Time to Change the Coaching staff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Time to Change the Coaching staff

Postby gowrie on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:57 am

We've already rewarded him for failure by repeatedly renewing his contract. We know we're not getting any better under him, which means no top 6 this year again, and we're not going to qualify as the top Scottish team, so there's nothing to lose from ditching Solomons and starting again is there? What does it matter if Solomons takes us slow and steady to 8th, and a new coach comes in and takes us to 9th after a bedding in period?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:30 am

So.... season's over after 80 minutes, then?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am

robdinsdale wrote:So.... season's over after 80 minutes, then?

It's been 2 and a half years of turgid rugby now. We finished 9th last season and the run of games in 2016 has been brutal to watch. Solomons deserves credit for overhauling the squad I guess.

Edinburgh fans are a loyal bunch. We turn up to watch our team despite the slim pickings on offer. You can't say people haven't given Solomons a chance.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:01 pm

robdinsdale wrote:So.... season's over after 80 minutes, then?

Honestly, what do you expect is going to change? Solomons has been here for 3 years, and we're not going anywhere. People said give him this last season to prove himself, and the players put in one of the most abject performances I've seen in years. There's no master plan or secret tactics, Edinburgh are exactly the same as they were last season and the season before. Why waste more time confirming what's already been proven almost beyond a doubt?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:46 pm

The Wulver wrote:Was Petrie not in the paper recently saying they would be sitting down with AS soon to discuss next season/ his contract situation? The only discussion they should be having is the one where he's told he is no longer required.

Whilst I have come to accept AS is here for the season, if Petrie gives him a new contract then serious questions need to be asked about his judgement. Rugby is a results based business and the results are not there to merit a new one.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:50 pm

The first excuse AS made in his first season was that pre season preparations were not good enough. That looked a pretty similar level of performance to me. Somehow I doubt things will be better against the Scarlets and the Scarlets backline will probably run rings round the ER defence.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:Solomons shouldn't have been here at the start of last season, it defies belief that he's contracted to the end of this one.

I don't know why Dodson did it. If we continue rudderless the extension may be his worst decision to date.

Because the powers that be are happy with mediocrity while they focus their attentions on Myreside
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Legless wrote:
zt1903 wrote:Solomons shouldn't have been here at the start of last season, it defies belief that he's contracted to the end of this one.

I don't know why Dodson did it. If we continue rudderless the extension may be his worst decision to date.

Because the powers that be are happy with mediocrity while they focus their attentions on Myreside

:eek:
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Legless wrote:

I assume you'll wander up to JP in the suite tomorrow and tell him that? Or are you going to cower behind anonymity?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Scarlett's have to b favourites, even without DTH. That said, we're at home, and badly need a win. The front five should be sharper this week, we have to take the game to them up front. Fear for our new backline, defending against the Williamses and Davies...

Let's get behind the boys and see a reaction after Cardiff.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Wasn't able to watch; are the pitchforks being put back into (temporary) storage?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Frenchy wrote:Wasn't able to watch; are the pitchforks being put back into (temporary) storage?

On the basis of that, no. Edinburgh were poor, Llanelli somehow managed to be even worse.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:54 pm

Frenchy wrote:Wasn't able to watch; are the pitchforks being put back into (temporary) storage?

Both sides utterly inept. Embra were just marginally less so.

And Weir played a pretty damn good game
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Weegie wrote:

On the basis of that, no. Edinburgh were poor, Llanelli somehow managed to be even worse.

On the bright side, at least we weren't the team that's supposed to have a world class backline.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:22 am

It will be a reprieve but it shouldn't be. Good defence today (can only play what's in front of you) but the attack was woeful . There's no structure to the attack at all. Weir was good but the centres and outside backs had no ball. The tries were extremely flukey ... if Bryce had done what Liam Williams did for the first he'd be crucified and the second was somehow worse from the Scarlets.

Scarlets were absolutely abysmal tonight and we were at best ok overall.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum