John Hardie

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: John Hardie

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:05 pm

The Nudger wrote:
Given our limited financial resources, our glaring weaknesses elsewhere (backline) and the fact that Hardie can't have come cheap, can we justify spending that much money on our second choice openside?

I suspect that a full-time contract helped to entice the guy north to play international rugby so this is really an SRU expense rather than us splurging the club's limited budget.

I do agree that we could do with some more firepower in the backs but gift-horses, mouths, etc.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:06 pm

The Nudger wrote:
Given our limited financial resources, our glaring weaknesses elsewhere (backline) and the fact that Hardie can't have come cheap, can we justify spending that much money on our second choice openside?

Come next summer, Grant is probably gone, we'd all be crying out for depth at 7.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Great news, pack sorted we can start picking up the Highlanders back line
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:13 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Great news, pack sorted we can start picking up the Highlanders back line

:lol: :lol:

Like your style!

Either of the Smiths, Naholo and Fekitoa. Oh, and Sopoaga. Too much to ask?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Tonks
Helu
Dean
Scott
Hoyland

Burleigh
SHC

Dickinson
Ford
Nel
Gilchrist
Bresler
Denton
Hardie
Manu

McInally
Sutherland
Andress
Toolis
Watson
Fowles
Beard
Fife

Unbelievably no room for Du Preez....

That's an awesome first choice squad, and I'd argue that the first pick back line looks pretty capable, based on early impressions of Helu...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Much as I have moaned about Solomon's approach, I can't wait to see that bunch of forwards unleashed. I suspect a few teams are going to get a bit of a shock when that lot hits them.

The backline is decent as well, so basically all Edinburgh need is a 10 (with SHC at 9) to bring the two together as Burleigh looks like he has regressed since his first promising outings.

Actually quite ridiculously pleased about this.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:13 pm

I would have DuPreez ahead of Denton, he may not carry quite as hard but i think he offers more in almost every other aspect.

Assuming we dont have too many injuries, hopefully we can actually start to rotate quality players and maintain a challenge in Europe and the league throughout the season...i would neve have thought we would be in this postion during the dark days of a few seasons ago.

As an aside if you were a Glasgow fan would you feel a bit aggrevied that we got Hardie after offloading Blake to them.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Hardie is a terrific signing and we now have one of the best forward lines in the 'Pro 12' - quality and depth of squad. At the risk of being greedy, need a quality '10' to ensure we are real contenders this season.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby Martin Bell on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:10 pm

The rotation point is a good one. We are building a squad that can fight on two fronts and cope with international calls. This will allow us to keep everyone fresh and bring young talent in in a structured way.

I do agree that 10 remains the obvious gap at present, but presumably we are looking at signings for next season now so I'm sure this is in hand.

It's an excellent signing and it says ambition to me. Very pleased.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
As an aside if you were a Glasgow fan would you feel a bit aggrevied that we got Hardie after offloading Blake to them.

I dunno, they already got Favaro for this season who is an international openside and probably adds some aggression that they need.

Blake could work out well for them in time.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:20 pm

New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Regarding rotation... have we not got a game every week from now until the start of the 6 Nations? I doubt that we'll see the same 15 players turn out in any two consecutive weeks during that period.

Solly has already been rotating a few positions even during the World Cup.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Regarding rotation... have we not got a game every week from now until the start of the 6 Nations? I doubt that we'll see the same 15 players turn out in any two consecutive weeks during that period.

Solly has already been rotating a few positions even during the World Cup.

Yes, no rest weeks before February from now on.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:41 pm

What a delightful interview with John Hardie from that link-lovely to see a smile on his face 36 hours after the crushing disappointment of Sunday!
Up to all of us now to show him that the supporters really are as passionate as he's been told.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I would have DuPreez ahead of Denton, he may not carry quite as hard but i think he offers more in almost every other aspect.

Assuming we dont have too many injuries, hopefully we can actually start to rotate quality players and maintain a challenge in Europe and the league throughout the season...i would neve have thought we would be in this postion during the dark days of a few seasons ago.

I don't really think that's the choice we have to make. Denton and Manu will be rotating at 8, whilst Du Preez will be rotating with Coman at 6. Of course, Denton can cover 6 and Du Preez 8 but i don't think that'll happen much without injuries.
zt1903
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum