Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2016/17

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2016/17

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:58 pm

I have yet to see us miss an outstanding young talent who went on to do wonders elesewhere.

The players you mention were very young when kept out and as I said have not exactly gone on to prove Solly wrong. No matter when the age a player has to earn the right to a slot. If they were not as good as Beard or Basilia then who is at fault? Its a harsh world, get better or go home.

Piers Francis is the one young player who has gone onto better things but he got chances and nobody thought he was any good.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:15 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I have yet to see us miss an outstanding young talent who went on to do wonders elesewhere.

The players you mention were very young when kept out and as I said have not exactly gone on to prove Solly wrong. No matter when the age a player has to earn the right to a slot. If they were not as good as Beard or Basilia then who is at fault? Its a harsh world, get better or go home.

Piers Francis is the one young player who has gone onto better things but he got chances and nobody thought he was any good.

But that's the point, I didn't say we let world beaters seep through the cracks. I said the young players could've been an upgrade but didn't get the chance to prove that they were. If they were terrible in games I agree sack them off but my point is, what was the point in not risking it? So we didn't get hammered is the answer but a loss is a loss. Young players usually get better with game time as well.

I think Edinburgh have been in a position to take a few risks for a long time, I think we've been a bit risk averse. But now we've started taking a few risks like giving Hodge the reigns and taking a chance on guys like Mata and then throwing youngsters just out of school into the match we've seen improvements.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Other than props which were necessity (and he has still signed 2 imports to coveR) I cant see who Hodge has promoted or given more game time to that Solly hasnt?

There are always differences of opinion on the quality of some players. If we play Auld then Dean might not get game times, if we played Macandrew then Kennedy and SHC miss out, so it is not really as straight forward. he issue is not having enough pro teams to bring them through. Playing a team with 10 under 21 is not the answer in the pro 12 as they will learn little from being thrashed.

As mentioned I think with Mccallum, Cosgrove, Toolis, Bradbury, Ritchie, SHC, Bean, Hoyland, Knghorn are all young players and realistically there is a limit to the number of young players who will come through at the same time and make the grade.

If they are good enough they will play, we have many issues, not giving youngsters a chance is low on the list.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:23 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Other than props which were necessity (and he has still signed 2 imports to coveR) I cant see who Hodge has promoted or given more game time to that Solly hasnt?

There are always differences of opinion on the quality of some players. If we play Auld then Dean might not get game times, if we played Macandrew then Kennedy and SHC miss out, so it is not really as straight forward. he issue is not having enough pro teams to bring them through. Playing a team with 10 under 21 is not the answer in the pro 12 as they will learn little from being thrashed.

As mentioned I think with Mccallum, Cosgrove, Toolis, Bradbury, Ritchie, SHC, Bean, Hoyland, Knghorn are all young players and realistically there is a limit to the number of young players who will come through at the same time and make the grade.

If they are good enough they will play, we have many issues, not giving youngsters a chance is low on the list.

Auld was a few years before Dean, in any case you could've had Auld 12 Dean 13, or Auld 13 instead of Allan or Beard. Macandrew was world cup cover and last year our scrum halves were all very ropey last year.

I agree there is, I'm not saying we should drop Manu and put in Irvine Hess. I am saying we went a few years will Solly consolidating and trying to avoid a hammering which is fair enough but smacks of a lack or progression and ambition which may have stunted development of players.

I agree that Hodge is continuing Solly kind of introducing young players and this is the road I hope to continue. Ally Miller is a regular at Scottish next year so I hope he gets chances next year. Hugh Fraser as well will return and could be special. There's players coming through and I hope Miller is trusted next year and we don't bring in a journeyman who takes away game time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:25 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Piers Francis is the one young player who has gone onto better things but he got chances and nobody thought he was any good.

I thought he was thoroughly competent and got an undeserved slating on here for not being Scottish enough amongst other things.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Interesting test for Nick Beavon tomorrow - he'll be playing for Melrose and scrummaging against Ryan Grant who's LH for Currie.
disco
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum