Mike Coman

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mike Coman

Postby gowrie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Part of the reason why there's a market is because contracts in football are so much longer than rugby. Is it because clubs anticipate players being bought out (which no-one's really had the money to do until recently in rugby), or there's more fear in rugby of career ending injuries and clubs don't want to risk a long term contract for an unavailable player?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

gowrie wrote:Part of the reason why there's a market is because contracts in football are so much longer than rugby. Is it because clubs anticipate players being bought out (which no-one's really had the money to do until recently in rugby), or there's more fear in rugby of career ending injuries and clubs don't want to risk a long term contract for an unavailable player?

I'll go with answer B, with a side order of clubs not having financial security.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:55 pm

gowrie wrote:Part of the reason why there's a market is because contracts in football are so much longer than rugby. Is it because clubs anticipate players being bought out (which no-one's really had the money to do until recently in rugby), or there's more fear in rugby of career ending injuries and clubs don't want to risk a long term contract for an unavailable player?

I think it's the latter that would be the driver of the two you highlight, but the reason football contracts are longer is a function of the astranomical transfer fees being paid these days. You can't ammortise the initial outlay over a one or two year contract (post Bosman), so it's just agin back to the different money in the two sports.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 pm

I think it's something to do with Coman and his wife wanting to live in London for a bit not necessarily money.

With Du Preez and Hardie presumably playing a lot of International rugby next year we do need another Comanesk back row player in. Ritchie and Bradbury will become regulars and Miller getting more involved too hopefully.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:56 pm

biffer wrote:
take five wrote:The lose of Conan is regrettable and part of a bigger, more worrying, problem. Scottish pro rugby is losing too many good players to the "big money" English/French game. We are in danger of becoming a development league for big English and French clubs.

The continued loss of players like Coman, Denton, etc means ER can never progress as Pro club.

It's always going to be the case so we need to find a way to live with it. Unless you're aware of an untapped £10-15 million per year we can access.

I don't have a problem with players moving on - it's necessary to a degree otherwise we'll never be able to give younger players opportunities. SHC would have played very little competitive rugby if Laidlaw hadn't moved to Gloucester, and Kennedy might not recognise a rugby ball by now. If Barclay, Brown and Beattie hadn't moved on, players like Ashe Wilson and Fusaro would have had very limited game time. With just two pro teams, we can't have a situation where the team remains unchanged for 5-6 years at a time.

Wouldn't disagree with too much of this. Pro sport is always about the money. However, it's a question of the degree to which this is happening.

In my opinion it's a growing trend, which taken to it's ultimate conclusion, will see the Scottish pro game stripped of talent and leave ER as little more than a development side and/or rest home for aging talent. There needs to be consideration given to how to respond to this trend. We need financial compensation for player development at the very least.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby hp18 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think it's something to do with Coman and his wife wanting to live in London for a bit not necessarily money.

With Du Preez and Hardie presumably playing a lot of International rugby next year we do need another Comanesk back row player in. Ritchie and Bradbury will become regulars and Miller getting more involved too hopefully.

Also helps that he'll be working with his old club coach, think he was captain there as well no?
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat May 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Must have been some game between LI and Yorkshire Carnegie, 55-48 the final score. Not enjoyable for the respective defence coaches, though!
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum