John Hardie

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: John Hardie

Postby Frenchy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:11 am

gowrie wrote:Completely unrelated, and I know the backrow is very congest for us but this try (https://youtu.be/lSROYaroPKA?t=180) from Irvine-Hess is an absolute belter. He's a player that impressed me a lot for the U20s, it'd be a big shame if he didn't get a contract with a pro side

Christ he can shift. First time I watched it, I was wondering when Irvine-Hess was going to appear and finish off the winger's hard work.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 am

gowrie wrote:I did think so, and I eventually found this http://www.scrummagazine.com/2015/09/29 ... to-friday/

Solomons mentions Carmichael by name as a player coming through at Edinburgh.

Completely unrelated, and I know the backrow is very congest for us but this try (https://youtu.be/lSROYaroPKA?t=180) from Irvine-Hess is an absolute belter. He's a player that impressed me a lot for the U20s, it'd be a big shame if he didn't get a contract with a pro side

He was an EDP with Edinburgh and was dropped. I thought it was a wee bit harsh as he came into Edinburgh as a very lightweight player, and then just as he was starting to get some bulk got concussion the week he was named in a matchday squad for the first time by Solomons.

He went away to Melrose and filled out and has been excellent for the U20s. To me he is a really good example of how some players coming out of schools rugby just are not physically ready for pro rugby and need time to mature, but it seems like players like that get shelled out of the system and that's it.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Hardie signs on two year contract - ya beauty

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/15/1 ... r-contract
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hardie signs on two year contract - ya beauty

Great news - a fantastic addition to an already impressive pack. Welcome to Edinburgh John - can't wait to see you in action !
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hardie signs on two year contract - ya beauty

Great news. Formidable pack now, arguably six world class operators... Bring it on!
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Brilliant. Our pack looks like the best in the Pro12 now.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Excellent signing, pleased about that.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Get in. Get right LawrenceBryce in.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:36 pm

biffer wrote:Brilliant. Our pack looks like the best in the Pro12 now.

Certainly does.

Just needs our back division to start taking advantage of the times when we are dominant. I actually think SHC could come on really well this season, playing behind that platform.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Gilchrist, Toolis, Denton, Hardie, Manu (with the likes of Sutherland, McInally, Bresler and Du Preez in reserve) – sweet lord that’s a good pack !
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Rico wrote:Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Gilchrist, Toolis, Denton, Hardie, Manu (with the likes of Sutherland, McInally, Bresler and Du Preez in reserve) – sweet lord that’s a good pack !

will be interesting to see what that does in the CC
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Hardie is a really good player and obviously you can't have too many good players in your squad, however just to play devil's advocate...

Given our limited financial resources, our glaring weaknesses elsewhere (backline) and the fact that Hardie can't have come cheap, can we justify spending that much money on our second choice openside?

I'm suggesting that Watson may actually be a better player, if not now then possibly very soon!

On a positive note we've now got a stunning collection of loose forwards, certainly the best in the pro12 and you could probably make a case for being up there with the very best in Europe.

Imagine how good a group they'd be if they moved McInally back to blindside where he belongs! :wink:
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 pm

gowrie wrote:
zt1903 wrote:Carmichael's on an academy contract. Not quite the same thing but stage 3 academy contracts are close to the old EDPs.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/15/06 ... -milestone

I'm still a bit confused about where the new academy system leaves the players in the Borders/Caledonia system. What's their connection/route to the Pro teams?

Borders aligned with Edinburgh, Caledonia aligned with Glasgow.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 pm

....plus we've got Duncan Hodge coming in, so hopefully we'll get some moves going across the backs.

If there is a deity of injuries, I hope they are kind to us. I'll sacrifice my next pint to get Scott, Gilchrist and McInally fit for the rest of the season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:58 pm

Rico wrote:Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Gilchrist, Toolis, Denton, Hardie, Manu (with the likes of Sutherland, McInally, Bresler and Du Preez in reserve) – sweet lord that’s a good pack !

Really does look tasty!

I'd swap in Bresler for Toolis, not because I think Bresler's necessarily better but I think he offers a better blend with Gilchrist. What a luxury to be able to nit pick over players like that though! :)
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum