Matt Scott

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Matt Scott

Postby macdone on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:22 am

Do we get enough value out of him? Should we even consider letting him go? He must be on a big salary and you have to question if his game is developing in the right way.

When he first came on the scene he was great at timing runs and running into space. But instead of focusing on pace and skill he seems to have bulked up and turned into a basher. His kicking and distribution really haven't developed - particularly passing off his left hand. He is also making far too many handling errors. He used to be neck and neck with dunbar for the scotland shirt. Now he is behind dunbar, horne, bennett and duncan taylor at the very least.

Obviously i want to be proved wrong. But as things stand i would be tempted to free up his salary and bring in duncan taylor and huw jones (very talented 21 year old anglo scot at uni in cape town playing super 15 rugby for the stormers) http://www.rugby365.com/article/65908-who-is-huw-jones

Im a fan of matt scott but it's frustrating seeing him going the way he is.
macdone
World Cup Star

Re: Matt Scott

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:03 am

Not gonna lie, I think your post is ridiculous. Scott is coming off a serious injury, and has currently only played outside a malfunctioning halfback pairing in a team that has struggled to attack in the backs with or without him. The last time he got a proper run of games for us was at the end of the 13/14 season, where he was tearing apart defences for fun, including the Bennett/Dunbar pairing at Glasgow. Every player's form dips, but ditching them for either an outside centre at a richer club who we probably can't afford, or a youngster outside centre is just dumb.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am

I have to admit I imagined howls of indignation after your second sentence.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 am

Sorry but I also have to disagree with the original post.

He may not be quite back to his best yet but he is still probably one of the few world class players we have so getting shot of him would be madness. Even in our last few games where the execution of the backs has been pretty woeful, you can see that he has spark and quality about him. From the lengthy list of player we have out to be out of contract, Scott, Nel, Dickinson and SHC are those we should be pulling out all the stops to keep at Edinburgh.

I also disagree with the comments about where he is in the Scotland pecking order. Dunbar and Bennett are undoubtedly class and probably are the first choice centre pairing for Scotland but Scott absolutely doesn’t look out of place in dark blue and for me, is ahead of both Horne and Taylor.

Whether Scott wants to stay at Edinburgh is another matter though and if a big English club were to make him an attractive offer, I wouldn’t begrudge him taking it and would wish him nothing but the best. I really don’t think we should be helping him to find the door though.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:21 am

gowrie wrote:Not gonna lie, I think your post is ridiculous. Scott is coming off a serious injury, and has currently only played outside a malfunctioning halfback pairing in a team that has struggled to attack in the backs with or without him. The last time he got a proper run of games for us was at the end of the 13/14 season, where he was tearing apart defences for fun, including the Bennett/Dunbar pairing at Glasgow. Every player's form dips, but ditching them for either an outside centre at a richer club who we probably can't afford, or a youngster outside centre is just dumb.

This.

I also have no doubt that Scott's Edinburgh form is impacted by the stand-off issue.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:45 pm

gowrie wrote:Not gonna lie, I think your post is ridiculous. Scott is coming off a serious injury, and has currently only played outside a malfunctioning halfback pairing in a team that has struggled to attack in the backs with or without him. The last time he got a proper run of games for us was at the end of the 13/14 season, where he was tearing apart defences for fun, including the Bennett/Dunbar pairing at Glasgow. Every player's form dips, but ditching them for either an outside centre at a richer club who we probably can't afford, or a youngster outside centre is just dumb.

You are right to say he hasnt had a run of games since 13/14 and that's partly my point. Just like glasgow felt they werent getting enough from maitland who was a top earner , there is nothing wrong with asking the same question.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:18 pm

macdone wrote:

You are right to say he hasnt had a run of games since 13/14 and that's partly my point. Just like glasgow felt they werent getting enough from maitland who was a top earner , there is nothing wrong with asking the same question.

But did Glasgow really think that? I think they'd have liked to have kept him, but he wanted to play 15 and LI probably offered him more than he was getting with Glasgow.

Should we ditch Gilchrist and McInally too because they've struggled with injury the last couple of years?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Afaik Scott has never played against a Dunbar/Bennett midfield.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:12 pm

My mistake, it was Russell/Bennett, which is somewhat less impressive. But the point about form and class and all that still stands.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I am a bit concerned about his form to be honest. He had a reasonable outing against Munster and showed glimpses of pre injury Scott but was poor against Grenoble (although conditions play a part). Injuries may have done a number on him I fear.

I think there's something in that he struggles with Tonks/Burleigh at 10 taking the ball deep and stationary so it's far too easy for the defence to stop whatever he tries. A running 10 will certainly help I would hope. Questions have to asked of coaching also. Seems to be used as a battering ram 12 for Edinburgh and Scotland a bit too much. It's a waste using him as a crash ball merchant because Scott's distribution and little breaks used to make him such a threat.

One thing that makes me think his problems may not just come from Edinburgh's back line struggles is his Scotland form is poor. Had an underwhelming World Cup and a dreadful 6 Nations (although he was rushed back after injury I think).

I hope he gets back to where he was and improves as Hodge sorts out the back line. I hope to see a SHC, Kinghorn, Scott and Dean form an attacking midfield for us going forward. Certainly wouldn't let him leave though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Scott is a class act and possibly the only top class international back we have in the squad.

I wouldn’t judge any of our outside backs who have to suffer a gameplan that involves them spending most of their time either chasing a kick that is too long or being told to crash the ball up and set it up for the forwards. Playing outside a set of half backs that don’t know what they are doing and are under instructions to kick most of the AlainRolland ball away doesn’t help, nor does playing outside a variety of 10s who are not really 10s and in Tonks case sits about 15m behind the gain line!

Should we keep Scott - yes! If you want to free up cash then get rid of Strauss, McLennan and Cuthbert. Will Scott want to stay and play for us? Different matter and if I was him given the shambles of our back play and if he has any ambition in furthering his career then like Laidlaw and Visser I would be off like a shot! If he has to play at 13 outside Strauss at 12 again I would be seriously questioning his ambition if he stayed!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Spud on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi all, long time reader/first time poster..
Absolutely think Scott should be encouraged to stay. As others have said I think he is our classiest back.
The half back pairing of SHC & Tonks should be given more time, Tonks had good games at 10 last season and SHC has played very little competitive rugby since being back-up to Scotlands captain at the RWC. The conditions have been rubbish for fast ball through the backs the last 2 games so I dont think we can judge just yet.
I like to think once those two click, Scott will become more involved and noticeable for the right reasons.
The phrase 'journeyman' has been used a lot the last 18 months and many of them have been snuffed out so I don't see the point in bringing more in now.
Spud
Embra Debut

Postby djphilp on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Scott has been messed around by injuries and being played out of position at 13 so it is no wonder his development has been somewhat thwarted. The idea of getting rid of him is ridiculous but...

doedin wrote:If he has to play at 13 outside Strauss at 12 again I would be seriously questioning his ambition if he stayed!

This :above:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:41 am

He's played what, two games for us since coming back from injury?

Some people need to get a grip.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:04 am

macdone wrote:Just like glasgow felt they werent getting enough from maitland who was a top earner , there is nothing wrong with asking the same question.

There is indeed nothing wrong with asking questions about the value for money we get from certain players, it was maybe just an odd/unfortunate choice to direct those questions at our best back as opposed to, say, those that Doedin mentions !

Changing tack slightly, I don’t disagree with what you said in your original post about keeping an eye on Huw Jones though. A young SQ fullback with huge potential is definitely something that should be of interest to Edinburgh Rugby.
Rico
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum