Solomons goooooooone

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Solomons goooooooone

Postby Debaser on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:06 pm

[/quote]

Lancaster very little club pedigree bar a couple of years at Leeds 10 years ago.

His record as England coach was actually pretty poor (61% win ratio) and selections were based around favourites and uninspiring game plans. Would be a terrible appointment as HC.[/quote]

You think we are going to get a proven Club (and/or International) pedigree coming to coach us? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I didn't say that, it was one reason for not wanting Lancaster along with the fact he was pish with England. For someone of Lancaster's likely requirements (wage etc) then I would want some pedigree. He has hardly coached for years, all the England hands on stuff was done by the other coaches.

I hardly think it is unrealistic to get a head coach who has at least some recent experience club rugby even if it is as an assistant coach. Why would we want someone who was a below average club coach and a poor excuse of an international coach? Especially one who has a history of poor selection and a p1ss poor game plan? We've just had a poor selector and poor game planner for the last 3 years.

I would take Scots who have been good club coaches at the domestic level; Kenny Murray, Smith etc way before Lancaster.

If it got desperate I'd even be going to the likes of English premiership assistant coaches like Sanderson or Hepher before even considering an application from Lancaster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dean Ryan linked with the job either. Not that I think that would be an inspiring or pleasing option.[/quote]

I know that Lancaster had his flaws but I thought England played some good rugby under his watch and I suppose I was harking back to the Andy Robinson appointment when everybody thought he was gash and he was great for Edinburgh.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Jockybadger wrote:Biffer & HP

I watched Hutton for Edinburgh the one & twice for Hawick & he was / is thrice (Frankie Howerd) the player Godman was / is.

As i previously stated there's more to "it" than meets the eye...........I think

He was exceptional in his debut. But if he was such a good player why was one Edinburgh appearance his only taste of pro rugby? Why did every other professional team show no interest?

As i previously stated there's more to "it" than meets the eye...........I think
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby crabbie on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Jockybadger wrote:

I watched Hutton for Edinburgh the one & twice for Hawick & he was / is thrice (Frankie Howerd) the player Godman was / is.

He was exceptional in his debut. But if he was such a good player why was one Edinburgh appearance his only taste of pro rugby? Why did every other professional team show no interest?

Too many ' Blairs ' .
one with too much influence me thinks.
crabbie
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Does that Blair have influence on every other professional club that decided Hutton wasn't good enough as well?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:48 am

Jockybadger wrote:

There's two ways to take that. Either you're saying theres massive conspiracy against him which encompasses every pro club in Britain or there's a bad or unprofessional attitude which means he's never going to make it. Alternatively he wasn't good enough.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:14 am

Morning Biffer,

As much as i like a good conspiracy theory its likely more to do with Mr Hutton himself, you don't play like that against British Lions & never get an opportunity again without "something" being no right.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am

interesting interview with Visser in hootsmon this morning

“Everyone seems to share the same opinion,” says Visser. “Solly did a great job coming in and laying some defensive foundations. He put a real defensive style of playing at the club which we were not renowned for.

“So that was a real bonus because that was something that we were extremely bad at, but the next step is obviously to become a good team and compete with anyone in the league and to do that you need to have a good attacking game and he never instilled that at Edinburgh all the time I was there.

“Hodgey [Duncan Hodge] was probably brought in to do something like that but he was probably hamstrung because Solly was still head coach so it was going to be old-school style of play. It will be really interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years now that Hodgey has taken over.”
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 pm

Seems a fair summary.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:40 pm

The style of play is not the biggest matter.
If we play a 10 men game and that we are in the top 4, I'm fine with that. But we are not. We were playing boring rugby and obtained bad results.
Solomons achieved a 8th place as best result. Solomons + Hodge achieved a 9th place. What will Hodge be able to achieve, when head coach? I don't know, but I'm not very optimistic.
But as Visser said, he is there for two years...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Not necessarily, i would think if the style and results dont change then he will have the same fate as Solly. No reason to think otherwise. No coach or player is gauranteed to see out their contract if they are not performing.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Jockybadger wrote:Morning Biffer,

As much as i like a good conspiracy theory its likely more to do with Mr Hutton himself, you don't play like that against British Lions & never get an opportunity again without "something" being no right.

He played against Cardiff. Not the British Lions. Jamie Roberts played for Cambridge uni against Oxford uni and lost the game. Oxford did not beat British Lions - they beat Cambridge. You're also being incredibly ironic - biffer has said two logical arguments - you're theorising and saying he's the one with the tinfoil hat.

Hutton was not good for pro rugby. That is why he has played one pro rugby match. No club - not only Edinburgh - did not want him. Simple.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:34 pm

It can be relatively easy to make a good impression early on. THe opposition are not looking for the new guy to do stuff and dont know how he plays.

Harry Leonard took us to the ERC semi, then promtly was let go. Nothing wierd in that he wasnt good enough. Arguably Jamie Farndale the same, he has been the coming man for 5 years and hasnt quite made it.

Atitude could have a lot do with it. Although I dont know anything about Hutton in that respect so not fair to speculate.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Friday Night Lights,

I didn't say THE British Lions I said British Lions, which Cardiff had 6 off in their match day squad.

However re Hutton you boys are likely to be near the truth (but I still think its a wee bit "funny") :?
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Jockybadger wrote:Friday Night Lights,

I didn't say THE British Lions I said British Lions, which Cardiff had 6 off in their match day squad.

However re Hutton you boys are likely to be near the truth (but I still think its a wee bit "funny") :?

If Edinburgh had released Hutton and he went on to have a great career elsewhere than it might be there was some funny business. But Hutton did not. No other club wanted him. Not one. He also didn't have a gliterring club career for Hawick. He played some 7s for Scotland so the SRU clearly weren't against him. He just wasn't good enough for pro rugby.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:40 am

Debaser wrote:I know that Lancaster had his flaws but I thought England played some good rugby under his watch and I suppose I was harking back to the Andy Robinson appointment when everybody thought he was gash and he was great for Edinburgh.

If he was to be brought in the only way I could get on board was if it was in a Performance director type position with a separate head coach. All his strengths are the off the field stuff (culture, setting high standards, prep etc.) he even said himself he wasn't doing much coaching at all by the end of his England tenure.

I suppose the fact that Jones has done significantly better already with pretty much the same talent pool available makes him look worse than he may have been. But England IMO were definitely hamstrung by his selections and gameplans.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum