European Challenge Cup

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: European Challenge Cup

Postby pedro52 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:22 pm

The supporters club have spoken with ER and there will be approx. 30 tickets available from Edinburgh's allocation. I am not sure of the exact number of supporters going but suspect around the 30 mark is close. Some are flying out Thurs others, including myself, are flying on Frid. Jonny Petrie will probably have the tickets on him when they fly out on Thursday - a number of you may well be on the same flight. We are in the process of arranging where to meet on the Sat and get the tickets however Jonny may pass them over to someone on the Friday. My understanding is that Timisoara are doing a promotion of the game in the city on Friday. A number of supporters going have asked about making a donation to a local charity and ER are currently speaking to Timisoara for a worthwhile recipient. If I get any further news I will post it on here.
pedro52
International

Postby selbyquin on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi All,

Quins fan in peace!

Really looking forward to our trip up to see you in a couple of weeks but a few of us were wondering what the beer situation is now in the ground?

Some seem to think it's banned and others think it's available but you can't take it to your seat.

So what better way to find out than ask the regulars themselves!

Many Thanks
selbyquin
Embra Debut

Postby SwayGatsby on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update! I saw on the ER Twitter feed that tickets were free so presumably if we don't manage to get tickets from the supporters club we'll still be fine?

Is anyone else traveling out on the 7pm Stansted flight?
SwayGatsby
Embra Debut

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:22 am

The club has confirmed that entry is free - is it still ticketed? If so I would need 3, flying across on the Friday. Do we arrange a collection point / time on Saturday?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 am

this made me laugh for some reason (from http://wikitravel.org/en/Timi%C5%9Foara_)

Stay safe[edit]
General precautions apply as with any East-Central European country. Timișoara is much safer on average than Romania as a whole - indeed Romania has much less street crime and burglary than (say) the UK.

Attacks from packs of stray dogs are now practically unheard of after a 'cull' (quite literally the drastic 'final solution') some years ago. Indeed if you have taken your dog on holiday (by means of a Pet Passport) never let it roam about in the street on its own even in villages. Locals may get away with it, but even then it is not unknown for villagers to shoot or poison what they say are stray dogs - even if they know it is their neighbours'. Taking a dog on a lead to the city centre is rarely done and you would be refused entry to all establishments and receive a cool reception even for simply walking with a dog. Indeed if your dog were to give someone a friendly nuzzle or lick at an table outside a cafe, you risk serious 'physical' consequences for yourself and dog, especially if the person's children are near. Never tie your dog up outside (say) a supermarket to shop. When you return your dog will almost certainly not be there and within a day or so it will not be anywhere, unless you believe in Canine Heaven or know which abattoir it has been taken to. Even blind travellers with guide dogs can have problems in this respect

As in all cities, keep valuables in your sight at all times or in a safety deposit box. Do not leave any visible objects hinting to valuables inside your car: backpacks, trolleys, jackets, purses, navigation devices, mobile phones, cash. There is clearly a chance (as in any country) that the car will be broken into.

Don't start fights and don't join fights. Be smart and leave. Don't let anyone harass you or allow strangers to take you to unknown places. Do not accept shady deals or gambling games done in the street or behind buildings. If a big fight breaks out in a club, leave immediately - the tactical police forces might be coming soon and they might 'pacify' everyone.

Beware of people posing as policemen, though that's usually rare. If you get stopped and it's somewhere dark, request that you go to a populated area to check the ids or inside the hotel or somewhere within range of surveillance cameras. Have only copies of your important papers on yourself and keep the originals at the hotel.

Watch out: Don't stay in HOTEL VALENTINA, situated in Str. Mehadia 5. This place is known that prostitutes catch the (preferred male single) guests of from Timișoara North Station and ask you to "assist" their guests to get there. Once arrived in the hotel, they ask to stay the night together and pay 50 € (or 200 RON) at least. If you refuse and/or ask them to leave you alone, they'll take your key and force you to pay for the taxi "home", as the hotel is far from the city centre. If you can't speak Romanian or only a little, the hotel staff will be non co-operative and and refuse even to call the police claiming that "they also can't help you".
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby dragos on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello from a fan of Romanian rugby.

Timisoara Saracens wants all supporters to know that the entrance for this match will be free, so you don't need to worry about tickets. The clubs suggests two pubs near the stadium as your meeting place: Pago or The80s.

No worries, Timisoara is a nice and very safe city (common sense rules apply of course).

I live in Bucharest so can't help with more local tips. But if any of you visits Bucharest as well and want some advice or to meet for a beer, feel free to drop me a private message.

A good news is that the match will be broadcasted live by Romanian sports TV station Digi Sport 1, so it will be available on various streaming websites.
dragos
Embra Debut

Postby chappo on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:40 pm

selbyquin wrote:Hi All,
...Some seem to think it's banned and others think it's available but you can't take it to your seat.

hi Selbyquin.....no idea who you've been speaking to but but beer is most certainly not banned and yes, you can take it to your seat (in a plastic 'glass')........the choice of beer (and the price) leaves a bit to be desired, but sure by the time you're at the ground you'll have had enough beer in the pub(s) to not care what's available in the bar/vans at the game! :D ;)
"La claque est immense!"
chappo
World Cup Star

Postby dragos on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Timsoara Saracens has named a volunteer that will be available to assist you with any problems. Any supporter travelling to Timisoara can call her:
Andra Bambu +40727308029

Andra can also reserve a dedicated section for you in the stands, if you let her know in advance.
dragos
Embra Debut

Postby chappo on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:43 pm

pedro52 wrote:...Jonny Petrie will probably have the tickets on him when they fly out on Thursday - a number of you may well be on the same flight. We are in the process of arranging where to meet on the Sat and get the tickets however Jonny may pass them over to someone on the Friday. My understanding is that Timisoara are doing a promotion of the game in the city on Friday. A number of supporters going have asked about making a donation to a local charity and ER are currently speaking to Timisoara for a worthwhile recipient. If I get any further news I will post it on here.

I'll be on the Thursday flight...if it's the same one as the players (which I guess it will be), I'll have a word with JP and see what can be arranged. Nice one on the charity idea though, especially as we're getting into the game free (and beer's only £1 a pint)... ;)
"La claque est immense!"
chappo
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:47 pm

chappo wrote:no idea who you've been speaking to

Probably someone who hasn't been to Murrayfield for a few years - alcohol was banned between 1980 and 2007.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby selbyquin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks for you answers Gents.

Looking forward to our visit!
selbyquin
Embra Debut

Postby New Gunner on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Frenchy wrote:
chappo wrote:no idea who you've been speaking to

Probably someone who hasn't been to Murrayfield for a few years - alcohol was banned between 1980 and 2007.

Doedin?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:51 pm

dragos wrote:Hello from a fan of Romanian rugby.

Timisoara Saracens wants all supporters to know that the entrance for this match will be free, so you don't need to worry about tickets. The clubs suggests two pubs near the stadium as your meeting place: Pago or The80s.

No worries, Timisoara is a nice and very safe city (common sense rules apply of course).

I live in Bucharest so can't help with more local tips. But if any of you visits Bucharest as well and want some advice or to meet for a beer, feel free to drop me a private message.

A good news is that the match will be broadcasted live by Romanian sports TV station Digi Sport 1, so it will be available on various streaming websites.

Thanks Dragos! Very much looking forward to visiting Romania for the first time. I'll have my kids with me, are they likely to be allowed in the pub before the game? Hope so 8)
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dragos on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Nobody will stop the kids from entering pubs, but they won't sell alcohol to them of course :)

On the day of the Challenge Cup match, there will also be a juniors (8-14 years old) and old boys tournament in Timisoara. Teams from Serbia and Hungary will also take part and I guess all of them will later be in the stands for the big match of the day.
dragos
Embra Debut

Postby Andra Bambu on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Andra Bambu and I represent Timisoara Saracens Rugby Club. I am the person responsible for accommodate you at the stadium and give you the information you need. For more information you can contact me on my facebook Andra Bambu, https://www.facebook.com/andracristiana or on my phone +40727308029.

Have a great evening!
Andra Bambu
Embra Debut

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum