Edinburgh v Treviso, Fri 7th Oct 7:35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Treviso, Fri 7th Oct 7:35pm

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 pm

At BT Murrayfield, 7:35pm. Live on BBC Alba
Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 52nd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Rhys Thomas (WRU), Dunx McClement (SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Kirk (SRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)
Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/preview/previ ... sBu0ZJB.99

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ed ... viso/77865

The proper start of the Hodge era, last week can't really count. I'm not convinced at all that he's the answer - he wasn't Cotter's answer for Scotland, and, hamstrung by Solly or not, he's shown little to evolve Embra's attacking style (arguably reflecting his own playing style and no more).

However....

He deserves our full support, and now has a golden chance to prove me and others wrong. He's particularly fortunate that in the frame of this season, things can't really get any worse. Treviso and Edinburgh share a 1-5 record in their last six games. He also has a favourable fixture list. Treviso (h); Timisoara (a) should be stick-on wins. We won't be expected to beat Harlequins, or at least shouldn't be, and then he has Zebre, also at home. Three home games, and an away match against a relative minnow - three morale-boosting wins surely with some BPs, and anything v Quins is a bonus.

By the time the Ulster game comes round, there could be a boost to confidence and a new siege mentality in place - presumably Ulster will also be shorn of their Irish internationals, so more of a level playing field than now. Squeeze a win there, and the next game is away to the Dragons....

So the schedule couldn't be much kinder, let's hope Embra take advantage of it and turn the season round.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso, Fri 7th Oct 7:35pm

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 pm

I doubt Treviso will be a straightforward game for us. It's very important that we win, but with our feeble defensive record and an inability to get any forward domination then I can see Treviso winning this one. I think they are an improved side this season, and we'll have to up our game considerably to win.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Wise words, NG. I've said something similar in my column for this month's SCRUM, which should be out shortly. These are not easy matches, but they are a good chance to get some positivity back after a tough opening month.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:10 pm

I think we will see a bit of a positive bounce from the team now that Solomons is away.

A lot depends on who is fit but we should be aiming for a try BP win although we might concede few in the process. I think we will get the TBP win and Treviso may well get a LB point. I would be tempted to put SHC at 9 given Weir is now injured as we need some threat at 9 or 10 and Tovey will just sit in the pocket and ping the kicks so a SHC sniping around the fringes is required to avoid us just crabbing across the pitch. Hopefully we will have a couple of centres fit and available so we can put Allen on the wing who with Hoyland could do a bit of damage.

Feeling confident for once ... yes I know ... although TBF it is Treviso!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:22 pm

doedin wrote:I think we will see a bit of a positive bounce from the team now that Solomons is away.

A lot depends on who is fit but we should be aiming for a try BP win although we might concede few in the process. I think we will get the TBP win and Treviso may well get a LB point. I would be tempted to put SHC at 9 given Weir is now injured as we need some threat at 9 or 10 and Tovey will just sit in the pocket and ping the kicks so a SHC sniping around the fringes is required to avoid us just crabbing across the pitch. Hopefully we will have a couple of centres fit and available so we can put Allen on the wing who with Hoyland could do a bit of damage.

Feeling confident for once ... yes I know ... although TBF it is Treviso!

Roles reversed as I am not too confident. The Italian sides have got better coaches and their Italian internationals back. Their results have been quite good. Got a feeling this could be an upset.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Team's up

1. Sutherland, 2. Ford, 3. McQuillin, 4. Toolis, 5. Gilchrist (c), 6. Bradbury, 7. Watson, 8. Manu
9. Kennedy, 10. Tovey, 11. Brown, 12. Dean, 13. Allen, 14. Hoyland, 15. Kinghorn

16. McInally, 17. Dell, 18. McCallum, 19. Carmichael, 20. Hardie, 21. Fowles, 22. Bryce, 23. Rasolea

I think it's safe to say that no one saw this selection coming.

Hodge definitely realises we're lacking tighthead options, and this looks like he's experimenting with McQuillin and McCallum to see if either are up to the job of back-up. The former's supposed to have done quite well down at London Scottish, so hopefully he does well.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:52 pm

gowrie wrote:Team's up

1. Sutherland, 2. Ford, 3. McQuillin, 4. Toolis, 5. Gilchrist (c), 6. Bradbury, 7. Watson, 8. Manu
9. Kennedy, 10. Tovey, 11. Brown, 12. Dean, 13. Allen, 14. Hoyland, 15. Kinghorn

16. McInally, 17. Dell, 18. McCallum, 19. Carmichael, 20. Hardie, 21. Fowles, 22. Bryce, 23. Rasolea

I think it's safe to say that no one saw this selection coming.

Hodge definitely realises we're lacking tighthead options, and this looks like he's experimenting with McQuillin and McCallum to see if either are up to the job of back-up. The former's supposed to have done quite well down at London Scottish, so hopefully he does well.

It's good to see Manu back - hopefully he gets a run in the side. Centre is concerning - not a good sign for Tolifau and Rasolea if we're still using Allen as a 13 -!when it's clear he is a winger - as opposed to playing them. Glad Kinghorn is starting though. And it's becoming clear that Kennedy is Hodge's favoured 9.

The TH situation is a mess. Beavon is off to LS so we can play LS' tight head - why not just sign McQuillin. If I remember was he not very highly rated when younger but didn't work too hard off the pitch?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm

I think we can thank LS for lending us Ewan McQuillin after training him and starting him in the championship! Hopefully he can do a decent job at scrum time. We need him with Nel, Berghan and Bryce injured.

I'm quite curious on this one.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's good to see Manu back - hopefully he gets a run in the side. Centre is concerning - not a good sign for Tolifau and Rasolea if we're still using Allen as a 13 -!when it's clear he is a winger - as opposed to playing them. Glad Kinghorn is starting though. And it's becoming clear that Kennedy is Hodge's favoured 9.

The TH situation is a mess. Beavon is off to LS so we can play LS' tight head - why not just sign McQuillin. If I remember was he not very highly rated when younger but didn't work too hard off the pitch?

Where'd you hear about Beavon? Makes sense I suppose (nvm just saw the article). And yes, I do remember that being the chat around McQuillin, he got sent on the MacPhail and made a couple of appearances for us as a 20/21 year old but there were always comment about his attitude. Hopefully this means that whatever wrong was fixed and we've got a talented young TH to bring through. I do appreciate that Hodge has chosen to put him out with the strongest two players beside him, a small change from Solomons, but worth noting.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Treviso:

15 Luke McLean, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Tommaso Benvenuti, 12 Alberto Sgarbi (C), 11 Andrea Buondonno,
10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Edoardo Gori,
8 Abraham Steyn, 7 Marco Lazzaroni, 6 Francesco Minto, 5 Marco Fuser, 4 Filo Paulo,
3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Alberto De Marchi.

Replacements: 16 Luke Bigi, 17 Matteo Zanusso, 18 Cherif Traore, 19 Filippo Gerosa, 20 Andrea Pratichetti,
21 Tito Tebaldi, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 David Odiete
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm

gowrie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's good to see Manu back - hopefully he gets a run in the side. Centre is concerning - not a good sign for Tolifau and Rasolea if we're still using Allen as a 13 -!when it's clear he is a winger - as opposed to playing them. Glad Kinghorn is starting though. And it's becoming clear that Kennedy is Hodge's favoured 9.

Where'd you hear about Beavon? Makes sense I suppose (nvm just saw the article). And yes, I do remember that being the chat around McQuillin, he got sent on the MacPhail and made a couple of appearances for us as a 20/21 year old but there were always comment about his attitude. Hopefully this means that whatever wrong was fixed and we've got a talented young TH to bring through. I do appreciate that Hodge has chosen to put him out with the strongest two players beside him, a small change from Solomons, but worth noting.

Yeah, it's interesting about McQuillin. That's the general take on what happened, but there was never anything official. However it'd take a pretty bad attitude to get your academy contract finished early, which is pretty much what I remember happening (although I may be mistaken, old age and drink can cloud the past somewhat). If he's been buckling down and working hard, great - he's only what, 24, which is still damn young for a tight head.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

McCallum is covering TH?
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:54 pm

hp18 wrote:McCallum is covering TH?

I was assuming Dell is first choice replacement on either side, and McCallum would play LH if two replacements are needed.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Frenchy wrote:

I was assuming Dell is first choice replacement on either side, and McCallum would play LH if two replacements are needed.

Fair shout. This game on the box?

Edit: Missed the OP :oops:
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Frenchy wrote:

If that were the case, why not select Cosgrove over McCallum? He's already got a couple of appearances and is on a full contract.

It's odd, because I don't recall McCallum ever playing on the other side, but he does have a fair bit of weight compared to Dell and Cosgrove and maybe this is being done with a long term view to moving him over.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum