Matt Scott

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Matt Scott

Postby Sonicboom on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I’ll be delighted if it’s true. Where did you see this though?
Sonicboom
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Matt Scott

Postby djphilp on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm

https://twitter.com/thistlerugbypod/sta ... 8958551040

No confirmation yet, but let’s live in hope :D
Image
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
User avatar
djphilp
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 5147
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Fife

Re: Matt Scott

Postby New Gunner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 pm

It sounds promising - 'has signed' rather than the usual rumour - makes sense for his international ambitions, and our need for a replacement (presumably) for poor Robbie Freuan. His try scoring record for Gloucester has been excellent, a backline of Kinghorn, Van der Merwe, Bennett, Scott, Graham, Hickey, SHC could be real box office if given time to gel...
New Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby gowrie on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:48 pm

It's really starting to look like Cockerill has a thing for injury prone centres...

But if true this would be brilliant, get Scott back partnering Bennett, Hickey/Kinghorn/Hoyland around them and that's some real attacking quality.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Matt Scott

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Like the sound of this. Scott was very good player with us,who I suspect will be even better for a couple of years in the English league.
User avatar
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2527
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Midlothian

Re: Matt Scott

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am

if he comes I hope is the player he was before he left, and has left his injuries behind him. And hopefully Jim Hamilton is repeating a good source cos his own transfer tips have been embarrassingly poor.

Can we cut the ridiculous hype about Hickey - not good enough to be retained in NZ, not good enough to be retained by Bordaux, hasn't played a game for us and already he's the next messiah in the most exciting back line ever ever. Give me, and him, a break.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Hickey is an exciting player in he likes an open game rather than the kick the leather off it.

Also being released by Bordeaux isn't that bad as they have Jalibert coming through who's ridiculous. And many 10s NZ have decided aren't great that turned out well, especially leaving at 21 it's a bit young to judge some players.

And if he's no good we have Van der Walt who is decent too.

Wonder what will happen with Dean, Burleigh and Rasolea. Presumably we'll keep 2 of the 3 with Scott, Bennett and JJ signed up.

Still would like to see us being Rory Hutchinson north. Doesn't get gametime at saints but was a handy player at under20s.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hickey is an exciting player in he likes an open game rather than the kick the leather off it.

Also being released by Bordeaux isn't that bad as they have Jalibert coming through who's ridiculous. And many 10s NZ have decided aren't great that turned out well, especially leaving at 21 it's a bit young to judge some players.


see that's better, potentially a good player. Some context though. Jailbert may be coming through but if Hickey was the next messiah, Bordeaux aren't exactly short of cash if they wanted to keep a top nFQ fly half who would get loads of game time They didn't and he takes frankly a step down to Edinburgh. He will be nearer 25 than 21 when he gets here and hasn't really nailed it yet.

So optimism fine, but lets wait and see how he goes before we have him in the most exciting backline ever, instead of the usual juvenile over hyping
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby New Gunner on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm

joe soap wrote:if he comes I hope is the player he was before he left, and has left his injuries behind him. And hopefully Jim Hamilton is repeating a good source cos his own transfer tips have been embarrassingly poor.

Can we cut the ridiculous hype about Hickey - not good enough to be retained in NZ, not good enough to be retained by Bordaux, hasn't played a game for us and already he's the next messiah in the most exciting back line ever ever. Give me, and him, a break.


I had a look for the 'ridiculous hype', 'next messiah' and 'juvenile' comments, but couldn't find them.
New Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:10 pm

New Gunner wrote:
joe soap wrote:if he comes I hope is the player he was before he left, and has left his injuries behind him. And hopefully Jim Hamilton is repeating a good source cos his own transfer tips have been embarrassingly poor.

Can we cut the ridiculous hype about Hickey - not good enough to be retained in NZ, not good enough to be retained by Bordaux, hasn't played a game for us and already he's the next messiah in the most exciting back line ever ever. Give me, and him, a break.


I had a look for the 'ridiculous hype', 'next messiah' and 'juvenile' comments, but couldn't find them.


Yeah, it's weird that when you say you#re looking forward to someone joining the team to see what he can do and you're hopeful that he'll bring something exttra, all of a sudden some people read that as 'he's next dan carter, better than jeebus'.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3825
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Jimmy Gopperth was let go from two New Zealand sides, neither Newcastle or Leinster kept him on, it was with Wasps that he really hit his stride
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Matt Scott

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:19 pm

New Gunner wrote:I had a look for the 'ridiculous hype', 'next messiah' and 'juvenile' comments, but couldn't find them.


Gowrie:
"a backline of Kinghorn, Van der Merwe, Bennett, Scott, Graham, Hickey, SHC could be real box office"

oh and this one, recognise it?
"But if true this would be brilliant, get Scott back partnering Bennett, Hickey/Kinghorn/Hoyland around them and that's some real attacking quality."

an uncapped player who has not really established himself anywhere,who is approaching his mid 20s and hasn't pulled shirt on for Edinurgh parachuted in to the exciting box office back line; no qualification like "if he fulfills potential" or "Hickey or Van der Walt"

No, no hype there, no juvenile expectations, no sir. You guys crease me up at times
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Jimmy Gopperth was let go from two New Zealand sides, neither Newcastle or Leinster kept him on, it was with Wasps that he really hit his stride


And I hope Hickey kicks on here, he may well. Not the point

Gopperth BTW had 4 years at Falcons, most of it as unchallenged first pick for Falcons -and was twice the AP top scorer. Not a bad record. Then 50-60 appearances in 2 years for Leinster where he was signed to replace Sexton and let go only when Sexton returned. A track record way beyond anything Hickey has achieved. and yes kicked on big time for Wasps - he was 32 by the time he joined them. If Hickey gets close I'll be delighted
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm

For the past 2 seasons we have been watching Jason Tovey who is now 28, was let go by first Cardiff then the Dragons and has a handful of Wales U 20 caps, he was a step up from what we had for god knows how long before that.

Given that I think we are right to be excited by a player with a pedigree like Hickey.

I think most of the comments were about the backline as a whole, not singling out HIckey, however he is a step up from Tovey and Weir so with the players around him of quality then it is fair to say it is a good backline.

By the logic of players being "let go" without a cap then Nel, Bresler and CDP aren't worth getting axcited about either.

Supporting Edinburgh has very few bright moments, I have no issue with people who at least want to look on the bright side. I don't think any of it has been juvenile or over hyped.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Matt Scott

Postby disco on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 pm

joe soap wrote:
New Gunner wrote:I had a look for the 'ridiculous hype', 'next messiah' and 'juvenile' comments, but couldn't find them.


Gowrie:
"a backline of Kinghorn, Van der Merwe, Bennett, Scott, Graham, Hickey, SHC could be real box office"

oh and this one, recognise it?
"But if true this would be brilliant, get Scott back partnering Bennett, Hickey/Kinghorn/Hoyland around them and that's some real attacking quality."

an uncapped player who has not really established himself anywhere,who is approaching his mid 20s and hasn't pulled shirt on for Edinurgh parachuted in to the exciting box office back line; no qualification like "if he fulfills potential" or "Hickey or Van der Walt"

No, no hype there, no juvenile expectations, no sir. You guys crease me up at times

Is suggesting comments like "real box office" and "real attacking quality" are equivalent to posters saying it'll be "the most exciting backline ever" not an example of the usual juvenile over hyping?? :D
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests