Edinburgh v Treviso, Fri 7th Oct 7:35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso, Fri 7th Oct 7:35pm

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:37 am

Im not sure I would be brave enough to try and bully Harley!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 am

He is a vastly underrated player for the Weegies and is one of these guys who just keeps going and going disrupting the oppo. I think we need to look at the front 5 Scotland can put out - we are blessed with Gray Jnr who is just a beast and carries non stop in every game and does the work of two players. Gray Snr also looks to have upped his workload in the breakdown due to his time in France. Both these guys are mobile and good in the line out and give us a bit more freedom in who we pick in the back row. Without them we would need another big ball carrier at 6 but given the Grays in place I think we can pick a more mobile back row but we do need a spoiler, someone to slow the oppo ball down at the breakdown and be a general nuisance, Harley does that very well. It also depends on the oppo and if we are facing a big ball carrying pack who are going to play a tight game then I would have him in my team. If we are playing oppo who are going to fling it around a bit more then he is probably not fast enough around the park and I would go for the likes of Bradbury, Wilson or Barclay at 6.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:32 pm

If that is the route we are going down, I would like to see Hardie and Watson in the same back row.

Rather bizarrely I agree with much of the rest!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:17 pm

doedin wrote:He is a vastly underrated player for the Weegies and is one of these guys who just keeps going and going disrupting the oppo. I think we need to look at the front 5 Scotland can put out - we are blessed with Gray Jnr who is just a beast and carries non stop in every game and does the work of two players. Gray Snr also looks to have upped his workload in the breakdown due to his time in France. Both these guys are mobile and good in the line out and give us a bit more freedom in who we pick in the back row. Without them we would need another big ball carrier at 6 but given the Grays in place I think we can pick a more mobile back row but we do need a spoiler, someone to slow the oppo ball down at the breakdown and be a general nuisance, Harley does that very well. It also depends on the oppo and if we are facing a big ball carrying pack who are going to play a tight game then I would have him in my team. If we are playing oppo who are going to fling it around a bit more then he is probably not fast enough around the park and I would go for the likes of Bradbury, Wilson or Barclay at 6.

I don't think this is how Cotter views the situation though because he did have the Grays - sometimes Gichrist who carriers better than RG - and still persevered with the Harley/Strokosh and Wilson at 6 but it just didn't work as none of them were up to it. So it was lucky he chucked Cowan in there in the QF to counter Pocock and Hooper because the pack has looked much better with Cowan or Barclay at 6. Although I don't think Hardie Watson would work together as both are out and out 7s whereas Barclay does have that position versatility.

I can't think of an international game of the top of my head where Harley really took the game by the scruff of the neck and left thinking "wow Harley was incredible" (maybe NZ 2014). But I can think of games where I've thought O'Mahony, Fardy, Robshaw, Lydiate have (this is ignoring Kaino and Dusatoir because they're just ridiculous). Harley doesn't have their intensity, physically or athleticism. That's not saying that he isn't a very fine Glasgow player. He is and I disagree he's underated for them as I believe everyone knows how effective he is for them. Scottish rugby needs club men the quality of Harley and our own former ginger giant Roddy Grant

Scotland does have an issue with the 6 & 8 shirt and that's because guys like Harley just aren't international quality.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:22 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I can't think of an international game of the top of my head where Harley really took the game by the scruff of the neck and left thinking "wow Harley was incredible" (maybe NZ 2014). But I can think of games where I've thought O'Mahony, Fardy, Robshaw, Lydiate have (this is ignoring Kaino and Dusatoir because they're just ridiculous). Harley doesn't have their intensity, physically or athleticism. That's not saying that he isn't a very fine Glasgow player. He is and I disagree he's underated for them as I believe everyone knows how effective he is for them. Scottish rugby needs club men the quality of Harley and our own former ginger giant Roddy Grant

Scotland does have an issue with the 6 & 8 shirt and that's because guys like Harley just aren't international quality.

I would agree with that. Harley is a very effective club player and is great for Glasgow but just lacks something at the top level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Similar in many ways to Kellock in that regard.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 pm

I've always thought Harley was a better lock than back row (where is is too heavy footed). I assume this heralds the end of Hugh Blake as a Scotland international prospect?
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Jockybadger wrote:I've always thought Harley was a better lock than back row (where is is too heavy footed). I assume this heralds the end of Hugh Blake as a Scotland international prospect?

He's in NZ on loan and apparently bought a house there so I would suggest yes!
BigD163
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum