New Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh moves a step closer

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: New Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh moves a step closer

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am

Martin Bell wrote:I know it's just a news report and all that, but the thing that strikes me is what is not mentioned - Edinburgh Rugby. It's not clear that we are in the Council's thinking now .......

I was led to believe that Edinburgh Rugby declined any involvement with the Meadowbank redevelopment.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

If there was to be a running track involved then we should stay clear of Meadowbank IMO.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Just for general interest, then: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/articl ... meadowbank

"The new sports centre is set to include:
• An outdoor athletics track with a 500 seat stand
• Two multi-sport games halls
• Three fitness studios
• A gym
• A gymnastics hall
• Two squash courts
• A combat studio for martial arts
• A boxing gym with ring
• A 60m 6 lane indoor athletics track and jumps space
• An outdoor throwing area
• Two FIFA standard 3G (all weather) pitches – one which will be in the centre of the athletics track
• Cafe and meeting rooms"
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:55 pm

and we're off again.
No stadium move unless its next door to my house and I get carried in by Hansen carriage, has warmed seats and free beer.

Should Edinburgh be fortunate enough to somehow secure a new stadium, it will involve compromises and trade offs. It will be all purpose (at least multi purpose), probably have a running track and not be walking distance of Murrayfield. Folk need to get their heads round that.

And Gary is right, stuff can be worked around. The SRU debt is now very manageable, but there are other ways than just the SRU shelling out multi millions, and its those that need to be explored
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 pm

joe soap wrote:and we're off again.
No stadium move unless its next door to my house and I get carried in by Hansen carriage, has warmed seats and free beer.

Next to your house? No chance, there is nowhere to park my helicopter or tie my horse up, no thought given at all to me

This is an outrage, Cockers out!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:46 pm

I don't see anything in the release that indicates it will be a suitable facility for us. A 500 seat stand? That's like Meggetland. No mention of any additional spectating facilities, such as a terracing, or of a sports field never mind a rugby pitch. Sounds like it'll be a community sports centre with facilities for amateur athletics meetings, not a venue for professional sports. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just it doesn't sound like a suitable facility for ER.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I don't see anything in the release that indicates it will be a suitable facility for us. A 500 seat stand? That's like Meggetland. No mention of any additional spectating facilities, such as a terracing, or of a sports field never mind a rugby pitch. Sounds like it'll be a community sports centre with facilities for amateur athletics meetings, not a venue for professional sports. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just it doesn't sound like a suitable facility for ER.

As it stands what you describe sounds like Scotstoun with a smaller stand. The Weegies problems with Scotstoun stems from the SRU at the time refusing to engage as the anchor tenant, so rugby's needs were ignored. Now if SRU have declined to engage in Meadowbank redevelopment, then it sounds a bit like history repeating itself. And hardly surprising that it doesn't look as if it has much for rugby.
Short of that mythical euromillions rollover win, there is unlikely to be a better option come along any time in the next decade or so.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am

joe soap wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:I don't see anything in the release that indicates it will be a suitable facility for us. A 500 seat stand? That's like Meggetland. No mention of any additional spectating facilities, such as a terracing, or of a sports field never mind a rugby pitch. Sounds like it'll be a community sports centre with facilities for amateur athletics meetings, not a venue for professional sports. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just it doesn't sound like a suitable facility for ER.

As it stands what you describe sounds like Scotstoun with a smaller stand. The Weegies problems with Scotstoun stems from the SRU at the time refusing to engage as the anchor tenant, so rugby's needs were ignored. Now if SRU have declined to engage in Meadowbank redevelopment, then it sounds a bit like history repeating itself. And hardly surprising that it doesn't look as if it has much for rugby.
Short of that mythical euromillions rollover win, there is unlikely to be a better option come along any time in the next decade or so.

Scotstoun has over 3500 permanent seats in two stands. Don't talk pish.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:56 am

Myreside was over 2000 short of its 5500 capacity last week. Outside of the games against Glasgow, Edinburgh don't get near the numbers to fill Myreside. I reckon that should be the first priority.

Meadowbank isn't happening for ER.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:28 am

Wait until Edinburgh fans are actually willing to fill the capacity as it stands at Myreside currently and then increase with a temporary stand on the far side. After that work with the school to put in place a permanent structure on that side.

I had no issue with a Meadowbank redevelopment but it looks like they're not going down that route due to the commitment to the current partnership with Watsons.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:28 am

Wait until Edinburgh fans are actually willing to fill the capacity as it stands at Myreside currently and then increase with a temporary stand on the far side. After that work with the school to put in place a permanent structure on that side.

I had no issue with a Meadowbank redevelopment but it looks like they're not going down that route due to the commitment to the current partnership with Watsons.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am

biffer wrote:Scotstoun has over 3500 permanent seats in two stands. Don't talk pish.

and had the SRU engaged Meadowbank still couldn't have more seats? Permanent or temporary. Other than that, it sounds like what Scotstoun was and is - a community based muti purpose facility, including athletics. Its you talking pish.
Typical can't do, and very little can do on this forum.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I think this ship has sailed. Meadowbank while a decent option to be tenants in, it is never going to be ideal and therefore unlikely we would pour cash into it. Glasgow have ended up with a good option but it is currently restricting them, so not ideal.

Any new build is always likely to be multi sport/use as we simply cant afford to build a ground for the crowds we get. So renting makes sense at this point. if we start to sell out Myrseide regularly then we have a different problem, hopefully it wont be long until that happens.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm

The Hearts stand sounds about right for cost. The closest example of a recent and modern 10,000-seater stadium I can think of is Chelmsford FC, a new build that came out at £14.5m five years ago, so probably around £17m today the way building materials have soared in cost.

A good chunk of that goes on buying the land and putting in access roads, services, car parks etc. That's why I think the best bet in town remains the Murrayfield back pitches, because the SRU already owns the land, has the access roads, services and parking on site, as well as groundsmen and their kit, gyms etc. With M''field Wanderers moved out, there's 4 pitches sitting there not getting very much use at all.

How hard would it be to build one main 3,500-seater stand and put up three temporary ones a la Myreside to start with? Everything else is there already on the site. The idea that the SRU would have to cough up all the dosh is not the way to approach it, a sports union is well-placed to call in public funding, from both government (SportScotland) and Cooncil. There is also an option to raise private money via a share offering and naming rights and to follow the debenture route for supporters. Set up properly, the SRU could get out of it paying a third or a quarter and much of that in land value. So something in the order of £3-4m for the initial set-up, less the value of the land (which has risen a lot now it's no longer classed as a flood plain).

A mini-Murrayfield would be ideal for things like the club cup finals day, youth and school finals, Ladies and age-grade internationals etc, as well as Embra Rugby's home.

All the other options involve paying dead money in rent for a stadium that is not ideal, being too small or having a running track round it or not enough parking or too far out.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:I know it's just a news report and all that, but the thing that strikes me is what is not mentioned - Edinburgh Rugby. It's not clear that we are in the Council's thinking now .......

I was led to believe that Edinburgh Rugby declined any involvement with the Meadowbank redevelopment.

Just for the record, I posted that in 2015.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum