European Challenge Cup

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: European Challenge Cup

Postby gowrie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Visser gets a good score, almost another from an intercept and Quins are up 3 tries in 20 minutes.

Despite a howler of Yarde to kick the ball to them 30m out from his line, gifting Stade a try, Quins get the BP in 36 minutes through some childlike SF tackling. Quins totally on top, smashing their runners in the tackle, stealing ball all over. SF look totally apathetic.

Not sure if I'll watch the rest. Quins up 5 tries to 1, 31-7 at Halftime, they get another score from the simplest loop round the lineout. As I said, SF look totally disinterested, slow and ineffective. The Quins games are for the top of the pool if we bring any sort of form into this.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Andra Bambu on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 pm

SMOKIE wrote:I haven't seen any mention of anyone going to the away match in Timisoara on 15 October.

I'm booked to go and, on emailing the Timisoara Saracens re tickets, have been told that the tickets are free :) in order to fill the stadium.

Hello!
My name is Andra Bambu and I represent Timisoara Saracens Rugby Club. I am the person responsible for accommodate you at the stadium and give you any information you need. You can contact me on Facebook, Andra Bambu, https://www.facebook.com/andracristiana or at the phone number +40727308029
Andra Bambu
Embra Debut

Postby Oldsalt on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Thought Viss had an outstanding game last night. He seemed to be in a very positive frame of mind and his kick chase which led to one of the tries. If Edinburgh Rugby and Quins play positively it could be a very very good game.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am

Stade France beat Timisoara 27-0 at home, managed to get the 4 try BP but were pretty poor by all reports with quite a strong team out.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Stade France beat Timisoara 27-0 at home, managed to get the 4 try BP but were pretty poor by all reports with quite a strong team out.

If we can get 5 points out the next 2 games then 5 points at home against TS that will hopefully put us in a good place if we can get at least a point at the stoop
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Refs for next two rounds

R3 home v Stade Craig Maxwell-Keys (Eng)
R4 away v Stade Dudley Philips (Ire)
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:51 pm

It'll be interesting to see what kind of side Stade put out against us, we all know the T14 is everything, they are currently lying 12th with games against 4th placed Montpellier and top of the heap Clermont either side of their fixtures against us. A win at Murrayfield would really set us up and probably leave them not giving a monkey's about the return game.

I suppose we can only control our own team etc, so I would hope we'll have a full strength team available, we are in Wales two weeks in a row before that - Dragons first then Ospreys.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Agree TH, SF do not appear to have much interest in the challenge cup so far and would not expect that to change.

However, we can't afford to drop many more league points ourselves if we want to continue to push for top6 which recent performances (Zebre abomination aside) suggest may still be possible so can’t really afford the rotation we would maybe like. Would be good to know how our injured players are progressing and if any of Nel, Dickinson (back in training with Scotland so assume he will be fit), Bresler, Sutherland, Berghan and possibly Tovey if his injury was as bad as looked, are likely to feature before Christmas, could really do with getting some of them back to give us some options up front.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh_girl on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello,

Is anyone going to Paris for the away SF game? I've just booked flights and tickets - and am very excited!
Edinburgh_girl
One cap wonder

Postby Shona on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Yep I've got flights and hotel booked. where are you sitting in the stadium?- not got tickets yet
Shona
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh_girl on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 am

Section 37- I bought the €40 tickets and that's where we were allocated. There might be an option to select your seats on the website, but my French isn't good enough to find it!
Edinburgh_girl
One cap wonder

Postby Weegie on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Now the weekend games are complete, with Edinburgh on 15 and with Timisoara Saracens to come at home which should be a 5 pointer to give 20, Edinburgh now look well placed to go through as a best runner up. The runner up spots currently look like going to pools 1, 4 and 5. Anything from the Quins game is a bonus, but Edinburgh need to win it to get a home fixture.

Pool 1
Gloucester and La Rochelle both on 15. Both have Treviso and Bayonne to come so both first and second should have 23 - 25 depending on bonus points

Pool 2
Newcastle did us a favour at the weekend. Ospreys lead on 20, Lyon second on 11, Newcastle third on 10. Ospreys have Lyon at home and Newcastle away. Ospreys will win the group. Lyon have Ospreys away, and Grenoble at home so unlikely to get more than 5 or 6 from that. Newcastle are on 10 and have Grenoble and Ospreys so will be doing well to get 6 from those.
Second place in this group looking like 16-17.

Pool 3
Brive on 14, Dragons and Ensei on 9 each.
Brive have Worcester and Dragons at home so should win both games and the group. Both Dragons and and Worcester have Ensei at home which should be 5 point games to put them on 14. However, Dragons did give Brive a kicking at Rodney parade so it is possible they might win in France to go to 18 or a max of 19. In that case the most Brive could have is 19. So the most second place is likely to get is 19.

Pool 4
Bath and Cardiff both on 13. Cardiff have Pau next, Pau seem to have given up so it should be 5 points to go to 18. Bath have Bristol next in Bristol, but Bath should still win to go to 17. Then Bath have Pau at home to go to 22, and Cardiff have Bristol at home to go to 22, unless Bristol can step up. So another group with a high number of points of circa 22 in second place.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Nice analysis weegie, cheers. So basically the BP at quins would be meaningless, the only thing that makes a difference would be beating them at the stoop.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum