Time to Change the Coaching staff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Time to Change the Coaching staff

Postby Wottie on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Not sure our wingers have had a pass in either of the two games this season yet but FKL, you cannot seriously have pitched up at Murrayfield last night with an expectation of seeing flowing and incisive back play did you? Furthermore, the way the ref was penalising the team in possession at the breakdown, putting the boot to it was the only way to play last night.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Wottie wrote:Not sure our wingers have had a pass in either of the two games this season yet but FKL, you cannot seriously have pitched up at Murrayfield last night with an expectation of seeing flowing and incisive back play did you? Furthermore, the way the ref was penalising the team in possession at the breakdown, putting the boot to it was the only way to play last night.

I expected - foolishly - to see some development in our attacking structures. Weir had a good game but please give Tolifau, Brown, Allen and Bryce the ball and see what they can do. Our attack is still so brutal.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:03 pm

the way the ref was penalising the team in possession at the breakdown,

I haven't seen our game yet, but this has been a prominent change this season in the half dozen games I've seen from the Aviva and the Pro 12, it looks like there is a directive to penalise the team with the ball for "holding on" very quickly. The only way to avoid it is to make the clean out very quickly and we need our guys to realise it and support the ball carrier better
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
the way the ref was penalising the team in possession at the breakdown,

I haven't seen our game yet, but this has been a prominent change this season in the half dozen games I've seen from the Aviva and the Pro 12, it looks like there is a directive to penalise the team with the ball for "holding on" very quickly. The only way to avoid it is to make the clean out very quickly and we need our guys to realise it and support the ball carrier better

Yeah I agree. My concern is that this will serve to dampen enthusiasm for half breaks and quick taps, for fear of becoming marginally isolated and coughing up a penalty. That's certainly not going to enhance the spectacle and entertainment value in the game.

At risk (or indeed in the certainty) of going off piste on this thread, does anyone else find themselves longing for good old fashioned 1980's style rucking? Have to say I'm getting bored with the breakdown in the modern game, it's producing way too many penalties and cutting down the time the ball is in play to unacceptable levels.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:21 pm

That does seem at odds with the directive to favour the attacking side. These things tend to be talking points for the first few weeks then the refs revert to the old ways.

I am all for ensuring a fair contest but he was very quick with the whistle a few times. Having said that it may not encrouage taps etc but a lot of scres come from turnovers and broken feidld running. It will also encrouage less big ball carriers and more fetchers to steal the ball. Efficient rucking will be critical, something Edinburgh and Scotland have consistantly struggled with as opposition slow down our ball.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:56 am

I think we have to develop this topic all along the season.
To make clear that, at least, we want to make rid of Solomons and co (Hodge, Scott and Wilkins) at the end of the season. Because they have failed, as a coaching team.

I still can't believe that the SRU were negociating with the likes of Cotter, Townend and Rennie, and that Solly is still here.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:10 pm

We need to get someone identified asap to come in either prior to Christmas or else name them now for the start of next season as the Weegies have done. Solomons is a dead man walking and things are only going to deteriorate from now on. It is going to be hard to recruit any players for next season or indeed keep those going out of contract at the end of the season with him in charge and another season where we come 8th or 9th. Just look at the (lack) of quality of our signings this season, apart from Weir we have signed guys who have failed to make it elsewhere. We need to have someone identified and involved in squad management from now onwards and if they are free then get them in now!

It will be interesting to see just how low our attendances get this season, we are already way below previous seasons and it will only get worse with the poor rugby we play and the poor results we have had and no sign of any progress over the last 3-4 season under Solomons.

We have a lot of good players. We can field a set of forwards who have all been capped or will be this season, as well as a 9 and 10 who are of the same standard yet when they play for Embra they look a bit lost and not sure what to do. Surely it is down to the coaching team? Our backs are basically just lost and crumble under pressure.

From a Scotland point of view with only 2 pro teams we cannot allow Solomons to continue and suck confidence from one of our pro teams and to disenfranchise any more international players. He has to go for the good of the game in Scotland! It really was a dreadful decision to keep him.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:46 pm

germain wrote:I think we have to develop this topic all along the season.
To make clear that, at least, we want to make rid of Solomons and co (Hodge, Scott and Wilkins) at the end of the season. Because they have failed, as a coaching team.

I still can't believe that the SRU were negociating with the likes of Cotter, Townend and Rennie, and that Solly is still here.

Really? I think that makes sense. The Scotland national team job is the big one and the SRU were desperate to keep Townsend in Scotland - this had probably been planned for a while they just needed to find Glasgow a coach that plays the same style. Then Dave Rennie becomes available as Hansen stays with the ABs so they get him in before the English/French/Irish clubs consider their coaching situations. Glasgow are a well run team with a good culture and growing support, they have some great players and having Rennie there means that there is no uncertainty and they can sort out contracts quickly as Rennie knows who he wants.

Their has been a strategy to what Dodson has been doing, I honestly think the one year deal for Solomons was because he did come close to Champions Cup and there was no good replacement available. I feel like this HAS to be Solly's last year so getting a new coach in is essential so next year's playing squad can be considered.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 pm

I will really welcome any annoucement. And the sooner the better.

But was it really impossible to keep Townsend two more years at Glasgow, Cotter two more years for the scotland job and to attract Rennie here? I guess it was (or it's madness).
But I'm still aggrieved to know Solomons is here for one more year.

I would be extremely comprehensive and lenient for any scottish coach promoted from the domestic competition, but I really have no more comprehension or leniency left for Solomons.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Party Line on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm holding out for O'halloran to move to the Edinburgh Job when Toony takes over Scotland and Cotter exits stage left. If I remember rightly although there was some connection with Vern Cotters brother or something (enough to muddy the waters for those with muddy coloured spectacles) he was a bit of a coup at the time as an innovative up and coming coach in NZ on the fringes of breaking through to a big club. There was some analysis on Scotland's attack I read on t'internet, that was very complimentary and backed it up with video evidence. Enough to impress me , although that is a low bar admittedly.
The Party Line
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:23 pm

The chances of getting someone new in mid season are virtually none. The best options would be either Hogde and Scott are given 6 months to prove they deserve the job or Sean Lineen is brought into steady things. Neither option appears to be that bad at the moment.

The idea we are going to pull in a Dave Rennie is laughable at the moment. I dont know what the best answer is to be honest, the sum is not equaling the parts. I think we have a good squad but they are not doing the basics well.

PersonallY i would go for Lineed but Im not sure what that would do to the moral of Hodge and Scott who he would need to make it work. Also there is the cost of getting rid of Solly.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:19 pm

I think it's already the plan to give the head coach role to Scott or to Hodge next year. That's why they are contracted till 2018.
I'm not really delighted by this news (I'm sure I said it was madness when announced). Scott looks to be a good scrum coach, but will he bring something else? No comment on Hodge.
Plus, the both of them already took the job after the sacking of Bradley. Their nomination would not be what I call fresh air. But we need fresh air!

Lineen would make me really happy.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 pm

The Party Line wrote:I'm holding out for O'halloran to move to the Edinburgh Job when Toony takes over Scotland and Cotter exits stage left. If I remember rightly although there was some connection with Vern Cotters brother or something (enough to muddy the waters for those with muddy coloured spectacles) he was a bit of a coup at the time as an innovative up and coming coach in NZ on the fringes of breaking through to a big club. There was some analysis on Scotland's attack I read on t'internet, that was very complimentary and backed it up with video evidence. Enough to impress me , although that is a low bar admittedly.

I'm all for this idea. As long as it means Hodge is given his jotters along with Solomons.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:53 am

germain wrote:I will really welcome any annoucement. And the sooner the better.

But was it really impossible to keep Townsend two more years at Glasgow, Cotter two more years for the scotland job and to attract Rennie here? I guess it was (or it's madness).
But I'm still aggrieved to know Solomons is here for one more year.

I would be extremely comprehensive and lenient for any scottish coach promoted from the domestic competition, but I really have no more comprehension or leniency left for Solomons.

Townsend was going to leave Glasgow this year. So the SRU either had to move VC on or lose Townsend to England, France or maybe even South Africa.

My preference for Scotland would have been for Townsend to get experience elsewhere prior to taking the Scotland job but can see why they did it. VC may also have been wanting to head back t NZ to start working on a Schmidt/Cotter All Black ticket.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 pm

I see we are 8th in the league with no BPs already, any bets that wont change much by the end of the season?
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum