Last game: Ospreys (H) 2 October

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Next game: Ospreys (H) 2 October

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:27 pm

On the bright side we could be greeting about losing 240,000,000,000 to rwc
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Jockybadger wrote:robdinsdale,

Aye true but that was ,on the whole, lamentable entertainment tonight.

To give AS his due he has assembled a formidable pack of forwards but at the expense of the backs / back tactics.

You win very little without a solid platform and he always said it would be a long project. First become hard to beat, then learn to win, maybe even win ugly. Then you build the platform the foundations and the confidence to build on.
I would much rather win ugly than fail gloriously.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:00 pm

We are winning games that is the most important thing! Even when not playing particularly well we have won the last two, seasons past we would have lost them.

As has been said Watson was outstanding.

Would like to see berghan given more game time. Him and Sutherland make for a couple of giant props.

Officiating poor as usual but then any decent ref will be on rwc duty.

It is win we are top of the league tonight lets not be too unhappy and we have a lot of good players to come into a winning team post rwc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:36 pm

I had to switch off after around twenty minutes, it was doing me in and I'm an eternal optimist.

I recorded it so I'll catch up on Sunday after Japan put Samoa out, we beat South Africa and Australia kick England into touch.

For now I'm more than happy with the points.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I had to switch off after around twenty minutes, it was doing me in and I'm an eternal optimist.

I recorded it so I'll catch up on Sunday after Japan put Samoa out, we beat South Africa and Australia kick England into touch.

It got a lot better after almost exactly 20 minutes. Not often pretty, but a lot better than the first 20 minutes.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm not caring how we did it, we won, job done. If we played like that and lost I'd be furious :roll:
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:17 pm

At least we didn't actually look like we might lose this one, even if we were a bit sluggish.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Frenchy wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I had to switch off after around twenty minutes, it was doing me in and I'm an eternal optimist.

It got a lot better after almost exactly 20 minutes. Not often pretty, but a lot better than the first 20 minutes.

Thought it was pretty dire throughout tbh, but take the points and move on. Ospreys post RWC won't lose many.
Nice to see the Irish ref factory still has no quality controls.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:16 am

Jockybadger wrote:robdinsdale,

Aye true but that was ,on the whole, lamentable entertainment tonight.

To give AS his due he has assembled a formidable pack of forwards but at the expense of the backs / back tactics.

Appreciate that it was ugly, but

1. Only good sides can play badly and still win comfortably
2. I got fed up of watching us play exciting rugby and losing
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:17 am

Not a game that will live long in the memory, as they say. But that's sport, sometimes a game never really gets going. We were lamentably slow to start, I thought the players had all been on mogadon or something. Still we managed to get into second gear enough to grind out the win in the end. Credit to the Ospreys, their defence was good, but I'm sure all involved know a step up will be required when Ulster roll into town.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:24 pm

I watched the rest of it

Argghhh, my eyes! :eek:

Four points in the bag, but a hell of a lot of work needs doing. I don't mind kick tennis so long as we win at it and I think we only won one such exchange the entire game.

It took fifteen minutes to convert a kick to the corner to a score towards the end of the first half, the couple of times in that passage Edinburgh threw it wide it was slow and ponderous and I was left thinking about the time a few months back when Leinster came to Murrayfield and played high tempo, simple rugby, just changing the point and direction of attack and they ripped us to shreds.
The one time Kennedy went the other way Burleigh went over for the score.

We are vulnerable at the breakdown because there is no dynamism there, whether in protecting our own possession or trying to disrupt theirs. Nasi Manu has only been here five minutes but the difference he makes is so bleeding obvious. Watson has to start, Nasi when fit and du Preez should make up the third man. Swap Denton in on rotation. Coman looked short last season's form but it was his first hit out.

The boys really have to up the tempo, we've got guys with genuine pace in Dean, Brown and Hoyland, if Strauss is going to play the bosher roll he needs to bring more to the table and get over that gainline, knock his man back and the clearout behind him has to be quick and uncompromising.

Fowles is ahead of Kennedy for my money.

I don't think the problem is with the personnel, it's the pace we play at, the pace and the intensity or lack thereof.

As Crichton Gunner says, next week is a whole different kettle of ball games and we need to have a much more aggressive approach if we are to get anything out of it, and I really really want to beat Ulster.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Happily take the points, but room for improvement. It was the sort of game Edinburgh would have thrown away in past seasons.

Tonks looked good and should retain the fullback slot as this is his best position.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
I don't think the problem is with the personnel, it's the pace we play at, the pace and the intensity or lack thereof.

As Crichton Gunner says, next week is a whole different kettle of ball games and we need to have a much more aggressive approach if we are to get anything out of it, and I really really want to beat Ulster.

This, basically. We just seem to be coasting a bit at the moment. I think we're going out on the pitch knowing that the pack is going to be able to put the squeeze on the opposition. It's not overly concerning as we're sitting top of the league or thereabouts, but we'll definitely need to regain our intensity if we want the run of results to continue.

On a more positive note, Brown and Tonks both looked to be in form on Friday night and Hoyland and Dean have slotted into the first team pretty comfortably - sounds like Solomons really rates their performances as well.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:30 pm

I think Hoyland in particular has looked really good. Always looking for work, good pace and strength, and awareness of the right option as well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 pm

He doesn't look like the type of youngster who needs easing into first team rugby. If Brown is back in form, I think Dougie Fife will be struggling to get a look in.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum