Mike Coman

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Mike Coman

Postby Jockybadger on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Good player, good captain, good rugby man, but with Bradbury, Ritchie, Manu, Hardie, Watson & Du Preez all available good outcome for all concerned
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Re: Mike Coman

Postby sammy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Manu available? Hardie on Scotland duty.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Next season
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

The rookies, and I mean no disrespect by that they have to start their careers sometime, will have a season behind them by then I suppose. Hardie will still be on International duty a lot. Maybe Manu will fully recover, be fit and delever, but DuPreez and or Watson might then be injured. We will need to bring someone else in, and I doubt they'll be as good as what's leaving.
Last edited by sammy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:31 pm

If it was just Coman that had left prob ok but Grant retired and Denton gone that is a third of our back row players gone. Hardie has arrived but DuPreez more than likely be on Scotland duty next year as well as he qualifies prior to autumn tests. So I think we need at least one new recruit in the back row and it may be difficult to get the same quality as has left.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 am

I have mentioned on another thread, the ideal replacement IMO would be Kelly Brown. He brings with him a shed load of experience both at International and European level, which no one else in our back row brings and that experience which can only help develop our youngsters. He is presently getting very little game time at Saracens, who have also just recruited S Burger from SA. I think Kelly would do the same type of role at Edinburgh as what Mike Blair is currently doing at Glasgow. And on a more controversial note if Grant Gilchrist is to go to pastures new I would bring back Jim Hamilton in the 2nd row for the same reasons as Kelly Brown.
Back division not to sure about, but would maybe start with Alex Grove.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:24 am

I can't see Kelly Brown coming back. He is on a huge contract at Sarries and doing a bit if coaching. I think he has lost a bit of hunger to play also. He is not the player he was.

Agree a signing of that ilk would not be a bad thing, if he was still hungry.

Strange that Glasgow signed Low then let him go, particularly when we are so short of 2nd rows at the moment. Haven't seen him play for a while but was a big hard player.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34 am

Our back row recruitment has been pretty good over the last couple of years - Hardie, Manu, du Preez - although the usual suspects will be along in five minutes to scream they had nothing to do with Solomons.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:11 am

Calm down Mrs Solomons, not every issue discussed is a dig at your husband. ;)

Our forwards recruitment has been generally fine. Regarding the back row, we will probably get away with just bringing in one experienced player (a 6/8) plus a couple of academy players to replace Denton, Grant and Coman who should be the only BR departures - provided that Ritchie and Bradbury are seen by the management as players who can handle meaningful gametime next season, they certainly look to have the talent.

As it stands we should have:

6. du Preez, Ritchie
7. Hardie, Watson
8. Manu, Bradbury

Which is fine just not particularly deep. Add an experienced 6/8 and a couple of Academy guys (e.g. Ally Miller and Neil Irvine-Hess) and back row will be the least of our concerns.

My immediate concerns are depth at Centre and Back 3. Depending on departures we might need another Lock.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

The lose of Conan is regrettable and part of a bigger, more worrying, problem. Scottish pro rugby is losing too many good players to the "big money" English/French game. We are in danger of becoming a development league for big English and French clubs.

The continued loss of players like Coman, Denton, etc means ER can never progress as Pro club.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:15 pm

take five wrote:The lose of Conan is regrettable and part of a bigger, more worrying, problem. Scottish pro rugby is losing too many good players to the "big money" English/French game. We are in danger of becoming a development league for big English and French clubs.

The continued loss of players like Coman, Denton, etc means ER can never progress as Pro club.

It's always going to be the case so we need to find a way to live with it. Unless you're aware of an untapped £10-15 million per year we can access.

I don't have a problem with players moving on - it's necessary to a degree otherwise we'll never be able to give younger players opportunities. SHC would have played very little competitive rugby if Laidlaw hadn't moved to Gloucester, and Kennedy might not recognise a rugby ball by now. If Barclay, Brown and Beattie hadn't moved on, players like Ashe Wilson and Fusaro would have had very limited game time. With just two pro teams, we can't have a situation where the team remains unchanged for 5-6 years at a time.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 pm

zt1903 wrote:Calm down Mrs Solomons, not every issue discussed is a dig at your husband. ;)

Our forwards recruitment has been generally fine. Regarding the back row, we will probably get away with just bringing in one experienced player (a 6/8) plus a couple of academy players to replace Denton, Grant and Coman who should be the only BR departures - provided that Ritchie and Bradbury are seen by the management as players who can handle meaningful gametime next season, they certainly look to have the talent.

As it stands we should have:

6. du Preez, Ritchie
7. Hardie, Watson
8. Manu, Bradbury

Which is fine just not particularly deep. Add an experienced 6/8 and a couple of Academy guys (e.g. Ally Miller and Neil Irvine-Hess) and back row will be the least of our concerns.

My immediate concerns are depth at Centre and Back 3. Depending on departures we might need another Lock.

That's pretty much my thinking tbh.

And Mrs Solomons is lovely, I had a chat to her after a game once. :)
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:38 pm

take five wrote:The lose of Conan is regrettable and part of a bigger, more worrying, problem. Scottish pro rugby is losing too many good players to the "big money" English/French game. We are in danger of becoming a development league for big English and French clubs.

it's not just about money though. With only two pro teams SCOTLAND can't afford for Edinburgh and Glasgow to retain their players. We need the turnover in personnel so that youth can come through.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:45 pm

Could do with a proper transfer market where clubs are compensated for developing players. Toulon owner has been open in that it is better value for him to sign international stars rather than spend 10 years developing young players who can then walk away for nothing.

It would still be the wealthy clubs buying the talent but other clubs would get cash to reinvest in further development.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:00 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Could do with a proper transfer market where clubs are compensated for developing players. Toulon owner has been open in that it is better value for him to sign international stars rather than spend 10 years developing young players who can then walk away for nothing.

It would still be the wealthy clubs buying the talent but other clubs would get cash to reinvest in further development.

Would need to be a similar market to football. Can't get a transfer fee for a player who is at the end of their contract except where a player is under 23 where compensation is paid. The first part of that is what happens anyway as we will have got compensation from Bath for Denton.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum