EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: EDINBURGH V LEINSTER

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
gowrie wrote:Two wins from those games is completely achievable playing like we did in the second half, and we can't afford to lose games at home against our competition for top 6 spots.

Hello. Is there anyone there?. How many away games have we won over the last few seasons and you want to win 2 in a row.

Said we can do it, not that we will.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Also I have to - again - stress how annoyed I was to see Kinghorn pencilled in for a club team this weekend. Either he is in the Edinburgh squad and he doesn't play Prem rugby or he isn't in the Edinburgh squad and he does.

I think he has to start 15, he's as good an attacking talent as we've had in a long while, I think he has shown that he can play professionally so keep him in the team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 pm

gowrie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
gowrie wrote:Two wins from those games is completely achievable playing like we did in the second half, and we can't afford to lose games at home against our competition for top 6 spots.

Hello. Is there anyone there?. How many away games have we won over the last few seasons and you want to win 2 in a row.

Said we can do it, not that we will.

Ok, we can win the league too then. Remember where you heard it first
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 am

Jockybadger wrote:SHC being the best example of a player "lost"

If Solomons is getting the blame for SHC's loss of form, he has to also get the credit for SHC's fantastic form in the first place. Also Hoyland, Ritchie, Bradbury, Watson, Sutherland etc.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:34 am

It's typical that the coaches get lambasted after a loss, and I'm not going to argue that they're getting everything right. But a lot of our problems on Friday were down to poor passing and handling, and the fault for that has to be with the players. Given the weather conditions there was no excuse for the number of misplaced passes and guddled catches.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:18 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Also I have to - again - stress how annoyed I was to see Kinghorn pencilled in for a club team this weekend. Either he is in the Edinburgh squad and he doesn't play Prem rugby or he isn't in the Edinburgh squad and he does.

I think he has to start 15, he's as good an attacking talent as we've had in a long while, I think he has shown that he can play professionally so keep him in the team.

I dont think there is anything wrong with him playing club rugby. he is not going to be in the team every week and at his age I would rather he was playing and learning more about the game than sitting in the stand or the gym.

All players are drafted to club sides, some play more than others. I agree he should start next week but I also think Bryce deserved the chance to stake a claim. I have not been impressed with Bryce so far, he actually looked better on the wing as his confidence under the high ball seems to have gone. Hopefully he can get it back. Or he may be worth a look at 13 where he can hit the line more often, he undoubtedly has talent but at 25 he hasnt had much of a chance to play regularly.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:24 am

On SHC, re-watching on TV (I am a glutton for punishment, but sometimes you see things on TV not evident at the ground) there was an instance where he broke near the Leinster line then passed. There were clear gaps that he may or may not have made, but he had a decent chance of scoring if he'd gone himself. Instead he passed to a player well covered. SHC of old would have gone for it, SHC of today seems to have lost confidence to go for these gaps.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:22 am

I was actually thinking while watching his passing wether a spell on the wing or with the 7s squad would do him a lot of good. He could be a very good winger in the shane williams mould.

Lee Jones got his mojo back by laying for the 7s and getting a chance to enjoy his rugby, it may not be a bad idea with Sam.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:48 pm

Frenchy wrote:
Jockybadger wrote:SHC being the best example of a player "lost"

If Solomons is getting the blame for SHC's loss of form, he has to also get the credit for SHC's fantastic form in the first place. Also Hoyland, Ritchie, Bradbury, Watson, Sutherland etc.

Everything is not Solomons'fault, but I don't really agree.
Many talented players arise here, at Edinburgh. They show us what they are capable of, during six month, one year, one and half year. And then, they stagnate or regress. None of them really flourish. That is due to the awful rugby played here, and to Solomons. Let Kinghorn/Ritchie/Bradbury/Toolis/Hoyland under Solomons during two more years, and they will become ex talented players.

I have to say this is not true for front row players (I'm fair, am I not?). And Watson is an exception. He's unbelievable :lol:
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I dont think there is anything wrong with him playing club rugby. he is not going to be in the team every week and at his age I would rather he was playing and learning more about the game than sitting in the stand or the gym.

All players are drafted to club sides, some play more than others. I agree he should start next week but I also think Bryce deserved the chance to stake a claim. I have not been impressed with Bryce so far, he actually looked better on the wing as his confidence under the high ball seems to have gone. Hopefully he can get it back. Or he may be worth a look at 13 where he can hit the line more often, he undoubtedly has talent but at 25 he hasnt had much of a chance to play regularly.

I agree that all young players not picked for the matchday 23 should play BT Premiership stuff. However, Kinghorn was on the bench for Edinburgh on Friday night only for him to be pencilled in for the Watsonians bench on Saturday is pointless imo. Lets everyone know Solomons isn't interested in bringing him from the bench. Anyway Kinghorn should start, Glenn Bryce isn't up to much.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Or lets everyone know that Solly wants him playing games......

I dont have a problem with it. It is not a secret Solly doesnt use his bench every time, so giving Kinghorn every chance of getting some sort of game time. Even if he played 30 mins there is still a good chance he could do the same for Watsons.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 am

I think SH-C's development was hurt by basically being a water carrier with Scotland for so long last season where he got so little game time. At 22/23 he needs to be playing regularly, whether for Edinburgh or if in poor form whatever pro side he is aligned to.

Hard to judge the 2nd half on Friday, some good stuff but did Leinster take their foot of the throat a little?

Kinghorn, Watson and Bradbury encouraging, CdP back all positives but a lot of frustrating things too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:24 am

Thought we started brightly enough in the first few minutes with a lovely kick through from Burleigh for Allen to finish well again.

Then the defence just goes to SteveWalsh, I don’t get how we can defend so well one week and then so poorly the following one. I don’t even think Leinster had to work very hard for many of their tries, the 7 wandered through a massive whole around the 22 and over the line virtually unchallenged. Our try aside the first half was just unacceptably pish bordering unprofessional. It is a joint responsibility between coaches and players to be prepared and then to go out and perform.

Second half I believe we had in excess of 80% possession and territory and a completely different performance from the same group of players. Can argue whether Leinster dropped off or we just did not allow them to play either way we managed to get ourselves the opportunity to actually win the match but then for the last few minutes we decide to deviate from what had been working all half and end up losing another try and the chance of taking anything from the game.

Hugely frustrating, on one hand we scored three tries against one of the better teams in the league and even had the opportunity to win the match if we could have got the BP try which we created enough chances to do, but we ultimately came away with nothing form a home match which is not a top 6 result.

We need to stop these 40min shockers that we have too often and start performing for 80 mins week in week out that is the responsibility of both players and coaches.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:34 am

The Feral Goat wrote:We need to stop these 40min shockers that we have too often and start performing for 80 mins week in week out that is the responsibility of both players and coaches.

Spot on. This was a massive problem for us in the 2nd half of last season, only playing for 40 minutes. The only thing that kept it interesting for us was not knowing which half of the game we would capitulate in!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 am

Good job we were not playing Wasps for 80 minutes this weekend. They were outstanding both in the forwards and backs, 10 try fest!
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum