Nasi Manu

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Nasi Manu

Postby Geordie on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:48 am

Great game by our new number 8 Nasi "Nacho" Manu. Can't wait to see what he brings to Edinburgh!

"Nacho, Nacho man! I want to be a Nacho Man"
Geordie
Established pro

Re: Nasi Manu

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:32 pm

At least we signed a super 15 winner rather than someone who may or may not want to come.

I hope the pack stays fit and clIcks. Could be PaulHoniss ening
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Good to see a quality signing.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Dave Denton - straight fight for the No. 8 jersey or will Denton be accommodated elsewhere? Seem to remember him playing as a flanker in the past.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 pm

The common theme from all the commentators this season has been how the Highlanders have played as a proper team and how they have been more than the sum of their parts. This theme was continued from the players themselves a few weeks ago when they said they wanted to win for Nasi Manu because he is such an inspirational leader.

Yes the Highlanders have a stellar backline, but really there are only a couple of established internationals there in the pair of Smiths, Naholo and Sopoaga are recent call-ups.

They triumphed this season due to their team spirit, that thing that has been lacking for Edinburgh in the past and has only begun to regrow during the season just finished.
I'd love to see Manu bring that spirit to Edinburgh, where "no-names" can batter players with illustrious pedigrees off the park - the Tahs pack last week was full of internationals, the week before they beat a Chiefs pack, at least half of which were All Blacks - this is the same theme, reputations don't matter when you are playing a side full of belief and commitment, the Highlanders have been playing a lock out of club rugby because of injuries and they didn't moan or whinge, they just put their heads down, gathered round and got on with the task in hand.

I'm not sure where this leaves Denton, tbh, but I think that a successful rugby season now needs at least three players of quality in each position in the forwards, and I think we have that in our pack, with a possible shortfall at tighthead.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Tichtheid wrote:They triumphed this season due to their team spirit, that thing that has been lacking for Edinburgh in the past and has only begun to regrow during the season just finished.
I'd love to see Manu bring that spirit to Edinburgh, where "no-names" can batter players with illustrious pedigrees off the park - the Tahs pack last week was full of internationals, the week before they beat a Chiefs pack, at least half of which were All Blacks - this is the same theme, reputations don't matter when you are playing a side full of belief and commitment, the Highlanders have been playing a lock out of club rugby because of injuries and they didn't moan or whinge, they just put their heads down, gathered round and got on with the task in hand.

Your spot on there. It was pretty clear throughout the match the leadership qualities Manu has, delighted we have managed to bring a player of his quality to the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10zKdO63Fw

Hopefully we will see him leading a victory chant in black and red.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:46 am

With Dentons concussion history i suspect he may play less matches over the coming season.

Really looking forward to seeing Manu in Black and Red, someone has done well to secure him for Edinburgh
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am

Our most exciting signing since Larkham?!
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:47 pm

02ict328 wrote:Our most exciting signing since Larkham?!

Neck & neck with Cornell and Vis I would say!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Wottie wrote:

As a signing? Surely far and above both of them.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:51 pm

hp18 wrote:
Wottie wrote:

As a signing? Surely far and above both of them.

Yes on reflection ,Vis was more about hindsight and we didn't know much about him when he signed. I had seen a lot of Du Preez and Manu before they signed and they are neck and neck, for different reasons however. Du Preez for his age and raw potential and Manu for experience and leadership. Over the moon to have both in the same back row. Going to push Denton big time as well.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Great addition for Edinburgh, and fantastic performance by the Higlanders. They won due to their team ethic, tactical kicking, tenacity at the breakdown and really slick back play.

Interesting interview with Nasi, confirming his potential as a project player (and the assessment that he has been unlucky to miss out on an All Black cap, even better for us as an indication of quality):

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2015/ ... land-call/
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:14 pm

gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Jon on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

I heard something that Manu is only with us to early September, basically looking for a new club as he is without a contract currently....
Jon
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 am

Jon wrote:I heard something that Manu is only with us to early September, basically looking for a new club as he is without a contract currently....

Huh? He's signed a two year contract here.

"Edinburgh Rugby have moved to cover the likely absence of David Denton at this autumn’s World Cup by signing 26-year-old back row Nasi Manu from Dunedin-based Super 15 side The Highlanders on a two-year-contract."

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/s ... -1-3726314
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

Hardie is out of contract at present may be here until RWC in September time?

Manu is all over the marketing stuff so fairly certain hs is here for a couple of years
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum