Cardiff v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cardiff v Edinburgh

Postby zt1903 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 pm

zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:46 am

Tichtheid wrote:I'd say it is definitely worth a gander, bignose. Though it's a frustrating watch at times....

I've just got to Coman's yellow card.

I've shouted at Te Rure three or four times, Fife and Cuthbert a couple each and at dear old Dudley more times than is healthy. I had to be helped away from the television after the card. I'll try again later this evening but if I end up with a burst blood vessel, I'll be blaming you Tichtheid.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 pm

bignose wrote:. I'll try again later this evening but if I end up with a burst blood vessel, I'll be blaming you Tichtheid.

I did put in a disclaimer, I'm afraid one watches at ones own risk, responsibility for damage to persons, belongings or mental health lies with the viewer - this is Edinburgh Rugby we're talking about.

A minimum of a bottle of Highland Park usually helps. (Sorted :airborne: :airborne: :airborne: )
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 pm

doedin wrote:Think there are a few deluded posters here! We really do need to be realistic and not look to explain away poor performances. This is a Cardiff team that has won only 4 times before playing us - once against each of the Italians and twice against the Dragons. They have not beat anyone currently above them in the league, apart from us. This is also the Cardiff team who got beat and conceded 40 points away to Treviso the week before. This is the Cardiff team that lost their coach the week we played them. This is the Cardiff team we beat comfortably in November. Lets face it Cardiff are pretty hopeless - look at the stats - yet we didn’t beat them!

That would be the same Cardiff that just beat Connaught? There are indeed lots of differing options on here, no need to call anyone delusional though, everyone seems to have a decent reason for their point of view (even yourself sometimes).
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:39 am

Good game! Stronger Cardiff side this week with a couple of their internationalists back playing, Cuthbert and Anscombe made a huge difference for them and a converted try in the 87th minute to win by one point. I thought they were a little lucky as Connaught had a perfectly good turnover in the 84th minute which the referee penalised them for, which would have given Connaught the win. That gives Cardiff 6 wins now this season they’ve overtaken the Dragons and are catching us up, only 5 points behind! They are still a little off being world beaters though, or even making it into the top 6.

Oh how low our ambition has fallen! We really do need to set our benchmark a little higher than a LB against what was then the team in 9th position in the league, only just sitting above the Italians.

If you read my whole post my main gripe was we really should have clobbered Cardiff with the amount of possession we had through the set piece. We dominated the scrums and the line out, had tons of good possession in the 2nd half and yet still managed to only scramble a LB. To then try and explain our deficiencies away, particularly our woefully inadequate back play, by claiming that Cardiff are a good side was and still is just plain delusional.

However the good news is we can catch up Connaught by beating Treviso, the 2nd bottom team in the league who have only won 3 games this season and conceded the most points of any team - an average of over 30 points a game. Surely a win with a TB is the minimum expected ... or am I now delusional?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:57 pm

doedin wrote:However the good news is we can catch up Connaught by beating Treviso, the 2nd bottom team in the league who have only won 3 games this season and conceded the most points of any team - an average of over 30 points a game. Surely a win with a TB is the minimum expected ... or am I now delusional?

Edinburgh lost to Cardiff, Treviso beat Cardiff. Always dangerous to take results in isolation but that makes a TB look optimistic.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:15 pm

doedin wrote:Surely a win with a TB is the minimum expected ... or am I now delusional?

So far this season, only Munster and Glasgow have come away from their game at Treviso with a comfortable (10+ points) winning margin. Leinster only drew.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 pm

doe din wrote: However the good news is we can catch up Connaught by beating Treviso, the 2nd bottom team in the league who have only won 3 games this season and conceded the most points of any team - an average of over 30 points a game. Surely a win with a TB is the minimum expected ... or am I now delusional?

Wasn't a gimmy by any means and I think you'll agree we did well to get the TB considering other teams performances against them. Why do I get the feeling that you would have preferred a poor performance from Edinburgh though....?
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm

It was a professional performance and the type of performance we should have shown against both Ulster and Cardiff. Having a 9 and 10 who can play together and actually do the basics right was a big boost. It merely shows how poor some of our options are once we lose our first line players - we don’t have a competent back up 10, we have 3rd choice hooker who can’t throw a line out straight under no pressure, a tight head who face plants every time he is under pressure, etc. It gives us an outside chance of making the top 6 but things would have been all so different if we had got the wins we should have had against Ulster and Cardiff!

On the other point you make I respectively suggest you keep your feelings to yourself! They are neither constructive, accurate nor welcomed. Telepathy is obviously not one of your many strengths?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:24 pm

doedin wrote:It was a professional performance and the type of performance we should have shown against both Ulster and Cardiff. Having a 9 and 10 who can play together and actually do the basics right was a big boost. It merely shows how poor some of our options are once we lose our first line players - we don’t have a competent back up 10, we have 3rd choice hooker who can’t throw a line out straight under no pressure, a tight head who face plants every time he is under pressure, etc. It gives us an outside chance of making the top 6 but things would have been all so different if we had got the wins we should have had against Ulster and Cardiff!

On the other point you make I respectively suggest you keep your feelings to yourself! They are neither constructive, accurate nor welcomed. Telepathy is obviously not one of your many strengths?

4th choice surely?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 pm

disco wrote:
doedin wrote:It was a professional performance and the type of performance we should have shown against both Ulster and Cardiff. Having a 9 and 10 who can play together and actually do the basics right was a big boost. It merely shows how poor some of our options are once we lose our first line players - we don’t have a competent back up 10, we have 3rd choice hooker who can’t throw a line out straight under no pressure, a tight head who face plants every time he is under pressure, etc. It gives us an outside chance of making the top 6 but things would have been all so different if we had got the wins we should have had against Ulster and Cardiff!

4th choice surely?

Debatable, but if he was 4th choice at the time, he probably wouldn't have been playing.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:32 pm

McInally was a late withdrawal for the Ulster game IIRC and Ford was away with Scotland, hence Hilterbrand up to the bench. Likeable enough guy, but the suspicion that he'd be more likely to be retained as flanker than hooker (based on his form in the two positions this season) kind of says it all. I'm assuming his contract is up at the end of the season and will not be renewed.

Will be interesting to see who gets the no2 spot - Cochrane or McInally? SJ might dictate the latter as it was his grand plan to move him from the back row...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

disco wrote:

4th choice surely?

Agree on Andress, it really hasn't worked out and there is a sense of foreboding when he comes on. Hopefully a stop gap until Berghan has an injury-free run (and/or Dell, I think he can play loose head and tight head?)
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah McInally was originally listed on the bench but Hilterbrand came in as a late change presumably through injury.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 pm

New Gunner wrote:McInally was a late withdrawal for the Ulster game IIRC

Forgot about that, sorry.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum