Wasps 6 Dec

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Wasps 6 Dec

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:LawrenceBryce me Clancy can suck all enjoyment out of a wonderful sport.

Good win in the end, wasps backs looked decent but had little good ball thankfully. We wasted a few good chances but finished others well.

I thought ritchie was motm. His energy and performance level since around the last 6n has been off the chart. I m going to say itx a modern day finlay Calder, never takes a step back and delivers time after time.

Edit: should add Taylor had another good shift as well great to see him progressing well.

Aye, best two players on the park were Ritchie and Taylor, but our back three looked dangerous as a unit and individually.
Up front I thought Schoey was immense, we would have won a lot more comfortably if Clancy and his touch judges been paying more attention to the scrum, but we have to go there next week and not give them a choice.
On that note, Ceccarelli is our number one tighthead on form as things stand, he is killing it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:31 am

We absolutely mullered them up front and if Clancy hadn’t let them collapse the scrums then it could have been much better. We gifted them one try and the other was in dying minutes of the game. No-one had a bad game but we seemed to play within ourselves and still won convincingly. Wasps poor up front and a lot of lateral play from their backs . Their forwards were unfit and very sluggish. Very disappointed with their backs who promised a lot on paper but didn’t deliver.

Excellent result given we rested a few players or were injured (Nel, Scott, Bennett). Good depth of squad. We looked good once we started playing at pace. 5 points, job done, let’s move on to next week.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:56 am

Good game, everyone got stuck in, it’s hard work playing against 15 big lads but when another 3 in green join in it was never going to be easy. Can’t make Coventry due to another event so shouting at the tv will have to do.
A big cheer to the management team who are getting the team on the park in a manner we can enjoy. (Mostly)
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 am

Wow that was a tough watch. We couldn’t even win with Clancy playing 16th man. I assume there wasn’t a TMO tonight. Good job because we could and should have been down to 13 at one point.

Clancy makes JP look world class and I say that when he had a wasps shirt on most of the game.

From the Wasps forum.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 am

doedin wrote:Excellent result given we rested a few players or were injured (Nel, Scott, Bennett). Good depth of squad. We looked good once we started playing at pace. 5 points, job done, let’s move on to next week.

The “playing at pace” thing is very noticeable, we looked very good last night when we picked it up, similarly we looked vulnerable against Munster and Leinster when they did it. I know Cockers likes a measured approach but we need to up the tempo, we are a dangerous side when we do
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Pretty enjoyable evening.Good crowd and-at least after the first 25 minutes-some good fast rugby.Really total control of all the set-pieces and scoreline could easily have shown a far larger gap.
Anyway we got the five points but I imagine some big decisions about next weeks line up.The Glasgow double header is much more important.Expect Wasps will take the chance to rest a few now they have already lost two fixtures and are in trouble in the Premiership.Equally its an away game but it would be good to see all/some of Hoyland,Groom Bhatti(or Sutherland)and another lock start.Also Nel is due back next week. Kinghorn and Gilchrist probably due a rest.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:59 pm

The Wasps’ fans in front of us said that they pretty much had their strongest possible team out last night, given a few injuries (Launchberry in particular). It was only player fit and available who would otherwise have played was Minozzi. On that basis, a thoroughly satisfactory and comfortable victory.

Thought that the Pyrgos/Hickey axis fizzed delightfully at times, with Hank’s service from the ruck being demonstrably quicker than I’d noticed for a while. Whole midfield fronted up well and I genuinely couldn’t think of a single player who disappointed. A try for Mr Darcy would’ve sealed the night though.

And, obviously, could someone actually buy Clancy a copy of the rulebook...
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:44 am

Anyone seen any highlights anywhere?

BT should Taylors try and that was it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:07 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Anyone seen any highlights anywhere?

BT should Taylors try and that was it.

Such as they are, the highlights are up on the club site now. They make the Pro 14 highlights look like an in-depth analysis.

Better than no footage at all I suppose, and we need to get into the big boys’ cup next season for good coverage
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Just seem the highlights, I hadn't realised just how good George Taylors pass for Duhans try was. It was really very good.

I have been realy impressed by him every time I have seen him and Friday was a different type if performance, taking a lot of crash ball and distributing. Hopefully he can learn from Scott and Bennet.

Hickey was also very good, I really do think that although VDW is good and makes us a harder team to beat, we look far more dangerous with Hickey in the team. Things just seem to flow a bit more. His tackling is pretty poor though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Just seem the highlights, I hadn't realised just how good George Taylors pass for Duhans try was. It was really very good.

I have been realy impressed by him every time I have seen him and Friday was a different type if performance, taking a lot of crash ball and distributing. Hopefully he can learn from Scott and Bennet.

Hickey was also very good, I really do think that although VDW is good and makes us a harder team to beat, we look far more dangerous with Hickey in the team. Things just seem to flow a bit more. His tackling is pretty poor though.

Yeah I didn't think Taylor was up to much but he's maybe been the pick of the centres this year which is something when you consider Bennett and Scott putting in good performances.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 am

Weegie wrote:
Wow that was a tough watch. We couldn’t even win with Clancy playing 16th man. I assume there wasn’t a TMO tonight. Good job because we could and should have been down to 13 at one point.

Clancy makes JP look world class and I say that when he had a wasps shirt on most of the game.

From the Wasps forum.

The annoying thing about Clancy for me was that he was waving on high tackles and reckless bad play - that Wasps sub flanker was on a mission to get a yellow card and Clancy begrudgingly gave a penalty.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:

I think Hickey is more creative and can vary play more, VDW is a strong runner though. Hickey seems relatively small to me? At least from TV pictures.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:39 am

robdinsdale wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:

I think Hickey is more creative and can vary play more, VDW is a strong runner though. Hickey seems relatively small to me? At least from TV pictures.

Hickey is probably the smallest player in our squad if his tackle technique is not spot on he is going to struggle.

Both Hickey and VDW are place kicking very well at present which is good to see. VDW in particular has come on massively since he arrived in this aspect.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum