Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:48 am

It's 1872 week, we are sitting top of our Champion's Cup group and we have announced nothing about signings or contract renewals for next season yet. This is the week we can expect a few announcements I would think as they ramp up the PR ahead of the Glasgow fixture. Cockers has also been ramping up the pressure on the SRU to get us a budget more in line with that which the Weeg enjoy and we do need to recruit for our backline. In meantime, we have 21 contracts expiring this year and it would be nice to get some news this week on Gilco, Mish, Henry, and I would say Hamilton, who has been absolutely outstanding for us this season and critical with the injuries we have had in the back row.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Looks like Glasgow are announcing one signing a day this week in the run up to the match. I know they have more ooc than us but don't know how coordinated by the SRU the process is in terms of release of announcements. Don't think we will have many this week but on the back of the champions Cup I think a big re-signing is likely, probably watson.

While we do have a fair number ooc I suspect we may see a bit of turnover again this season as Cockerill completes his rebuild.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 pm

I would have thought we'd keep our powder dry until the summer, build some hype around the club as we start selling season tickets for Minifield.
STKS
International

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 pm

STKS wrote:I would have thought we'd keep our powder dry until the summer, build some hype around the club as we start selling season tickets for Minifield.

You do realise that our two games at home to Glasgow accounted for 48.5% of the total attendances at BTM and Myreside last season. I think that would suggest it would be worth getting some of that powder wet this week don't you?
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Wottie wrote:
STKS wrote:I would have thought we'd keep our powder dry until the summer, build some hype around the club as we start selling season tickets for Minifield.

You do realise that our two games at home to Glasgow accounted for 48.5% of the total attendances at BTM and Myreside last season. I think that would suggest it would be worth getting some of that powder wet this week don't you?

I think that's proof that these games have no issue selling themselves. (re)signing news is of more interest to regular fans who would be considering a season ticket. The 1872 games are billed as more of a spectacle in order to attract fans who may not attend any other club rugby games this year. I'm going with a few friends who fall into that bracket, never been to a club rugby game but want to go to this. Don't think my friends, or people like them, would be swayed to buy an 1872 ticket because a player they've never heard of will be here for two more years.
STKS
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 am

Think with it being an RWC year focus will be elsewhere plus, at present, not being in a champions Cup qualification spot for next year we need to make hay now get some big re-signings announced.

If we can get out our group this year and qualify again next season I think ST sales will improve without too much work.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:51 am

In the week before the first 1872 last year we had; Lay, Fife, Johnston, Matta, Crosbie, Ritchie and Carmichael announced.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Wottie wrote:In the week before the first 1872 last year we had; Lay, Fife, Johnston, Matta, Crosbie, Ritchie and Carmichael announced.

Seeing as it's on Saturday they are clearly behind schedule then... Either that or they are saving it.

But as i mentioned, this isn't the sort of event that you would use that type of marketing, there may well be a (re)signing new this week, but i doubt it will be anything like last year or what Glasgow are doing. This year we have a smaller stadium with fewer season tickets to sell, time will come to make a big fuss about next year and i don't think it's yet. I can envisage us doing something like Bristol did this year with a crazy day of announcements that shows up all over social media right before season tickets go on sale.
STKS
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Agree it is likely. We will have a big splash around ST sales. Although I think we may lose a couple we would rather keep too.
When is John Barclay due back? Hopefully not long now and that would be good news to announce before the weekend!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:32 am

I thought at the start of the season we had too many backrows but injuries had other ideas.

Hopefully we can keep Hamilton and Watson, wonder if Miller will stick around.

Centres I think we need to replace Bennett. Just haven't got production from him and he'll be on a decent wedge.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree it is likely. We will have a big splash around ST sales. Although I think we may lose a couple we would rather keep too.
When is John Barclay due back? Hopefully not long now and that would be good news to announce before the weekend!

Cockers said the other day that it would be late Jan before Barclay is back.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Weegie on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I thought at the start of the season we had too many backrows but injuries had other ideas.

Centres I think we need to replace Bennett. Just haven't got production from him and he'll be on a decent wedge.

Miller has been on a sevens contract since the start of the year.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

EWT spoons wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree it is likely. We will have a big splash around ST sales. Although I think we may lose a couple we would rather keep too.

Cockers said the other day that it would be late Jan before Barclay is back.

Presumably he wouldn't go straight into the Scotland set up. We should have Bradbury and Ritchie back by that point though both of them plus Watson could be in the 6N squad.

Mata will be here, we'll need Miller again, if Carmichael isn't back by late January we should be worried about his long term future in the game.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Weegie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I thought at the start of the season we had too many backrows but injuries had other ideas.

Miller has been on a sevens contract since the start of the year.

It's unfortunate because Miller showed some ability but just no space for him.

It's the Millers, Wynnes etc that would benefit from a third pro team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Weegie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's the Millers, Wynnes etc that would benefit from a third pro team.

Really wish the SRU would put more work into London Scottish to develop talent rather than to use it as a place for players that have no use anymore. That's a whole other thread though.
STKS
International

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum