Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Myreside

Postby Debaser on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:48 am

As it stands currently - Objections: 130 Supporting: 110
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Am assuming that like most local government things, democracy is irrelevant here (i.e. unless anyone can come up with a better argument that just a general whinge about a little extra noise and traffic, it probably doesn't matter whether we lose the supporting/objection "vote") ?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes, I don't think it's an absolute numbers game. If there genuinely is a lot of local objection, the 'elected members' will clearly have a political incentive to take a close interest, but all sorts of locally unpopular things get through planning. For example, the St James Centre redevelopment.

My experience of campaigning for things at a very local level is that usually the local political people are supportive or, at least, sympathetic, but they tend to get steamrollered by the majority of the council politicians who don't have a dog in the fight and just do what they're told. That may or may not be right in the case in question, but that's life.

I'd be surprised if this application gets refused, particularly as there's been a stadium there for some years, which I think is older than the houses closest to it. It might have been different if it was a brand new development. Things like traffic and other pressures that had never been there before would be a genuine issue to address.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 am

I would be very surprised if the trial does not get approved as it is a temporary arrangement for half a dozen matches.

Any future permanent development may be different but ultimately this is a school looking to invest in its sports facilities so I think the council would need a really compelling reason to not allow the development although they could easily approve a smaller capacity than planned making it unfit for ERs use.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:04 pm

I have little concern regarding the opposition on the planning portal. The NIMBY's will have got everyone they know to get involved. The planners do not zip up the back and all they will have done is demonstrate that most of the objections are contrived. This has the backing of Edinburgh Rugby, the SRU, GWC, the Merchant Company and most importantly the council will view is as a means of moving away from the total KelvinDeaker they made of Meggetland and the state of Meadowbank.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:13 pm

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the Edinburgh Accies proposal got the go ahead for Raeburn Place despite a long and concerted campaign against it, compared to that these objections appear to be small potatoes.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Certainly forms part of what I was thinking. I think the objections included residents and the business community. Lets be honest about it the Raeburn Place development would quite genuinely change the entire nature of Stockbridge and also included a change in zoning ie. Commercial retail space replacing open green space which is always contentious.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 am

Did Accies sort out the ransom strip with Grange?

I have to sayistruggle to understand the logic of Raeburn place if there is no pro rugby there. They are never going to need the seats. Not sure about the retail etc, maybe the seats are just the front to build the shops under!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Did Accies sort out the ransom strip with Grange?

I have to sayistruggle to understand the logic of Raeburn place if there is no pro rugby there. They are never going to need the seats. Not sure about the retail etc, maybe the seats are just the front to build the shops under!

There's very little info around about Aeburn Place, but their stance on the strip of land is available below

http://www.raeburnplacefoundation.org/n ... grange-egm

And you're right, without pro rugby it makes very little sense.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:15 pm

It was my understanding that without the shops the plan would be unaffordable, and Accies do need new facilities. I don't know if there was and "understanding" with Edinburgh Rugby or not, but events certainly seem to have overtaken them. In a way it's a shame, I loved living in Stockbridge and it would be a great area for post-match pints
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:27 pm

but but... what about the parking and the buses???????
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Temporary planning application has been recommended for approval.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Planning Report has been published on the Edinburgh website along with all the comments (objections and supporting)

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk ... LLGEWKCB00
Yonthing
International

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:14 pm

I had a random look at some and enjoyed the phrase "noisy supporter participation razzamatazz".
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:39 pm

some classic nimby stuff, just looked at an epic objection

We have a ground floor balcony that opens onto George Watson's College grounds and
rugby pitch, only separated by a glass partition 3.4 feet high. In addition all of our bedrooms,
including for on son aged 12 and daughter aged 14, have windows that directly border the ground.
We are extremely concerned with regards our privacy and not at all reassured by promises of
stewarding based on previously related experiences when the Rugby pitch has been used for an
annual fireworks display. This included attendees "knocking" on my daughter's bedroom window
while she was lying on her bed and other leaning over the balcony to pick flowers from our
planters.
I

Existing residents along Myreside Road already have to tolerate supporters banging on our
property windows, walking and running through private garden areas, littering and noise
disturbance on match days. This situation will be made much worse by the proposed
development.

However, the transport statement notes that "the first two home games of the 2016/17 season,
against Scarlets on the 9th September and Leinster on the 16th September resulted in an average
spectator attendance of 2,600".

That being the case then Meggetland, an existing purpose built rugby facility, could accommodate
the expected match day crowds without the need to use Myreside. Meggetland is closer to
Murrayfield and is more easily accessible by public transport including rail. It is, therefore, more
sustainable.

It is contended that the existing Meggetland facility, with adaptation would better suit the proposed
development and, as such, it should be located there as opposed to Myreside.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum