Challenge Cup 21/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup 21/22

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 pm

I thought it was clear that everyone knew what to do in attack. There were options off majority of phases.

Always a player looping round, forwards and backs pulling passes back to the looping player rather than just popping 3ft left or right. It is ticking along nicely at present.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:00 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I thought it was clear that everyone knew what to do in attack. There were options off majority of phases.

Always a player looping round, forwards and backs pulling passes back to the looping player rather than just popping 3ft left or right. It is ticking along nicely at present.

This. It was interesting to see the lines we ran and the support around the try scorers, having an option makes defences think twice and fixes them. Also we seemed to play with a faster pace than Brive could cope with. Anyone else think Owsley looks like a young Tim Visser?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:50 pm

doedin wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I thought it was clear that everyone knew what to do in attack. There were options off majority of phases.

This. It was interesting to see the lines we ran and the support around the try scorers, having an option makes defences think twice and fixes them. Also we seemed to play with a faster pace than Brive could cope with. Anyone else think Owsley looks like a young Tim Visser?

I think the pace was a big thing. They are a big team and if Edinburgh had tried taking them on head on the result would have been different. So the generally smaller Edinburgh players just kept moving the point of attack until the Brive defence broke down.

I was particularly impressed with the raw aggression of many of the Edinburgh players.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:11 pm

doedin wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Anyone else think Owsley looks like a young Tim Visser?

Hard to tell, most times he was close to me he was moving as a blur.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Some observations on the match and on red trousers, both of which I very much enjoyed: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Some observations on the match and on red trousers, both of which I very much enjoyed: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Great stuff, lang may your rid breeks bring guid luck.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:35 am

+1.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:02 pm

£39.95 well spent, I feel.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Good result at Saracens (beating Irish 45-24 this afternoon). Means we will top the group with any victory over Pau-even a draw or a 2BP loss will get us through.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Saracens picked a good time to come to the party.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 am

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Very good all round performance.

The defensive intensity was probably the most gratifying part. Glen Young was very good on the first half, it just the tried but also his defence and counter rucking

Scrum a comcern and line out was a bit of a mess again, we really do need to sort that out.

Lots of good performances, Kinghorn really is growing, Bennet oozes class and Boffeli is very reassuring in every aspect of his play

The scrum looked very good earlier in the season no matter who we picked, though WP's cameo against (I think) The Stormers was special.
It's a concern if has gone off the boil

In this game we were playing our Super 6 props against a decent scrummaging outfit so I wouldn't read too much into that.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:11 am

Martin Bell wrote:Some observations on the match and on red trousers, both of which I very much enjoyed: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

"Blair Pitch Project"

Very good.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am

Some suggestion on other forums that if we beat Pau with a BP likeliest draw in last 16 will be Bath (apparently dependent on the Toulon v Biarritz result).Sounds a good draw (at home if happens) just now but in three months time Bath's huge injury woes may be behind them.Anyway always good to play someone outwith our league and that we haven't often faced (I think we met Bath at least once in the same Heineken pool but c.12 years ago.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 am

liveinhope wrote:Some suggestion on other forums that if we beat Pau with a BP likeliest draw in last 16 will be Bath (apparently dependent on the Toulon v Biarritz result).Sounds a good draw (at home if happens) just now but in three months time Bath's huge injury woes may be behind them.Anyway always good to play someone outwith our league and that we haven't often faced (I think we met Bath at least once in the same Heineken pool but c.12 years ago.)

Bath might also have new coaches by that point, surely?

I went down to that last match down at the Rec. Those were the days - David Blair at 10!
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:55 am

robdinsdale wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Some suggestion on other forums that if we beat Pau with a BP likeliest draw in last 16 will be Bath (apparently dependent on the Toulon v Biarritz result).Sounds a good draw (at home if happens) just now but in three months time Bath's huge injury woes may be behind them.Anyway always good to play someone outwith our league and that we haven't often faced (I think we met Bath at least once in the same Heineken pool but c.12 years ago.)

Bath might also have new coaches by that point, surely?

I went down to that last match down at the Rec. Those were the days - David Blair at 10!

Unlikely unless Munster allow them to leave early.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum