Jason Tovey Tribute Thread

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Jason Tovey Tribute Thread

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:JP in the post match interview gave him the name Stovies. Works for me.

Genius. I like it.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:28 am

I would like him to sign on, it's good he's the same as Weir. We haven't even had one game plan for the backs this year, going up to two in one season might give them headaches. I'm already preparing a Stovie to eat in his honour too
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:37 am

Question is, does Tovey want to play second fiddle to Weir here, or does he want to go somewhere he'll be seen as the starting 10? I would suspect the latter, so he may not want to stay here longer term. He may see these 4 games as putting himself in the shop window.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:01 am

If he's better than Weir why would he not be first choice? I'm not saying he is, but he did look like a genuine 10 who would compete well with him.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:33 am

Tovey can cover 15 as well, Weir is not going to play every game, definitely room for both.

Given the last few seasons if we had Tovey and Weir as our tens for next year I would be delighted.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:39 am

I agree there is room for both of them. Weir should be away with Scotland for chinks of the season and there will always be form issues. The ideal scenario is they fight for their places and improve each other. If Solly plays it right he wont have a first and second choice and give them both a chance. There may also be possibilities at 15, although with Bryce coming in and Kinghorn there it hopefully wont be an issue.

He is not world class but should do a job. He has a few more games to convince Solly he is worth a longer term contract.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:03 pm

He played a solid game on Friday and it just shows how much we have missed not having a proper 10 all season. With SHC away on RWC and 6Ns it was suicide to go into this season with such a paucity of experience and talent at 9 and 10 this season, particularly with it being a RWC and a great chance to get into the Top 6. By the way that is not to say Burleigh is not a good player but he is not a good 10! Tonks also failed to materialise as a 10! SHC also showed what it means to have a running threat at 9, particularly if you don’t have that at 10. Without a decent 10 then we end up playing a lot of rugby in the wrong part of the pitch and waste a lot of our forward dominance. How on earth Solomons thought our 9 and 10 options for this season were good enough is just beyond me!

However lets not let the excitement of watching us play with a proper 10 against the 2nd worst team with the worst defence in the league at home get us carried away, it does not mean Tovey is the man! Yes he is a solid experienced pro 10 and as I have said previously if he is one of three options at 10 for us next season then he will be a good back up. However to suddenly suggest he is on a par with Weir is a bit premature. Weir has played international rugby and was an integral part of the league Champions last season and scored some cracking tries with ball in hand last season and this. He is solid defensively and has bags of experience, I think he is an excellent signing for us and with SHC could make us a real threat. Tovey has years of experience playing for the worst non-italian team in the league, his last international appearance was for u20s some 5+ years ago, he has scored only 2 tries a season on average and he looks fragile defensively. However he has a good boot, a good pair of hands and for the right game will be an asset. However I would be worried if we teamed him up with the likes of Fowles as neither look to threaten with ball in hand. Te Rure, if he actually gets fit, may also be an option for games where we want to play a more direct running game.

Bottom line, Tovey is just what we need for the remainder of this season. Too little too late for us though! He may not want to be a back up, or even a back to a back up, next season. He will be nowhere near threatening Weir for 1st choice at 10 nor perhaps Te Rure if he reappears, nor is he in front of Bryce or Kinghorn at 15. If he is happy with providing cover then he might be a decent, inexpensive option.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:13 pm

I don't disagree with some of that, we are not getting carried away, just realising where we are and that Tovey is a decent player who will do a job for us. We have heard your opinion on Solly and what we had going into the season a few times now, it hasn't changed from the last time you said it all!!

Out of interest, how many tries do you expect from a pro 12 10/season? How many has Weir, or Russell for that matter averaged over their careers?

I wouldn't have thought 2 was a bad average for a 10.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:06 pm

I think Tovey had a good game but I'd rather see the Scottish qualified boys get a shot next year. I'm hoping Kinghorn also gets some time at stand off.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I wouldn't have thought 2 was a bad average for a 10.

I picked a few players at random:

Dan Biggar: 18 tries, 118 starts = 0.15 tries/start
Finn Russell: 3 tries, 25 starts = 0.12 tries/start
Duncan Weir: 5 tries, 51 starts = 0.10 tries/start
Paddy Jackson: 7 tries, 62 starts = 0.11 tries/start
Jason Tovey: 13 tries, 111 starts = 0.12 tries/start

So you seem to be right.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't disagree with some of that, we are not getting carried away, just realising where we are and that Tovey is a decent player who will do a job for us. We have heard your opinion on Solly and what we had going into the season a few times now, it hasn't changed from the last time you said it all!!

Out of interest, how many tries do you expect from a pro 12 10/season? How many has Weir, or Russell for that matter averaged over their careers?

I wouldn't have thought 2 was a bad average for a 10.

Russell got three last season. They're the only tries he's scored.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Frenchy wrote:

So you seem to be right.

Interesting, thanks. Of these five, four play for regular 'top 4' teams while the Tovenator has achieved the same strike rate with The Worst Non Italian Team In The League. A legend, surely!

On a similar note, hasn't Burleigh scored three or four this season so far?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Frenchy wrote:

So you seem to be right.

He also seems to be nicer than Biggar and doesn't go in for all that mucking about in his placekicking routine.

New Gunner wrote: Interesting, thanks. Of these five, four play for regular 'top 4' teams while the Tovenator has achieved the same strike rate with The Worst Non Italian Team In The League. A legend, surely!

I think we've conclusively established the legendary status of The Tovenator. This started out as a bit of a lighthearted thread, but I'm finding the evidence strangely compelling, nay overwhelming.

Can I remind colleagues that this is a tribute thread? Any mild doubts - in the unlikely event that there should be such things - must be expressed elsewhere...
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:24 pm

I would just like to point out that in the 2nd post in this thread "The Stand-Off Issue"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6937#wrap

I said

We don't need a Russell or a Sexton right away, a Carty or a Tovey would be an improvement.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:54 am

zt1903 wrote:I would just like to point out that in the 2nd post in this thread "The Stand-Off Issue"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6937#wrap

I said

We don't need a Russell or a Sexton right away, a Carter or a Tovey would be an improvement.

I demand a Tribute Thread for zt1903 (by the way, fixed your quote for you) :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum