Players Out of Contract

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Players Out of Contract

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Denton didn't play vs Munster and has now joined Bath,

We need a 10 have a few quid and Carter is "resting" rather than playing for Racing this weekend coincidence??........I think not!

Clearly all part of the master plan and I for one am happy about it. Welcome aboard Daniel!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:45 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Denton didn't play vs Munster and has now joined Bath,

We need a 10 have a few quid and Carter is "resting" rather than playing for Racing this weekend coincidence??........I think not!

Clearly all part of the master plan and I for one am happy about it. Welcome aboard Daniel!

.... and surely there will still be enough left in petty cash for Adam Ashley-Cooper to 13. Job done!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am

Wottie wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Denton didn't play vs Munster and has now joined Bath,

.... and surely there will still be enough left in petty cash for Adam Ashley-Cooper to 13. Job done!

I would love that, but unfortunately he's off to Bordeaux. :(
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:09 am

He went there because he thought Kriel would be too much competition for the jersey.....
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:46 am

Quite a bit in the press this weekend about the number of players out of contract.

According to the below at least Dickinson wants to stay, appears Nel is the big worry I suspect any team would love a tighthead of his quality so may have a real battle to hold on to him.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14110699.display/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 am

Anyone got a list of who is out of contract?

We have cleared out most of the dross but there are still a few I would not miss. Unfortunately I have a feeling they will not be the problem.

With the absence of an up and coming replacement Nel is the key. We can afford to lose the likes of Ford or Dickinson much more as we have got replacements who are not far behind. I think that Gilchrist being injured may allow us t keep hold of him. Du Preez, SHC & Scott will be the targets for other clubs I would think. Not sure what their contract status's are.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GuitarHero on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Anyone got a list of who is out of contract?

We have cleared out most of the dross but there are still a few I would not miss. Unfortunately I have a feeling they will not be the problem.

With the absence of an up and coming replacement Nel is the key. We can afford to lose the likes of Ford or Dickinson much more as we have got replacements who are not far behind. I think that Gilchrist being injured may allow us t keep hold of him. Du Preez, SHC & Scott will be the targets for other clubs I would think. Not sure what their contract status's are.

Andress, Beard, Berghan, Brown, Burleigh, Cochrane, Coman, Cuthber, Dean, Dell, Dickinson, Fife, Ford, Fowles, Gilchrist, Grant, SHC, Hoyland, Katoa, Kennedy, McInally, McKenie, McLennan, Nel, Ritchie, Scott, Shiels, Strauss, Sutherland, Toolis (x2) and Turner. Plus Solly himself. Just a couple ;)
GuitarHero
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:37 pm

There is a few on that list that we would be happy to leave but the majority I would want to stay.

I guess we can assume DuPreez maybe signed for 2 years at the start of this year i also thought B. Toolis signed for 2 years last season and A Toolis just 1 but could be wrong.

Where did the list come from?

Also I wonder if signing Hardie means we cant afford to keep one of our "star" players (Nel, Scott, Gilchrist etc) or does Dentons departure offset that?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Anyone got a list of who is out of contract?

Andress, Beard, Berghan, Brown, Burleigh, Cochrane, Coman, Cuthber, Dean, Dell, Dickinson, Fife, Ford, Fowles, Gilchrist, Grant, SHC, Hoyland, Katoa, Kennedy, McInally, McKenie, McLennan, Nel, Ritchie, Scott, Shiels, Strauss, Sutherland, Toolis (x2) and Turner. Plus Solly himself. Just a couple ;)

Challenging times ahead for the contracts folks at Murrayfield, we probably want to keep the majority of those players. Some negotiations should be relatively straightforward, but many on the my first list below will require a fight for us to keep them.

Definitely Keep: players that would be in our first choice 23 next season or have significant potential

Burleigh, Dean, Dickinson, Ford, Gilchrist, SHC, Hoyland, McInally, Nel, Ritchie, Scott, Sutherland, B Toolis

Probably Keep: Players with yet to be proven potential or providing much needed squad depth.

Beard, Berghan, Brown, Coman, Cuthbert, Dell, Fife, Kennedy, McKenzie, A Toolis, Turner

It depends: Future may depend on other players signing or not

Katoa, Shiells

Probably Bin: should be able to sign better or develop from within

Cochrane, Fowles, McLennan

Definitely Bin: not good enough for our aspirations.

Andress, Strauss,

Going:

Grant

I believe we already know that Roddy's going, would have him on the probably keep list otherwise
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:44 pm

It certainly is a large number, but I assume that a key focus for the management is indeed on tying up those who we want to stay, which I'd think is the large majority. Top priority for me is the entire starting front row. I suspect that the key signing will be next year's Head Coach. If Solly is indeed not intending to continue for another season, we need to identify the new guy as quickly as possible and work with them on the likely 2016/17 squad. What's Stuart Lancaster doing these days ...?

I really hope we can avoid significant player turnover now that we seem to be making a bit of progress in rebuilding our squad. I've had enough of starting from scratch for the foreseeable future.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:48 pm

I think Nel will be snapped up by a richer side. He's one of the best in the business so doubt the SRU will be able to afford to keep him on. Could potentially see Ford going to France to because I don't think he's ever played for anyone else and it's the twilight of his career.

Can see Brown, Burleigh, Dean, Dell, Dickinson, Fife, Gilchrist, SHC, Hoyland, Kennedy, McInally, Ritchie, Scott, Sutherland, Toolis x 2 and Turner all staying.

Everyone else ... meh.

Anyone know the story behind Cornell Du Preez? Was he not meant to have gone by now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Agree with a previous poster in that I would like most to stay - except our coach.
I think the SRU will try very hard to keep our front row intact as they're the only organisation who will look after them for our international side. The problem might be Nel but I think he'll stay.
CDP was quoted last week as saying his main reason for coming here was to qualify to play international rugby and I think he only qualifies for Scotland after the end of this season.

The one thing for certain is the SRU is desperately needing to find an increase in their budget for the future.

Unfortunately, watching our match on TV from overseas on Friday, I saw a crowd that will not sustain Edinburgh Rugby even at its current level.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 am

If we are going to push the boat out for any position then it has to be the tight head position, if not for Edinburgh then to secure the Scottish TH position and make sure that Nel is looked after properly. He would be ruined in France through over exposure. After that Scott is a key player in an equally key position. Thereafter I am not sure that too many players will be getting offers from elsewhere!

The main issue is going to be how we do over the middle part of the season. If it looks like we are making progress and are favourites to secure a Top 6 position then we stand a good chance of keeping most of our better players, if not then I can see quite a few exiting to further their careers. Three season in the bottom half of the league and playing in the Diddy Cup will not look good on many CVs and those more ambitious and with a good current market value will be off, and I won’t blame them to be honest!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Visiteur on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:05 pm

I wonder if a move for Nel to France could affect possibility of Lions call up.

a. if he's interested &

b. keeps this level and better up?

If he wants this perhaps staying where he is might be best for him?
Visiteur
Established pro

Postby zt1903 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:22 pm

It's a short career and players if can earn an extra £100-150k per year by moving they'd be mad not to.
zt1903
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum