Hodge out

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Hodge out

Postby Weegie on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:13 pm

After the first couple of games I said that I think Hodge should get a chance, and that remains the case.

He is not perfect by any means, and there are clear flaws. However, one thing that I have learned from a long career in business is that if you have an internal candidate who ticks most of the boxes, they are likely to do better long term than the expert brought in from outside who seems to tick them all. Of course, often the external recruit is needed because ther eis no-one internal who can step up, but many, many times the internal person can grow into the role, and will take no more time to do so than the external recruit will take to familiarise themselves with the environment they have come into. An internal recruit also has the advantage that disruption is minimised.

So unless there is some clear indication that Hodge is either incapable of learning to fill the gaps in his knowledge, or too arrogant to acknowledge them and bring in someone who does, then I say go with him and see where it takes.

As a long term Edinburgh supporter I'd absolutely love it if Edinburgh prospered with a head coach who is 'one of us'.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Re: Hodge out

Postby bignose on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

biffer wrote:I know where you're coming from, but feel I have to point out that the second try on Friday as thirteen phases in and around their 22, stretching them all the way across the pitch and back twice before creating the space and mismatch which made the try.

When we ship the ball across the pitch, though, it's just "straight hands". There's no lines being run by dummy runners that will hold the defence to create the space. We've complained for long enough that our backs don't seem to know even the most basic of moves and I don't see any change in that (nor do I know how culpable Hodge is/was in that deficit). Yes, we eventually created space but it was through attrition rather than creativity. We tried the same things against Zebre and their discipline held for longer than ours on each occasion.

I really hope that we do develop some cutting edge because that will be pretty much the complete package.
bignose
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum