New Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh moves a step closer

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

New Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh moves a step closer

Postby doedin on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:34 am

Report on BBC website - increase in land values means that the development might be a goer. Opportunity for Edinburgh Rugby to get in early and revive previous plans for a shared facility? Funding gap is £6.8m which might be bridgable if additional revenue from rugby plus a lump sum from SRU is added in? Discuss!
doedin
World Cup Star

Re: New Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh moves a step closer

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:19 am

doedin wrote:Report on BBC website - increase in land values means that the development might be a goer. Opportunity for Edinburgh Rugby to get in early and revive previous plans for a shared facility? Funding gap is £6.8m which might be bridgable if additional revenue from rugby plus a lump sum from SRU is added in? Discuss!

Always said redeveloped meadowbank is the way forward. something around 8-10k
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:18 am

A new build at Meadowbank would seem the best of the available options. Hopefully, SRU/Club and fans can get some early input into the design process. Thus ensuring the best possible fit for rugby within a multipurpose stadium.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Article here. Even if remaining shortfall found then project would take at least a couple of years. At least it's still a possibility http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34341498
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 pm

The shortfall is on a 500 seat stadium. You'd have to add several million more on to make it 5000 capacity plus associated facilities for corporate hospitality etc. So you'd probably need to find £12 million to get us a stadium with running track around it. No thanks. Edinburgh Accies a better bet.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Biffer wrote:
The shortfall is on a 500 seat stadium. You'd have to add several million more on to make it 5000 capacity plus associated facilities for corporate hospitality etc. So you'd probably need to find £12 million to get us a stadium with running track around it. No thanks. Edinburgh Accies a better bet.

I agree, do we really want the SRU to spend £££millions to sit behind a running track?
GunnerRob
International

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

GunnerRob wrote:
Biffer wrote:

I agree, do we really want the SRU to spend £££millions to sit behind a running track?

Yep. We've just got ourselves to the position where we can wipe the debt out, why put ourselves into hock again?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Over £300k/seat? Do I get served champagne and caviar by a Swedish Virgin while I watch?

I'll do it for half that!

Forthbank type should be the plan, bit bigger though, they built that for about 50p
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:30 pm

GunnerRob wrote:
Biffer wrote:

That can be worked round
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:13 am

GaryIPA wrote:
GunnerRob wrote:
Biffer wrote:

That can be worked round

How do you work round £10-12 million?

And is it really sensible to spend that kind of money and still have to have a workaround?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:04 am

Oh forget it then
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I know it's just a news report and all that, but the thing that strikes me is what is not mentioned - Edinburgh Rugby. It's not clear that we are in the Council's thinking now and whatever the additional cost may be, we would be unwise to put in any funding at all if the end product were only a 500 seater permanent stand. You'd be as well going to a club ground.

The other thing to bear in mind is that this is the City of Edinburgh Council here. The projected shortfall may be slightly less large than they projected before, but the trams are coming home to roost now. They don't have any money.

I agree that a redeveloped Meadowbank might be a solution, if we had an influence on what it looked like from the outset. But that doesn't look likely.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:22 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Oh forget it then

Good
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 am

Not sure if the SRU are still (or ever were) considering Meadowbank, but plans for the new stadium are apparently now in existence:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/s ... -1-4559507

No actual details in the article, of course :roll:
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am

Likely to be too small for our needs, and given the issues Glasgow are having at Sctstoun then it is unlikely they SRU would want to stump up cash.

I have always said Ingliston is the obvious answer. They are about to spend a few million on a new Members pavilion which would be ideal for hospitality etc so it would really only need a couple of stands, one permanent the other a temp and we could get 5k without too much hassle, parking and transport are good and plenty of room to expand if and when we need to.

As a guide Falkirk put up a basic 2000 seat stand for around £1.5m, Hearts are putting up an all singing all dancing 7200 stand with suites etc for £12m.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum