Embra Vs Scarlets

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Embra Vs Scarlets

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Thoughts for the team?

Solly is not one to make huge changes, even after a poor result. I dont see we have a huge amount of options. Burleigh and Hoyland if fit may well come in. Back row we have some options with Hardie and the south seas guys although not sure if they are fit yet.

I think Hardie in the pack and Burleigh in the backs will make a bit of difference, also Rambo to add a bit more carrying power. If Manu and Du Preez ar injured we are short of ball carriers and Im not sure Bradbury is ready for a full 80 yet.

Scarlets looks poor last week but if they get ball they have a fantastic back line if they click.This is probably a harder game than last week.

Still think we will win though!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Embra Vs Scarlets

Postby bert1945 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm

This is not a case of should win but a case of must win.Agree with Dolf Solly not won for change. For this game he has to make some changes. I would like to see back row of Mau, Hardie and Du Preez. Du Preez played for Heriots on Saturday came of the bench. Problem with Burleigh,Rosoles and Tofiluy all play 12. I would like to see Rambo start at hooker he offers more than Ford at present Unfortunately like all supporters I have no influence on selection.
bert1945
One cap wonder

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Team up.

Sunderland Ford Nel Toolis Gilchrist Ritchie Hardie Bradbury Fowles Weir Brown Burleigh Tofilau Allen Bryce

Subs McInally Dell Bryce McKenzie Watson SHC Kinghorn Rasolea

All thirteen forwards SQ
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Surprised to see Bryce get a shot at TH so soon.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Happy enough with the team on paper (although I’d have Hardie and Watson in the back row rather than have Ritchie and Bradbury starting together).

Doesn’t matter how good the team looks on paper though – it’s all about how it performs. And if the team performs like it did last week, the Scarlets will have a field day.

Here's hoping the lads can turn it around though.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:35 pm

We need a big performance tomorrow night and more importantly a win by any margin.

Quite like the team I think Watson is a bit unlucky he was probably the best of a bad bunch last week.

Had hoped to see DuPreez on the bench but we still have some quality replacements.

Fingers crossed for a much improved 80mins
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:43 pm

hp18 wrote:Surprised to see Bryce get a shot at TH so soon.

Berghan's injured, so it was either Bryce or Beavon getting a pro debut. Bryce at least will be up to speed on all the stuff outside the scrum.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Team's decent on paper, but the Scarlets' is probably a fair whack better. Hopefully the performance is unrecognisable from last week, and our pack is actually able to impose itself on the game.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:35 pm

How long is Manu out? Pleased to see Bradbury get a start though in his absence.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Hrmm, I can see a tough night ahead, at least DTH isn't there due to illness.

15 Liam Williams, 14 Hadleigh Parkes, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens [c], 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Luke Garrett, Peter Edwards, Tadhg Beirne, Josh Macleod, Gareth Davies, Dan Jones, Aled Thomas

We should have them in the tight five :eek:
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hrmm, I can see a tough night ahead, at least DTH isn't there due to illness.

15 Liam Williams, 14 Hadleigh Parkes, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens [c], 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Luke Garrett, Peter Edwards, Tadhg Beirne, Josh Macleod, Gareth Davies, Dan Jones, Aled Thomas

We should have them in the tight five :eek:

Mmmm! Anyone else struggling to see where exactly we might have them? Watching Hardie and Barclay going at it will be interesting.

Confidence pretty low for this one with this happy clapper!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Manu out for 4-6 weeks with rib injury
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:08 pm

I can see another evening under the cosh coming up, unless the forwards can up their game hugely. Without Manu, Du Preez and Bresler our pack looks pretty ordinary, and I doubt Bradbury and Ritchie inspire much fear in the opposition. Scarlets are fielding a solid, experienced side, and it will take a big performance to beat them. Here's hoping we can do it, but I suspect the bookies will have this one as an away win.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:34 pm

It's Ants that makes the difference. I noticed it when I watched him for the sharks after I heard we'd signed him. His first instinct is to find a breakdown and hit it as hard as he can.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 am

biffer wrote:It's Ants that makes the difference. I noticed it when I watched him for the sharks after I heard we'd signed him. His first instinct is to find a breakdown and hit it as hard as he can.

I agree. Bresler and Toolis deserve to be considered our no. 1 lock pairing until Gilco proves otherwise. He has his work cut out. Add Bresler, Mata, CDP and Dickinson to our pack and it should be a different story.

Scrum half and full back are the positions that concern me. Fowles and Bryce are our first choices in 2 key positions and we don't have much depth behind.
macdone
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum