Blues vs Gunners

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Blues vs Gunners

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:23 pm

So, first game of the season coming up, but can't say I'm optimistic of a win. Cardiff finished the season strongly, and we haven't exactly sparkled in pre-season, so the omens aren't overly positive. I think we'll do well to come away with a bonus point from this one.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Blues vs Gunners

Postby gowrie on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:51 pm

Think we'll see a very similar team as v. Newcastle

1. Sutherland, 2. McInally/Ford, 3. Nel, 4. Gilchrist, 5. Toolis, 6. Hardie, 7. Watson, 8. Bradbury
9. H-C, 10. Weir, 11. Brown, 12. Burleigh, 13. Tofilau, 14. Scholes, 15. Bryce
16. Ford/McInally, 17. Cosgrove, 18. Berghan, 19. McKenzie, 20. Ritchie, 21. Fowles, 22. Kinghorn, 23. Rasolea

Backrow's looking a bit wonky, hard to predict how it'll go without much idea of Manu's injury and where Fihaki's in the pecking order. One bonus at least is that of that 23 which only 4 are NSQ, though all 3 centres are unfortunately.

Think we can beat them up in the pack but we're too slow to contain them for a full 80, especially on artificial turf. Probably agree that we're looking at a LBP as a result down there.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 pm

Rasolea should be on from the start based on his performance last week
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am

I think Gowrie is about right with his forecast although I would like to see Fowles on instead of SHC whose passing was woeful. At least Fowles can send out a fast pass in front of the man at the right hight and he certainly helped Weir speed up the game when he came on. I also suspect that Hoyland (or is he injured?) might be back instead of Scholes who didn’t impress me at all last week.

I also agree that we might get caught out on the artificial turf, we struggled last time with controlling the bouncy ball at the breakdown and with receiving kicks. Our defensive line also looked very slow against the Geordies and we struggled to contain their nippy backs with our drift defence. I was also impressed with our new NSQ centres but this will be a test of their defensive abilities and it will be interesting to see what our centre combination is and how they gel.

A LBP might be about right!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Wulver on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:24 am

Hi all, first post on the forum. I can't disagree with what has already been said really. SHC's development has really stalled.

Are many folk heading down for the game? I live down in Cardiff and it would be nice to see a strong away support.
The Wulver
Embra Debut

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:45 am

Im going to be bullish about this, Im going for a win.

Start of the season, we can grind them down in the forwards. Backs will take time to gel i think. It feels like we have had a very short pre season and not enough games to get everyone together. When you look at the backline it has had a major overhaul from last year particularly in midfield. I think Weir will add more game management which will hopefully allow us to close out games where we are on top and tkae advantage of the forward dominance. In the past there was always an uneasy feeling when the girls were given the ball.

Cardiff will be stronger than last year but they were pretty poor last year (sound familiar?)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:55 am

I think the result will be dictated by which Edinburgh shows up.

On paper, our front 5 is better than Cardiff’s and a backrow along the lines of Manu, Hardie/Watson and Fihaki should have more than enough beef to cope with the likes of Nick Williams. And in the backs, if Weir, Rasolea and Tofilau keep up their good form from pre-season, they should be competitive (particularly if the Blues are without their internationals).

Play at our best, or something near it, and we will win. And if we’re serious about a top 6 finish, or higher, this is the sort of game we absolutely need to be targeting for a win.

If, however, SHC spends the whole game passing to people’s ankles or above their heads, and we defend like we did against Newcastle, I can see the likes of Nick Williams, Matthew Morgan and Rey Lee-Lo ripping us apart and us coming home with nothing.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 am

I'd forgotten about Nick Williams...
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am

We will put Tom Brown on Williams to shut him out the game.

Last seasons post 1872 drop off in form appears to have everyone scratching their heads, which is a concern, however hopefully the group has at the very least learnt from the experience.

We really need to see the team go out every game with the attitude and performance level that we saw across both 1872 games last season.

I agree with Rico that we have it within the squad to win but the team really needs to turn up and concentrate for the full 80.

I expect us to dominate the set piece as we did most games last season, we need to see improvement at the breakdown but with Gilchrist, McKenzie and Manu all hopefully back they should all help improve this area and support Ritchie being a constant nuisance.

Defence – got to be better than the Newcastle game, in general it was pretty good last season.

Attack – As DL said may take time for the backs to gel but given our limited play book last season this could also be a positive if the new midfield plays a bit more on instinct and try some offloads etc.

Not expecting a classic match but hoping we can come away with something.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:So, first game of the season coming up, but can't say I'm optimistic of a win. Cardiff finished the season strongly, and we haven't exactly sparkled in pre-season, so the omens aren't overly positive.

I have the same feeling.
It could be a depressing start to the season. Cardiff were behind us the last few seasons (and most of last one), but they are improving fastly because they seem to be well coached. And I'm not sure we have solved this issue.
Interesting anyway.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Wow its cheerful in here isnt it?

This is the one time of year when we get to have a bit of hope! We are currently joint top of the league. I genuinely think we are stronger than last year. Midfield was our major weak spot and we have put a lot of resource into solving that, at the same time we have kept hold of the best parts of our pack. Keeping hold of our front and second rows was a big win for us, dont think that there weren't agents and clubs trying to lure them away. We have some exciting young players coming through who will be good to watch.

Chin up, new season, new opportunities.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure is Dolf although to be fair, after what has been endured over the last 5 years, more injuries coming out of pre-season and our two decidedly ordinary warm up games, its difficult not to have a glass half empty outlook going into the weekend.

I think I would have preferred to have avoided a plastic pitch away from home in 1st game of the season and my expectations are therefore low for Saturday. I hope the boys smash it and surprise us all so we can look forward to the Scarlets at Murrayfield and to building some momentum early in this season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:54 pm

We have unfinished business from May, we were gubbing Cardiff in that game before we remembered who we were and became hopeless around the breakdown and our attack became toothless, that was unforgivable.

There is no reason we can't gub them again and keep it going this time, stuff the plastic pitch and whatever other excuses, we have to win.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Well said :above: :above: :above:

:airborne: :airborne: :airborne:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Wottie wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Sure is Dolf although to be fair, after what has been endured over the last 5 years, more injuries coming out of pre-season and our two decidedly ordinary warm up games, its difficult not to have a glass half empty outlook going into the weekend.

I think I would have preferred to have avoided a plastic pitch away from home in 1st game of the season and my expectations are therefore low for Saturday. I hope the boys smash it and surprise us all so we can look forward to the Scarlets at Murrayfield and to building some momentum early in this season.

Id rather play Cardiff away than Scarlets anywhere to be honest, I reckon Scarlets will be play-offs this year and outsiders to win it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum