Season 2016/17

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Season 2016/17

Postby doedin on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:42 pm

He has looked like he needed at least half season to get up to speed after lengthy lay offs. He has been our poorest lock so far this season. It would be a shame to lose him but it might be a good time for him and us to part company and as others have said Carmichael seems a prospect.

Perhaps we can use the freed up salary to make Jones and offer he can’t refuse?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Not clear if this is end of season once out of contract or now with compensation similar to the Denton situation.

Either way it is a difficult one, he is likely to be one of our high earners and he while has not been back to his pre-injury best we would still need another 2nd row, assuming Carmichael steps up, and are unlikely to pick up one as good as Gilchrist even below his best.

I guess the flip side would be if he was to go now and we got 6-8 months compensation could we do the same and possibly buy out Huw Jones contract if he was interested? Or would the salary savings allow us to possibly keep a Nel, Hardie etc I guess it may be a question of where JP, Hodge and SRU see the most value, would extending Nels contract or adding Jones have a bigger impact the rest of this season than keeping Gilchrist?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:54 pm

WP appear to have gone into liquidation. Getting hold of Jones just became cheaper.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Toulon have Crammond who's a young Scottish lock they can send over to us if they fancy GG. Would be a good move for him if true - a lot of money and Toulon do take out of form or unwanted former star players and salvage their career.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:19 pm

I would happily have A Toolis back at Edinburgh if GG were to fancy a move to France. I thought he was looking really good towards the end of his time with us and really stepped up when he was given a decent run in the side.

On Jones, with the exception of; Nel, Dicko, Bresler, Toolis, Watson & Hoyland (I expect Mata, Kinghorn and Bradbury will be added to the list in due course), I'm struggling to think of an ER player I would not sacrifice to get Jones into a black and red no. 13 jersey!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Wottie wrote:I would happily have A Toolis back at Edinburgh if GG were to fancy a move to France. I thought he was looking really good towards the end of his time with us and really stepped up when he was given a decent run in the side.

On Jones, with the exception of; Nel, Dicko, Bresler, Toolis, Watson & Hoyland (I expect Mata, Kinghorn and Bradbury will be added to the list in due course), I'm struggling to think of an ER player I would not sacrifice to get Jones into a black and red no. 13 jersey!

Bradbury, Watson, Hoyland and Kinghorn are the only players I'd be gutted to lose. We have to keep them together and playing regularly as all have the potential to be world class. It is going to be a genuine pleasure to watch these four develop as players and get more and more recognition with Scotland. I can't wait for Edinburgh matches anymore to watch those four especially. If you could throw someone as exciting as Jones into that back line then I'd be very happy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Wottie wrote:I would happily have A Toolis back at Edinburgh if GG were to fancy a move to France. I thought he was looking really good towards the end of his time with us and really stepped up when he was given a decent run in the side.

Bradbury, Watson, Hoyland and Kinghorn are the only players I'd be gutted to lose. We have to keep them together and playing regularly as all have the potential to be world class. It is going to be a genuine pleasure to watch these four develop as players and get more and more recognition with Scotland. I can't wait for Edinburgh matches anymore to watch those four especially. If you could throw someone as exciting as Jones into that back line then I'd be very happy.

Early days, but Bill Mata also looks like he could be a club favourite.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:52 am

Agree 100%.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:14 am

I would also like to mention Chris Dean in dispatches. He seems to quietly be becoming quite a defender. Seems pretty good at holding up attackers in contact and knows how to win turnovers.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:51 pm

ratty wrote:I would also like to mention Chris Dean in dispatches. He seems to quietly be becoming quite a defender. Seems pretty good at holding up attackers in contact and knows how to win turnovers.

He was a really good defender last season, if he can get involved in attack more he has the potential to be a complete player - I think he looked better at 12 than he does at 13.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
ratty wrote:I would also like to mention Chris Dean in dispatches. He seems to quietly be becoming quite a defender. Seems pretty good at holding up attackers in contact and knows how to win turnovers.

He was a really good defender last season, if he can get involved in attack more he has the potential to be a complete player - I think he looked better at 12 than he does at 13.

Agreed! Dean has looked a better 12 than a 13 when I have seen him and he is a good player but seems to lack the pace or attacking nous at 13. Filling the 13 spot is our top priority and has been for a few season now. Solomons seemed happy to fill it with a procession of players who were out of position and it never worked, although like our wingers then it was all about defending and a kick chase. I thought that one of the new guys this season might step into the breach but obviously Hodge doesn’t see it that way? Dean and Burleigh will do a good job for us at 12. Jones would make an excellent 13 for us - if i keep saying it then it might happen!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:49 pm

I agree Dean's probably a better 12. I think the main issue is that Tofilau and Rasolea are poor defenders, given we have guys like Burleigh/Hoyland/Kinghorn all in the backline who can attack, it does make sense to go for the better defender at 13.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:15 pm

70% of a centres work in a game is defensive. That is something which is being said an awful lot around Scottish Pro teams at the moment and is why Dean is getting picked and why Bennet is not nailed on as a starter for Glasgow.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:59 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:70% of a centres work in a game is defensive. That is something which is being said an awful lot around Scottish Pro teams at the moment and is why Dean is getting picked and why Bennet is not nailed on as a starter for Glasgow.

Really? That's interesting, I presumed Bennett wasn't playing (to risk enraging our weegie friends) because he's just not been good in attack or defence recently.

Although to be fair when I think of 13s around world rugby I suppose the best ones are the best defenders. It's why I think if fit Taylor has a good chance to be Lions 13.

I still think Dean just needs that little break more often - we've seen it in 7s - so hopefully he brings it to Edinburgh soon.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Going back to the lock issue - there is an amazing stat on the Edinburgh site which states that Toolis is top of the Pro 12 "lineouts won" table with 42 and Gilcho is in second on 34 - stop the press, Embra in functioning lineout shocker!

I have to say I was impressed with Cochrane's darts on Friday.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum