Meadowbank revamp

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Meadowbank revamp

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 pm

I've heard many times over the years why Edinburgh can't go to Meadowbank, the actual logistics about a multi function arena many be the most compelling.
However "this" has been going on for years & we are no further forward than we were a decade ago.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Mon May 04, 2015 6:02 am

I couldn't agree more with this from today's Scotsman.

A final thought. Twickenham Stoop proved to be an excellent venue for Friday’s final – an impressive set-up and the perfect size for the occasion. You couldn’t help but wistfully imagine that there was such a thing as the “BT Murrayfield Stoop”. For it is an inescapable truth that whenever you contemplate the longer-term future of Edinburgh, the elephant in the room is that it is difficult to see how the club can truly thrive – as Glasgow have at Scotstoun – while rattling around the cavernous national stadium.
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Thu May 07, 2015 11:06 am

It does seem strange to me that smallis football clubs managed to build decent venues which would fit the bill for Edinburgh. Inverness and St Mirren most recently. Bear in mind also that they lack the backing of an International sponsor and the national union. Nor are they allowed terracing which is much cheaper and would be allowed in rugby.

Back pitches at Murrayfield - get it built!
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 am

ratty wrote:It does seem strange to me that smallis football clubs managed to build decent venues which would fit the bill for Edinburgh. Inverness and St Mirren most recently. Bear in mind also that they lack the backing of an International sponsor and the national union. Nor are they allowed terracing which is much cheaper and would be allowed in rugby.

St Mirren already had a ground at Love Street, so they had an asset to sell. It was bought by a supermarket and the money used to build a new ground. I think ICT did something similar, selling both of the small grounds that Caley and Thistle had before the merger. We're not in the same situation and it's not a reasonable comparison.

I'm certain we'll end up at Accies ground once it's built, but the SRU can't go in and back it now because it'd be seen to be backing one club above the others and would cause much harrumphing in committee rooms in the east. Once Accies have their funding in place, I could see the SRU putting up the money for a hybrid pitch so that the stadium can handle Accies, Edinburgh games and various other matches which might be played there.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu May 07, 2015 11:37 am

biffer wrote:
ratty wrote:It does seem strange to me that smallis football clubs managed to build decent venues which would fit the bill for Edinburgh. Inverness and St Mirren most recently. Bear in mind also that they lack the backing of an International sponsor and the national union. Nor are they allowed terracing which is much cheaper and would be allowed in rugby.

St Mirren already had a ground at Love Street, so they had an asset to sell. It was bought by a supermarket and the money used to build a new ground. I think ICT did something similar, selling both of the small grounds that Caley and Thistle had before the merger. We're not in the same situation and it's not a reasonable comparison.

I'm certain we'll end up at Accies ground once it's built, but the SRU can't go in and back it now because it'd be seen to be backing one club above the others and would cause much harrumphing in committee rooms in the east. Once Accies have their funding in place, I could see the SRU putting up the money for a hybrid pitch so that the stadium can handle Accies, Edinburgh games and various other matches which might be played there.

Agreed. Or rather if this isn't being looked at then questions need to be asked. To have the Meggetland stadium built seemingly without consideration was daft, to miss this chance again would be negligent.
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu May 07, 2015 1:32 pm

ratty wrote:Back pitches at Murrayfield - get it built!

Oh how easy is that
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Thu May 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:
To have the Meggetland stadium built seemingly without consideration was daft, to miss this chance again would be negligent.

Although it would appear to have been daft to miss that opportunity the contract to build it was concluded by Applecross and Edinburgh Council with no SRU involvement when Edinburgh were playing infront of 2-300 folk at Myreside. At that time there was little or need for a 3000 seater stadium. Also at that time the council were trying to increase usage and development at Meadowbank..

The development contract which was only subject to the granting of planning got stuck in the planning / appeal process for 6/7 years and had the SRU been involved looking for even slight increases in capacity I reckon the Stadium wouldn't be there yet.

I also go along with Biffer regarding Raeburn Place which would be my preferred location.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Ron wrote:
I also go along with Biffer regarding Raeburn Place which would be my preferred location.

:D

Raeburn place would be fantastic. Can you imagine the bars in Stockbridge before a Munster game or for a European sellout of 7000? It'd create a tremendous buzz, and as Glasgow have shown, once you get a few sell outs, then tickets start to sell earlier.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu May 07, 2015 2:36 pm

There was a lot* of local objection to the Raeburn Place development, and they are still at it, opposing licence applications for the proposed cafe/restaurant and for the main stand itself.

*"a lot" in terms of how vocal they are, I don't know about actual numbers.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Ron wrote:
Edinburgh Shark wrote:
To have the Meggetland stadium built seemingly without consideration was daft, to miss this chance again would be negligent.

Although it would appear to have been daft to miss that opportunity the contract to build it was concluded by Applecross and Edinburgh Council with no SRU involvement when Edinburgh were playing infront of 2-300 folk at Myreside. At that time there was little or need for a 3000 seater stadium. Also at that time the council were trying to increase usage and development at Meadowbank..

The development contract which was only subject to the granting of planning got stuck in the planning / appeal process for 6/7 years and had the SRU been involved looking for even slight increases in capacity I reckon the Stadium wouldn't be there yet.

Timing doesn't sound right, bearing in mind we've not been based out of Myreside for years. Sure development happened whilst we've been based at HQ and how long were we at Meadowbank before that? Was contact really signed that long ago? Pitch and lighting issues could still be resolved but leaving so little space down the houses side of the pitch was so short sighted when you see how much wasteland there is, moving the pitch away from the perimeter would have had no impact (in my uneducated opinion)
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There was a lot* of local objection to the Raeburn Place development, and they are still at it, opposing licence applications for the proposed cafe/restaurant and for the main stand itself.

*"a lot" in terms of how vocal they are, I don't know about actual numbers.

The planning went through, it's past the stage where any further objections can be raised (Scottish Government were asked to call it in but refused). Licensing would have been considered as part of the planning process, and there's currently a bar on the rugby ground, so it's an extension to a current license.

Frankly the people opposing it are complete fools. Accies can't survive in their current location and it's either this or the ground gets sold to a developer and turned into a tesco.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu May 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Whilst I agree with you biffer

http://www.savestockbridge.com/?p=522
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Whilst I agree with you biffer

http://www.savestockbridge.com/?p=522

Most they're likely to do is put some restrictions on times, number of occasions etc. A lot will depend on what's in the existing licence for accies and the licenses for pubs / hotels nearby.

A lot of objections doesn't mean anything if they're just saying 'waah, waah, me no likey' - it depends if they're actually valid under the normal terms of reference of the licensing board.

It'll go ahead.
biffer
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum