago! Cherry has lookedpretty good though in his few cameos.


That's what's so frustrating with Ford though. He looks as physically fit as he ever was, if not more so, but he doesn't look up to it in the tight or the loose.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:20 pm

biffer wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Clearly very unfortunate for Newcastle but hopefully this issues (TH cover) will be resolved as certainly not in our interests to end up with uncontested scrums if their starting TH was injured.Disappointed no Taylor insteasd of Socino though I can understand concerns about his l;ack of experience.
Amused by recent comments that Fod's "legs have gone". And yet he displayed quite extraordinary pace and acceleration to cut down the Scarlets(?) centre and prevent a certain try only about 4 weeks ago! Cherry has lookedpretty good though in his few cameos.


That's what's so frustrating with Ford though. He looks as physically fit as he ever was, if not more so, but he doesn't look up to it in the tight or the loose.


True, perhaps it is then a conditioning thing, he is definitely leaner than in previous seasons and has rarely been a big ball carrier for his size but always did a fair number of short carries in traffic, maybe power has been sacrificed too much to try and prolong his career.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I actually thought Fordy was coming on to a bit of form before his injury last Autumn, he looked like a different player with ball in hand. That was off the back of a decent summer tour where he scored a couple of tries against Italy in Singapore. I think he has helped the scrum when he has come on this season, though it's difficult to say that it's down to him alone

He's a couple of years younger than Rory Best. I don't think he's ever really had to work for his place before, but he could even be fourth choice at Edinburgh when Fenton is back. If he responds to the challenge, great, it will help himself, Edinburgh and Scotland.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm

As good a team as we can field with all injuries etc. Still think Dean and Johnston are a bit meh in midfield but there are the best we have at the moment. Would be happier with Scott and Bennet but perhaps in January?

Cherry v Ford - correct call on recent performances. I dont think Ford is fully fit. Re the chasing down the winger comment he did brilliantly to make the tackle but was subbed immediately thereafter, he was breathing through his KelvinDeaker after that effort. I dont think he has the fitness at the moment to play at pace required for a sustained period. Scrum held up with both Ford and Cherry at hooker. However main reason for not making the bench was his throwing last week was awful and we lost a few line outs when he came on. Cherry far more reliable, more mobile and should help around the park more.

VdW v Hickey - Hickey has not really done much and tends to sit deeper and deeper when under pressure. VdW threatens the gain line and is strong enough to make yards, he came on last week and then made the break and offload for Graham try, Hickey failed to do that whole time he was on. Still disappointed with Hickey TBH.

Taylor v Socino - I imagine the chance to play against his old team got him his place on the bench. I would have gone with Taylor, he was far more impressive last week and should have been rewarded with a bench place. Socino needs to do something soon!

They have some decent runners in the backs, I really like Tait and Harris and the young guys look very promising. However I suspect we will grind them down up front and have enough fast ball to get our dangerous back 3 into the game. A narrow win!
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Bennett hasn't been good for Edinburgh, of course injuries a factor. But if we're judging Edinburgh Bennett and not RWC Bennett then JJ has been the better player. And Dean is probably wanting to outplay Harris too.

Socino has a lot more top level experience than Taylor who's had one game. I hope we see more of him, but the Champions Cup isn't when you build depth, it's when you trust your guys.

Really should be putting away a second string Falcons side tbh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 am

doedin wrote:
VdW v Hickey - Hickey has not really done much and tends to sit deeper and deeper when under pressure. VdW threatens the gain line and is strong enough to make yards, he came on last week and then made the break and offload for Graham try, Hickey failed to do that whole time he was on. Still disappointed with Hickey TBH.



You're right, VdW is looking much better as a running threat, and I like his passing as well. His kicking has been woeful these last couple of weeks though. I hope for the forwards' sake he can get the ball near the five metre line this week.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron