EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

Postby Rasho on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:00 am

Shocking first half and Leinster were miles better and found gaping holes in our defence. Howver, for once we came out after half-time with purpose... and with a man down.

As Weegie noted, we left a lot of tries on the pitch last night... Brown on left touchline, Bryce on right touchline, Kinghorn fumble, not finishing after Kinghorn break, few knock-ons near the line, etc. Can't remember the last time I'd be able to say that. Execution needs to be better, but we created chances against a quality team in the first game the conditions were decent. Glimmers of progress.

Clearly, need to be consistent and clinical... that needs to happen very fast. We've bought in a number of backs but should have happened a year or so ago, then you learn systems as a team rather than sorting forwards then looking at backs and continually being in transition. I'll give them a few more games to bed in before judging progress.

On a separate note, nice touch with presentation for Nel after the match. Good to see the team spirt.
Rasho
Established pro

Postby The Chiel on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:49 am

In and amongst some encouraging, and some downright dreadful stuff already commented on was the fact that the basic skill of passing the ball fell way below professional standards a lot of the time. Horrible to watch, and undermined what seemed to be a genuine desire to move the ball about the pitch. The best backs in the world can't play if they have to stop, go back or jump to catch the ball.

Barnes Wallis would have enjoyed the game.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Jockybadger wrote:The answer to Edinburgh's back problems - Pete Horne, Huw Jones, Robbie Robinson, Ali Price would've all enhanced the squad greatly. Concerned that there appears to have been several NSQ squad fillers/journeymen recruited when the £ could've been better spent on say Jones & Price.

No, no, no (nothing against you, but I'm angry against the way this team is coached). Townsend, Anscombe, Phil Smith, Lineen would have all enhanced the squad greatly.
Another player, another squad won't change anything.

Dodson recruited Neil Back, and it was a major failure. Then he recruited Solomons, and it's still a failure (not as bad as Back's failure, though...). Dodson needs not to make another mistake when he picks our next coach.

I'm happy that Price and Horne are at Glasgow. They would be absolutly wasted here, as were many other players during those years (In fairness, I must say that we do not waste props. That is true. And that is the only credit I can give to the coaching staff).
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:27 pm

I see Solomons now blames defensive mistakes for the loss last night! Surprise, surprise - no sh1t Sherlock! Surely it is his and his coaches responsibility to ensure we have the proper defensive set up? I don’t really understand how he can continue to blame everyone else apart from himself for our teams poor performances and the obvious lack of preparation. Leinster played how most folk on here predicted and there were no surprises. In contrast to our guys they looked well coached and well organised and the players coming on all seemed to know their jobs and slotted in. He needs to go before Christmas before things completely fall apart.

We looked very weak last night and Leinster scored at will in the first half and once the got the 5 points in the bag they basically closed up shop, rested some players and gave some youngsters a go. Yes we looked better in the 2nd half but by that time Leinster were already on the bus home having got what they wanted, and when we did get close they just trotted up field, put us under pressure and got gifted another try. We lack any cutting edge in the backs and merely continue to pass the ball latterly until we run out of pitch. Defensively we conceded a lot of ground to Leinster and were very slow to reset the defensive line, all Leinster had to do was wait until they had the numbers, a mismatch or a mistake i.e. Gilchrist jumping out the line to create the gap!

We really do look very amateurish in our tactics and gameplan compared with Leinster, which is surprising when you consider how many of our guys play well at international level.

PS New guy Fihaki showed why he got little game time at Sale, SHC still can’t pass or kick a ball under pressure and Allen looks every inch a winger and never a 13!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Very frustrating night last night. First five minutes or so looked like a different team from what we've watched the last few years. The rest of the first half was shocking though. Then in the second half, a lot of good stuff, but failures in some basic skills - passing, line outs - kept taking momentum away. We got ourselves into a position where we had been the better side for 30 minutes and had five minutes to score again for a bonus point win. But we didn't take the opportunity.

Don't know what has happened to SHC. His service is dreadful, first pass last night to the mans ankles, third pass up above the head. Much the same from there on. And his decision to kick towards the end was a poor decision, badly executed, and cost us fifty yards - which ended our chances of scoring, led to their final try and lost us the bonus point. Thought Fowles was substantially better, seems to work well with Weir.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:58 pm

Germain,

I agree 100% that the main problem at Edinburgh is the coaching, the guys I mention would enhance the squad but only under a new coaching regime.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Munster then Connacht away. 1 From 5 anyone?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:19 pm

germain wrote:
Jockybadger wrote:The answer to Edinburgh's back problems - Pete Horne, Huw Jones, Robbie Robinson, Ali Price would've all enhanced the squad greatly. Concerned that there appears to have been several NSQ squad fillers/journeymen recruited when the £ could've been better spent on say Jones & Price.

No, no, no (nothing against you, but I'm angry against the way this team is coached). Townsend, Anscombe, Phil Smith, Lineen would have all enhanced the squad greatly.
Another player, another squad won't change anything.

Dodson recruited Neil Back, and it was a major failure. Then he recruited Solomons, and it's still a failure (not as bad as Back's failure, though...). Dodson needs not to make another mistake when he picks our next coach.

I'm happy that Price and Horne are at Glasgow. They would be absolutly wasted here, as were many other players during those years (In fairness, I must say that we do not waste props. That is true. And that is the only credit I can give to the coaching staff).

Of course you are happy you are a glasgow fan.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Jockybadger wrote:Germain,

I agree 100% that the main problem at Edinburgh is the coaching, the guys I mention would enhance the squad but only under a new coaching regime.

I misunderstood your words. So, I agree with you too! :D

GaryIPA wrote:Of course you are happy you are a glasgow fan.

Am I? Because I'm criticising Solomons? If that is the case, I wish us all here to be Glasgow supporters! :lol:

My point was just to say, for example, that Kennedy, under Townsend's guidance, was a wonderful player. Since he's back under Edinburgh's coaches guidance, he's poor. Three years of awful rugby, and he is now almost a lost player (or rather an ex promising player). Is saying that betray me as a glasgow supporter?
No, it's just a terrible assessment about the quality of the coaching at Edinburgh, and of the terrible consequences of it: half of the professionnal and talented scottish players are not correctly developped.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Cant disagree Germain, lack of quality of coaching is hidden in plain sight yet still some deny it and insist Solomons has ‘made progress’. He has ruined lots of promising careers in 4 years or at the very least prevented some guys progress as the could/should have.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:29 pm

SHC being the best example of a player "lost"
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:32 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Munster then Connacht away. 1 From 5 anyone?

I said to my mates at the start of the season that if we had 9 points from the first five games I'd be happy. It'll be tough to get that, but Munster are currently losing to the Dragons and Connacht are 22-10 down against Zebre. So regardless of what the final results are, both teams have their weaknesses.

Edit - the Connacht game has been called off for torrential rain. They may have dodged a bullet, but my point still stands.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Two wins from those games is completely achievable playing like we did in the second half, and we can't afford to lose games at home against our competition for top 6 spots.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 pm

gowrie wrote:Two wins from those games is completely achievable playing like we did in the second half, and we can't afford to lose games at home against our competition for top 6 spots.

Hello. Is there anyone there?. How many away games have we won over the last few seasons and you want to win 2 in a row.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Jockybadger wrote:SHC being the best example of a player "lost"

What on earth happened to him? Pre world cup he was one of the next big things in Scottish rugby and the Pro12, his introduction almost won the Six Nations match against Wales, he looked like a Laidlaw/Pyrgos hybrid.

For the last year his passing has been terrible, his kicking has been worse, his decision making is in-explainable. He doesn't even look like a club rugby player. I think we need to send him to the BT Premiership for a while, Fowles simply has to play.

Agree on Fihaki, what an odd signing, hopefully he isn't played ahead of Bradbury or Ritchie purely because he's here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum