John Hardie

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

John Hardie

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:17 pm

As far as I'm aware Hardie is still unattached. Before he is snatched up by a competitor Edinburgh should move any and all the mountains necessary to bring him to Murrayfield.
He would be a great asset to the team, he looks the real deal for Scotland and the one worry would be fitness. That said we can cover 7 with Watson and Grant so we wouldn't expect him to be playing every week.

I'd be very disappointed if he ends up at Glasgow or with another Pro 12 side.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: John Hardie

Postby Rico on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Would be delighted to see him at Edinburgh.

The issue might be whether we can keep three quality 7s happy and ensure they all get enough game time (although that might be less of a problem if Roddy if leaving at the end of the season as seems to be likely).
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Don't think he'll be going to Glasgow, notwithstanding that they already have a squad of about 78 players they already have Fusaro, Favaro, Holmes and Blake in addition to the likes of Bordill coming through.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:43 pm

I'd have him a heart beat - but can't see it happening. If he's got any sense though he'd be better off in France.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I don't think it makes very much sense for him to be given a playing berth in Scotland. He's already tied to the national team and he's been developed into a fully mature professional player by the kind folks of New Zealand. May as well have a club in France paying his salary as I think both Edinburgh and Glasgow are well-fixed in the backrow departments.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Hardie is approaching world class, but where would he fit in @ Edinburgh / Glasgow?

Edinburgh have DuPreez, Manu, Watson, Denton, Grant, Coman as 1st choice & several promising younger players

Glasgow have Strauss, Ashe, Fusaro, Harley, Wilson, as 1st choice & several squad fellows/younger guys.

The obvious answer is a 3rd pro team
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Can never have too much quality - show some ambition, Edinburgh. Signing Hardie would really be a sign of intent.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby gowrie on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:24 pm

He's a good player no doubt, but we don't have endless bags of cash and a player of his quality won't come cheap. We're already very well stocked in the backrow and need to sign for the two most expensive positions on the pitch, flyhalf and tighthead where we're short on depth.

Besides, it certainly won't hurt the national team if he goes elsewhere and means one more SQ player getting regular top level gametime.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:00 pm

I can understand the reasoning that we need other players in other positions, but I can't believe that a tighthead and a fly half plus Hardie would break the SRU. Are there any tightheads or fly halfs on the market btw? They would need to be as good as Nel & Russell

Would we like to be facing Hardie later in the season?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Party Line on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Did I imagine that Roddy was away and that he only signed up for another year persuaded by Solomons. Maybe he knew Hardie was on the way? :?
The Party Line
International

Postby biffer on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 am

The Party Line wrote:Did I imagine that Roddy was away and that he only signed up for another year persuaded by Solomons. Maybe he knew Hardie was on the way? :?

I wondered that as well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 am

Number of post made very few of which have taken into consideration what Hardie might want him self.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:49 am

GaryIPA wrote:Number of post made very few of which have taken into consideration what Hardie might want him self.

The only thing I recall him saying in the media is that he came north looking for a contract, so why not Edinburgh?

There is strong case for him to come to Edinburgh, from his point of view he will be joining a club where he knows some players well already, the club is ambitious and his signing will reinforce this, he will be getting first team rugby but not guaranteed it. Edinburgh is hardly the worst place to live.
From Edinburgh's point of view it shows intent and like tends to attract like, other players could be swayed to come here for similar money they could get elsewhere if they think they are going to be joining a club which is enthusiastically progressing its way up the league. There is still room to bring on Ritchie and Bradbury if Hardie joins as Bradbury isn't a 7 and I hear that, long-term, Ritchie is being seen as a 6. Grant's contract is only till the end of the season.

I know we have pressing concerns in other positions, but unless it really would blow Edinburgh's budget it would be daft and shortsighted to pass on Hardie if we are in with a shout.

On the other hand if he can get a big fat contract in France, good luck to him, but it's a very attritional league and he has spent a fair amount of time on the physio's table..
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Don't disagree. Think he could fit with us, if he does the obvious loser is Roddy Grant.

At 6/8 we are well served with Denton, Manu, Du Preez and Coman with Ritchie and Bradbury to come through.

At 7 we would have Hardie, Watson and Grant and without Rob Moffat in charge would struggle to include 2, let alone 3, in a matchday squad. You can rotate 2 but not 3 so one has to go. Tough on Roddy but I'm sure he could pick up a decent gig elsewhere.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 pm

[quote="Tichtheid if he can get a big fat contract in France, good luck to him, but it's a very attritional league and he has spent a fair amount of time on the physio's table..[/quote]

I think this is the most likely reason we would sign him, the SRU may want to protect him so he is available for international.

He may get a contract in France but it would only be huge If he "retired". If it is money he is after then Japan is probably his best bet.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum