Timisoara Saracens v EDI

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Timisoara Saracens v EDI

Postby gowrie on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:17 pm

w.r.t McCallum, I wouldn't call him a LH anymore. He played there for the U20s, but it's not uncommon for props at that level to play both sides, and he's proven that he's got potential as a pro TH. Besides, it makes sense for him and the team for him to make the switch, at LH he'd have to get past Cosgrove, Sutherland and Dell who are all fairly young, and Dickinson. But on the other side, Beavon looks unwanted, Bryce probably left the conversion too late, and Nel is going to be incredibly difficult to hang on to.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:23 pm

gowrie wrote:w.r.t McCallum, I wouldn't call him a LH anymore. He played there for the U20s, but it's not uncommon for props at that level to play both sides, and he's proven that he's got potential as a pro TH. Besides, it makes sense for him and the team for him to make the switch, at LH he'd have to get past Cosgrove, Sutherland and Dell who are all fairly young, and Dickinson. But on the other side, Beavon looks unwanted, Bryce probably left the conversion too late, and Nel is going to be incredibly difficult to hang on to.

Would be interesting to see how he went at LHP too though. If he is potentially better than those listed at LHP then we need to be careful that we don't rob ourselves of a quality LH to fill the gap at TH.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

BigD163 wrote:
gowrie wrote:w.r.t McCallum, I wouldn't call him a LH anymore. He played there for the U20s, but it's not uncommon for props at that level to play both sides, and he's proven that he's got potential as a pro TH. Besides, it makes sense for him and the team for him to make the switch, at LH he'd have to get past Cosgrove, Sutherland and Dell who are all fairly young, and Dickinson. But on the other side, Beavon looks unwanted, Bryce probably left the conversion too late, and Nel is going to be incredibly difficult to hang on to.

Would be interesting to see how he went at LHP too though. If he is potentially better than those listed at LHP then we need to be careful that we don't rob ourselves of a quality LH to fill the gap at TH.

...and let us not forget the failure of the Dickinson at tight head experiment.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Not necessarily comparable. McCallum's just starting out, with no pro experience as a LH, and is a totally different type of prop to Dickinson when that was tried.

And one of the most important things for a developing player is getting lots of gametime. If he'd get vastly more at TH (which is pretty much a certainty) then he could go a lot further for having that experience early on.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Legless wrote:I was fairly happy with the result considering the team and the lack of atmosphere at the ground, it all went a bit flat in the second half for us which sometimes happens when you make a lot of changes. this wasn't their normal ground and it was way too big, way too empty and the fans were miles from the action. On arrival the police not knowing about rugby tried to segregate us into an area behind the goal for "our safety" but after complaints from both Edinburgh and Timisoara officials were falling on deaf ears with the police we took matters into our own hands and headed into the stand and received a good welcome from the Romanians. It was like being in the west stand at Murrayfield as were miles from the pitch and to make matters worse there was no alcohol on sale in the ground although a local gave me a bottle of what he described as "the local water" which turned out to be one half nail polish remover and one half battery acid....This level of rugby is all very new to them and they have a lot to learn but their rugby supporters were passionate, friendly and very proud of their team despite the result.

You didn't manage to bring any back did you?....
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:51 pm

hp18 wrote:
Legless wrote:I was fairly happy with the result considering the team and the lack of atmosphere at the ground, it all went a bit flat in the second half for us which sometimes happens when you make a lot of changes. this wasn't their normal ground and it was way too big, way too empty and the fans were miles from the action. On arrival the police not knowing about rugby tried to segregate us into an area behind the goal for "our safety" but after complaints from both Edinburgh and Timisoara officials were falling on deaf ears with the police we took matters into our own hands and headed into the stand and received a good welcome from the Romanians. It was like being in the west stand at Murrayfield as were miles from the pitch and to make matters worse there was no alcohol on sale in the ground although a local gave me a bottle of what he described as "the local water" which turned out to be one half nail polish remover and one half battery acid....This level of rugby is all very new to them and they have a lot to learn but their rugby supporters were passionate, friendly and very proud of their team despite the result.

You didn't manage to bring any back did you?....

Way to volatile to risk travel :eek:
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm

BigD163 wrote:
macdone wrote:Alex Northam - probably our best back. Slightly surprised he hasn't had any minutes at all this season. Looks like a competitor anyway.

There's a bit in the BBC Scotland "gossip" column that says he has been battling testicular cancer. That may have had something to do with it but there was indication of when that was.

Also in the Daily Mail: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish ... 6291291498

Quite a tumultuous time for him, a big move and then sledgehammer news. Brave lad, wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him in the black and red.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:30 pm

New Gunner wrote:
BigD163 wrote:
macdone wrote:Alex Northam - probably our best back. Slightly surprised he hasn't had any minutes at all this season. Looks like a competitor anyway.

There's a bit in the BBC Scotland "gossip" column that says he has been battling testicular cancer. That may have had something to do with it but there was indication of when that was.

Quite a tumultuous time for him, a big move and then sledgehammer news. Brave lad, wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him in the black and red.

Had a mate diagnosed with the same and he also made a full recovery so I am sure, and hope, Northam will have made a full recovery. He has done well to get back to pro rugby fitness in such a short time, however the mental courage to go onto the rugby pitch having had the illness is even more amazing. Lets hope he goes onto have the career with us that his courage and fortitude deserves. Good luck to him.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:15 am

New Gunner wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Definitely echo those comments.

It would be a massive boost for us to find out we have a good winger on our hands. Even better if he can play 15.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:50 pm

gowrie wrote:That'd be Adam Nicol, he'll very likely be the starting TH for the U20s this season so that'll be a chance to see what he's up to. Though oddly I had a look and he isn't linked to any of the academies. I'd imagine as a Stirling player he's more likely to be with Glasgow if he does get picked up.

Nicol benches for Glasgow v ospreys.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:20 pm

hp18 wrote:
gowrie wrote:That'd be Adam Nicol, he'll very likely be the starting TH for the U20s this season so that'll be a chance to see what he's up to. Though oddly I had a look and he isn't linked to any of the academies. I'd imagine as a Stirling player he's more likely to be with Glasgow if he does get picked up.

Nicol benches for Glasgow v ospreys.

He was also the 24th man when Glasgow travelled to Scarlets, he's not doing too bad.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum