EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

Postby biffer on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Good job we were not playing Wasps for 80 minutes this weekend. They were outstanding both in the forwards and backs, 10 try fest!

They were good yes, but let's not underestimate how pish Bristol were.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:47 pm

ER have tweeted Watsons stats from Friday, wish there was 14 others with similar. Surely in the running for the autumn test squad?

STATS | Hamish Watson v Leinster

65 Metres gained
11 Carries
17 Tackles made
7 Defenders beaten
1 Try
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:ER have tweeted Watsons stats from Friday, wish there was 14 others with similar. Surely in the running for the autumn test squad?

STATS | Hamish Watson v Leinster

65 Metres gained
11 Carries
17 Tackles made
7 Defenders beaten
1 Try

He's usually in the squad, but I think Hardie will keep the 7 shirt so maybe an opinion at 6 instead of Barclay?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:31 pm

I agree if he keeps that up he has to be close. I would think he would be the better option at 7 with Hardie at 6. A lot will depend on the current injury issues. Although a long way out if the AIs were this weekend we would be without, Strauss, Denton, Ashe, Wilson with Hardie and Du Preez doubtful. So there could be plenty of opportunity.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:21 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree if he keeps that up he has to be close. I would think he would be the better option at 7 with Hardie at 6. A lot will depend on the current injury issues. Although a long way out if the AIs were this weekend we would be without, Strauss, Denton, Ashe, Wilson with Hardie and Du Preez doubtful. So there could be plenty of opportunity.

Covering old ground i know but...imagine how many caps McInally would have for Scotland and Edinburgh now looking at the back row competition he has faced.

Watson and Toolis have been unlucky to have been overlooked as much as they have. 2 of our best players week in week out.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 am

Difficult to tell, back row traditionally is one of our strongest areas. I dont think he would have had as many caps as he has had if he had stayed. He would have had more Edinburgh games almost certainly. I was surprised both he and Ford stayed here, I woudl have thought he would have moved to get more game time. For someone to be more driven to change position to further their career then be happy to be no2 at the club is a little strange.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Difficult to tell, back row traditionally is one of our strongest areas. I dont think he would have had as many caps as he has had if he had stayed. He would have had more Edinburgh games almost certainly. I was surprised both he and Ford stayed here, I woudl have thought he would have moved to get more game time. For someone to be more driven to change position to further their career then be happy to be no2 at the club is a little strange.

Who's to say he's happy being number two? Also would a top level club have taken him at hooker, I would think that Fordy's time is coming to an end but he has actually played good stuff to start the season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:33 pm

I agree Ford is worth his place. Im sure someone would have wanted McInally, not a Sarries or Wasps but Bristol or Sale level Im sure he would be wanted.

I just think he took a huge risk which has paid off to a certain extent and now he has sat back. Im sure he isnt happy to be 2nd choice but it is clear he is and I would have thought he would have tried to do something about it. Solly doesnt do rotation so he is not going to get much game time, captain or not, if he has ambition to be Scotland No1 No2 then he needs to play.

Ford has just signed a 3 year contract so he is going nowhere fast. I like Rambo and am happy for him to stay at Edinburgh but if he was being selfish and driven then....
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:51 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree Ford is worth his place. Im sure someone would have wanted McInally, not a Sarries or Wasps but Bristol or Sale level Im sure he would be wanted.

I just think he took a huge risk which has paid off to a certain extent and now he has sat back. Im sure he isnt happy to be 2nd choice but it is clear he is and I would have thought he would have tried to do something about it. Solly doesnt do rotation so he is not going to get much game time, captain or not, if he has ambition to be Scotland No1 No2 then he needs to play.

Ford has just signed a 3 year contract so he is going nowhere fast. I like Rambo and am happy for him to stay at Edinburgh but if he was being selfish and driven then....

There are plenty times we have had games that have been must win when he has been sitting on the bench while Ritchie or a half fit Manu have played. If you were being 100% practical he would be in the team. Perhaps you could argue he has an outside chance of getting picked for the Lions at hooker (if the top 5 Welsh hookers get injured) but not in the back row.

There is also the impact on George Turner to think about. He is potentially a great player and is ready to play.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:11 am

I think 25 minutes is more than a "lapse" it is more than quarter of a match!

“That lapse in concentration from about ten minutes until maybe the 35th or something led to them getting the upper hand.

“We did get our concentration back for the second half and had more of the ball and attacked more.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4235640
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:24 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree Ford is worth his place. Im sure someone would have wanted McInally, not a Sarries or Wasps but Bristol or Sale level Im sure he would be wanted.

Would he have went to the likes of Sale and Bristol as 1st choice? Maybe Newcastle but LawrenceBryce that.

He is in a situation where he is still early enough in his development as a hooker (26 and 3rd full season at hooker?), will play with as good a front row he will get anywhere, be managed effectively if need be and continue to develop his hooking basics* along side Ford who knows what it's like to convert from BR and go through line out wobbles better than before.

Ford may have signed a 3 year contract but at 32 entering his 13th year as a professional rugby player it is not unrealistic to think once Rambo is absolutely solid at the basics he can and will overtake him as the regular starter probably next season.

*by basics I really mean throwing. Stevie Scott does not want his hookers hooking.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:52 am

BigD163 wrote:

Would he have went to the likes of Sale and Bristol as 1st choice? Maybe Newcastle but LawrenceBryce that.

He is in a situation where he is still early enough in his development as a hooker (26 and 3rd full season at hooker?), will play with as good a front row he will get anywhere, be managed effectively if need be and continue to develop his hooking basics* along side Ford who knows what it's like to convert from BR and go through line out wobbles better than before.

Ford may have signed a 3 year contract but at 32 entering his 13th year as a professional rugby player it is not unrealistic to think once Rambo is absolutely solid at the basics he can and will overtake him as the regular starter probably next season.

*by basics I really mean throwing. Stevie Scott does not want his hookers hooking.

Sale are a good team and their hooker last year was in the England team, Newcastle are better than Bristol who are getting a weekly hammering ... in fact Andy Robinson might be free soon ...

I do agree that it was a good swap for Rambo and next year expect him to be starter.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Enjoyed seeing Leinster take Northampton apart tonight. They really do look a good side, and have some talented young players coming through. Saints were made to look woeful, and Hartley showed why he shouldn't be considered for the Lion's. After a dismal showing by Pro12 sides last year, things are looking better this time around.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:20 am

Can't make the match.Anyone know if its possible to stream FR4 in the UK as they are showing the game?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum