Blues vs Gunners

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Blues vs Gunners

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:18 pm

liveinhope wrote:Watching Glasgow earlier there were literally dozens of examples of pieces of skill-I honestly haven't seen one from us all game. Shocked by the level of ineptitude-even our much vaunted front row have been awful.

Our entire team, including the whole pack, have been rubbish. Apologies to people tired of this, but it really does come down to coaching. Why are our players so badly organised and the complete opposite of the dynamic Glasgow forwards? Our scrums and mauling haven't even been any good this game. Give Townsend this pack and he'd make them league beaters, give Solomons Glasgow and he'd have them in the basement after a single pre-season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:20 pm

gowrie wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Watching Glasgow earlier there were literally dozens of examples of pieces of skill-I honestly haven't seen one from us all game. Shocked by the level of ineptitude-even our much vaunted front row have been awful.

Our entire team, including the whole pack, have been rubbish. Apologies to people tired of this, but it really does come down to coaching. Why are our players so badly organised and the complete opposite of the dynamic Glasgow forwards? Our scrums and mauling haven't even been any good this game. Give Townsend this pack and he'd make them league beaters, give Solomons Glasgow and he'd have them in the basement after a single pre-season.

I'm finally coming around to this way of thinking.

These are good players playing awful rugby.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
gowrie wrote:

Exactly. I don't think we've got a world beating squad, but Connacht and Glasgow have won the league with only a sprinkling of star players. They win by building effective systems and relentlessly pushing the players to up their pace and skill level.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Coaches have to go. We have a better squad now but the mistakes are the same as they always have been. I'm done with Solomons.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:53 pm

gowrie wrote:

Exactly. I don't think we've got a world beating squad, but Connacht and Glasgow have won the league with only a sprinkling of star players. They win by building effective systems and relentlessly pushing the players to up their pace and skill level.[/quote]

Feel sorry for the new players, they've been mugged
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:08 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
gowrie wrote:

Exactly. I don't think we've got a world beating squad, but Connacht and Glasgow have won the league with only a sprinkling of star players. They win by building effective systems and relentlessly pushing the players to up their pace and skill level.

Feel sorry for the new players, they've been mugged[/quote]

i think Glasgow won with more than a sprinkling. Players like Grat, Nakawara, strauss, harley, pyrgos, Russel, Dunbar, Bennet, Seymour, Hogg, lamont are going to give anyone problems. our issue is that the staff seem to be getting the worst out of our players rather than the best.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Dire. LawrenceBryce TonySpreadbury JonathanKaplan SteveWalsh dire.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:06 am

I don't know if if I can bear another season of this rubbish. Does Solomons think Leinster, Glasgow and Connacht have got their tactics all wrong with their attractive rugby?

I'm not completely surprised though having watched the backs training. Maybe there was a reason for what they were doing but there was zero intensity. They would run a move unopposed, stand around for 5 minutes, then do another. I hope they have got more up their sleeve than this.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:07 am

So my original pessimism about this fixture turned out to be optimism, as that 2nd half was reminiscent of the Bradley years. Credit to the Cardiff forwards, they battered us to the point of submission, but it was painful viewing from an Edinburgh perspective. But I think we need to keep the heid here. The players and coaches need to bounce back from this quickly, and show that they can play rugby. I understand why people are calling for change, but it was the first game of the season and there's time to recover from this. A good performance against Scarlets is really required now.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:14 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:So my original pessimism about this fixture turned out to be optimism, as that 2nd half was reminiscent of the Bradley years. Credit to the Cardiff forwards, they battered us to the point of submission, but it was painful viewing from an Edinburgh perspective. But I think we need to keep the heid here. The players and coaches need to bounce back from this quickly, and show that they can play rugby. I understand why people are calling for change, but it was the first game of the season and there's time to recover from this. A good performance against Scarlets is really required now.

They've picked up where they left off last season, (worse actually in my view). 3 seasons of this, 3 full preseasons, a bunch of spending on new players, new coaches, and it's the same old rubbish on the pitch. Solomons is the problem and always will be, we simply are not going anywhere under him and it's far past time he went.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 am

macdone wrote:I'm not completely surprised though having watched the backs training. Maybe there was a reason for what they were doing but there was zero intensity. They would run a move unopposed, stand around for 5 minutes, then do another. I hope they have got more up their sleeve than this.

I can't believe this is acceptable at modern pro-level. We had more intensive and complicated training at U14 level with one of the player's dad volunteering as coach.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:57 am

I've been shaking my heid for 2 years now re Solomons, I assume it must be about £ (or can it when Glasgow get a very well regarded S15 coach) as in a coaching/rugby sense there is NO reason to retain his services (ditto Hodge).

Edinburgh are quite simply lamentably coached .

O'Halloran & Dalziell please
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I think Lineen is our best bet. The problem now is that a new coach coming in will have no time to work with the squad before being pitched in, who would want to do that?

I agree the sum is less than the parts, there can only really be one answer to that.

Other than the defence for the try, we looked decent in the first 20 mins. It just went totally wrong from there.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Jockybadger wrote:I've been shaking my heid for 2 years now re Solomons, I assume it must be about £ (or can it when Glasgow get a very well regarded S15 coach) as in a coaching/rugby sense there is NO reason to retain his services (ditto Hodge).

Edinburgh are quite simply lamentably coached .

O'Halloran & Dalziell please

O´Halloran is a great shout, if he would be allowed to. Wilkins has done a good job with the defence. Dalziel, Hines and Mike Blair would be obvious choices to get involved, perhaps even Simon Taylor. But maybe it would be good to get some complete outsiders. Either way, they can't do any worse than the current lot.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think Lineen is our best bet. The problem now is that a new coach coming in will have no time to work with the squad before being pitched in, who would want to do that?

You mean as a coach or as a supporter?
I don't know for the coaches but one of the top club in Europe (one which is part part of one the three top league) should interest anyone.
As a supporter, yes, I want a change! (except if it is to put in charge Scott and Hodge instead!)
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum