Solomons goooooooone

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Solomons goooooooone

Postby hp18 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Hodge takes the reins.
hp18
World Cup Star

Re: Solomons goooooooone

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:57 pm

SRU tweet is source more to follow

Not sure Hodge is the answer but it is maybe the first step in moving forward
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Wasn't expecting that so soon.

Hodge has the post in an acting capacity
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Not sure aboutHodge but had to happen.

Unfortunately Hidge is hamstrung with a battered squad to kick thing s off
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:10 pm

zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Whilst Duncan Hodge is an extremely nice chap I trust this is very short term-ie. not for the rest of the season.
Equally I hope the SRU haven't paid c.200k to pay off the remainder of Solomons' contract? I don't suppose we shall ever know but this is money that the Edinburgh/SRU budget can ill afford.,
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Hodge appointed Acting Head Coach as Solomons steps down

28/09/16 Posted in Edinburgh Rugby

Scottish Rugby can confirm Alan Solomons has today decided to step down as Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach.

Duncan Hodge [right] has been appointed to take on the role of Acting Head Coach with Stevie Scott and Peter Wilkins remaining in their current roles.

Scottish Rugby Chief Executive, Mark Dodson, said: “Alan came in as Head Coach at a difficult time in Edinburgh Rugby’s history and helped to stabilise and strengthen the club.

"He achieved some notable successes including leading the first Scottish team to a European Final of the Challenge Cup in 2015 and back to back 1872 Scottish Cup victories over Glasgow Warriors.

Duncan brings his recent coaching experience from the Scotland national team as well as his long playing career with Edinburgh into the role and he will receive our full support to keep moving the club forward.

- - Scottish Rugby Chief Executive Mark Dodson

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Alan for his significant contribution to the Edinburgh club and I wish him well for the future.”

Alan Solomons said: “I have decided to step down. I understand Scottish Rugby have appointed Duncan Hodge as the new Acting Head Coach and I wish him well.

I have greatly enjoyed working with the players and coaches and feel I have helped to put the club on a much stronger footing over the past three years and am leaving it in a better place than when I arrived.”

- - Alan Solomons

Duncan Hodge returned to Edinburgh Rugby as an Assistant Coach in November 2015 after working with Scotland national team coaching group full time since 2012, culminating with the 2015 Rugby World Cup. He played 150 times for Edinburgh over 11 seasons.

The promotion to Acting Head Coach now provides an opportunity to stake his claim for the role on a permanent basis in the Guinness PRO12 and European Challenge Cup.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Very interesting sentence at the end of the article:

"The promotion to Acting Head Coach now provides an opportunity to stake his claim for the role on a permanent basis in the Guinness PRO12 and European Challenge Cup."

Solomons did an important job over the last few years, cheers Alan.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:23 pm

I'm totally confused by this, unless it's linked to the same thing that got Jake White to leave Montpellier.

Thanks for your time Alan, time to move on.

Who's realistically in the running for it besides Hodge? Murray at Glasgow? Any proven Kiwi coaches knocking about that we could tempt away?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Credit to AS for a few reasons; he did do some good work, he tried his best and now has stepped aside rather just ride out a contract to the end.

I'd prefer a backs/attack related coach. I don't see Hodge being the answer. I do wonder whether the SRU will pull the trigger on promoting Murray to HC from assistant to show the career pathway from domestic level coaches.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:51 pm

The fact the SRU have said now Hodge has the chance to stake a claim shows they didn't have anyone to replace Solly the summer gone or the summer coming. Dodson has realised he made an error giving the extension and now Hodge has the chance to take us forward which is something that did not look like it would happen under Solomons.

Anyway thanks for your service Solly and he did good work winning the 1872 twice and turning us around from Bradley. But it was time to go.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Glad he's gone, never should've been given 2016/17. The rugby has been horrible to watch. Seeing Glasgow making a decent fist of it shows that good quality watchable rugby is possible in Scotland. The club has rarely been less than shambolic and how it progresses this season is another story. There has been too little highs under Solly to have a degree of sympathy.
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:21 pm

I've seen nothing in our back play under Hodge to suggest we should be turning cartwheels of joy at his appointment as acting HC, but then I saw nothing in Scotland's back play under Townsend before he moved to Glasgow, and we all know how that particular story ended! It feels like Hodge fell into his role with Scotland and he seems to have fallen into another one almost by chance. Either way, I can't see this doing anything other than condemning our season by Xmas. A departing head coach, unproven acting head coach plus a mid season move to a new ground. What a complete clusterf*ck!

That said, it will be really interesting to see if the forthcoming games point to a team released from Solomon's straitjacket game plan. I wish Hodge every success and hope he makes a right go of it, as Toonie has done in similar circumstances before him. Eyes down for his 1st team selection!

Solomon's was right for us for the first two (or maybe three seasons) but it was patently clear he couldn't, or wouldn't adapt to facilitate the next phase in the journey when all around were playing totally different rugby (what I call bonus point rugby)! If he has gone of his own volition today, he is to be respected for that.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Frenchy wrote:Very interesting sentence at the end of the article:

"The promotion to Acting Head Coach now provides an opportunity to stake his claim for the role on a permanent basis in the Guinness PRO12 and European Challenge Cup."

Solomons did an important job over the last few years, cheers Alan.

This

What's happening about the ejits who extended his contract
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 pm

The fact the SRU have said now Hodge has the chance to stake a claim shows they didn't have anyone to replace Solly the summer gone or the summer coming

They must also have thought Hodge was not the answer at this time either.

I do wonder if the focus last season was in getting the out of contract players signed up rather than trying to find a coach, at the time of signing the extension even Solomons himself did not sound enthused by it.

While he is not the choice many wanted to see we need to give Hodge the opportunity over the coming matches to implement his style and hopefully move us forward.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum