Connacht v. Edinburgh 30.9.2016 @7:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Connacht v. Edinburgh 30.9.2016 @7:35

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Huh. Got to the try line without knocking on.

That was glorious from Bryce!

I was just thinking what a pointless signing, he's showed nothing...
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Defence is still shoddy though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Huh. Got to the try line without knocking on.

That was glorious from Bryce!

I was just thinking what a pointless signing, he's showed nothing...

I was also thinking that. But that was very nice.

What did the commentator just say. 0 tries in three games and now 5 today? :eek: :eek:
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:24 pm

At the very least we need to drop Bryce and have Kinghorn starting at 15 next week
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 pm

stef.s wrote:At the very least we need to drop Bryce and have Kinghorn starting at 15 next week

I like to see Solly's legacy of giving him a one minute appearance lives on.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 pm

stef.s wrote:At the very least we need to drop Bryce and have Kinghorn starting at 15 next week

To be fair to Solly, he gave him a fair bit of gametime last season, and with that he got better and better.

Then he got dropped when we signed Bryce, as if to justify the spend.
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:37 pm

doedin wrote:Lost the connection but somehow I dont feel I should be complaining?

I'm sure you will find a way! :lol: :lol:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:39 pm

Tovey was good, Toolis' lineout work was excellent.

Not much more in the way of positives, too many slipped tackles, dropped balls in contact, basics.

But, tomorrow is another day and all that..
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:45 pm

stef.s wrote:

To be fair to Solly, he gave him a fair bit of gametime last season, and with that he got better and better.

Then he got dropped when we signed Bryce, as if to justify the spend.

Bit of revisionism there.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:08 pm

doedin wrote:Real shame about Weir who I thought was slowly beginning to get his feet under the table and was controlling our back line. Tovey is back in the reckoning but hasn’t had a game since he came back so it might be too soon? However needs must. He is however more limited, not so good in defence and tends to sit deep and play a kicking game. If he is in the team he will be targeted by Connacht back row.

This game will be a real test of Solomons squad management and ability to get a team onto the pitch that can do a job for us. He had obviously decided the Munster game was not worth pursuing so fielded a weakened team on the basis that we had more chance to win this match, well now he better deliver!

Arguably Connacht are stronger in the front row/front 5 than Munster so it could be a real battle. If Nel is not back then we are screwed. Otherwise they will play their usual well organised and structured game and will try and play a possession game going though multiple phases and try to stretch our defence from side to side. We will need to be well organised in defence through the phases and try and stay strong across the pitch. Looks like it might well be a war of attrition up front?

Connacht will be targeting a first win and a win BP as well. We will do well to get a LBP from this. Bookies suggest it will be a tighter game than I suggest with only one score in it. We can but hope!

Called it!

TBF to the squad the mid week disruption would have done them no favours at all but from what I saw of the game there is a lot of work needed next week. We still look a collection of individuals completely lacking in confidence and lacking a style of play that they all buy into and work towards. There is no cohesion and no confidence that they are going to dominate a team and deserve a win. They looked more worried about limiting the loss than winning the game. A hangover from Solomons? Perhaps Hodge can generate some confidence and resilience next week?

Not a good start to the season - down to 10th, no BPs, a deficit of 47 points against and at the moment the highest points conceded in the league. Surely we can only go in one direction from here? Traviso at home next week must be a chance to get a result, some confidence and then kick on from there!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Dissapointing :roll: way too many school boy errors from senior players who need to step up to the mark but didn't. It's going to be a work in progress season......again.
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:58 pm

I think we have to write off the first part of this season and start again. Lets start with the next game, post Solomons and see where we get to! Lets treat this game as the end of a miserable Solomon's era and see where we get to from now on with the squad we have. We can’t get any worse result wise so hopefully the changes behind the scene will make a difference.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:47 am

Agree Doedin, clean skate, try to build a siege mentality and empower the players to get us out of it. Hodge is coaching for his job long term and so are the players, many of them won't get a contract elsewhere so they need to make this work. Todo that there needs to be change though, they need to rip up the Solly play book and start afresh. Prove they are as good as they should be, on paper I think our squad is capable of top6.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum