Edinburgh v. Harlequins 22.10@3:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v. Harlequins 22.10@3:15

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Not sure I agree about Mata's introduction as a sub. At that stage of the game we were getting outplayed physically, and he brought a big presence to our side. Mata helped lift the siege we were under and get back into attacking positions in their half, which enabled us to come off the ropes and win the game.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Agree on Mata, he brought some good energy and was important in our late attack to get the game-winning try.

I thought before the game that this was the first proper test of how we were going under Hodge, and we passed in pretty good fashion, even with some very big flaws (discipline, set piece sloppiness) we got another BP win.

Looking ahead, Zebre at home has to be another BP win, and Ulster the week after is the next big test but one we can look forward to.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 pm

I'll watch the game again at some point but there were three things I remember Mata doing - he made a brilliant carry, with a good pass at the end of it. He dropped a ball and then absolutely smashed one of the Quins forwards in a tackle about a minute later to make up for it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:28 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'll watch the game again at some point but there were three things I remember Mata doing - he made a brilliant carry, with a good pass at the end of it. He dropped a ball and then absolutely smashed one of the Quins forwards in a tackle about a minute later to make up for it.

He did some good things in attack but when Harlequins went the length of the pitch he had - at least one - very poor tackle I think, I could've been mistaken though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Wottie wrote:Game is up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/qe-l7j9ibd8

Cheers Wottie :)
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:15 pm

djphilp wrote:
Wottie wrote:Game is up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/qe-l7j9ibd8

Cheers Wottie :)

I've just watched it again.

Re Mata, he was out on his feet after 20 mins, until then he looked great, very much our own Nakarawa - great hands (bar one dropped ball) lovely passing and good pace. He had a great appetite for work and put in a couple of thunderous hits, a few weeks of fitness training and he'll be good to go.

Bradbury was outstanding, he has to make the AIs squad, as does Hamish. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blair there too, if only to gain the experience from being around the squad, it will take him at least another couple of months to oust Hoggy :lol:

I was especially pleased to see Sam H-C hit his receiver so well - that has been the major criticism of him recently, but his passing was good and he does offer more on the break than any other scrum half Scotland has. Kennedy is ahead of him at the moment, though, that was an assured performance from him.

edit - as a member of the Tom Brown fanclub, there doesn't seem to be too many of us, I'd just like to mention that his try was top drawer stuff, beating Mike Brown in the air and then having the wherewithal to dot down over his head shows a sniper's instinct, ie the lifeblood of a winger. He has ridiculous pace, too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 am

Delighted with the win and some of the tries we scored were great was also encouraging to see the team dig out the win at the end.

However we did get very close to blowing a 31-14 HT lead. Still an awful lot of work to be done, the set piece and defence were the two aspects we could rely on last season and yet have dropped off pretty badly this season are Dickinson and Bresler that key to the scrum and lineout respectively that we can’t function without them? The restarts were a disgrace at least they are all things that should be easy to practice in training although could ask why they don’t appear to have been.

I don’t think Watson has had a bad game all season, he is consistently delivering a very high level of performance got to get some game time for Scotland in the AIs, really hope Bradbury at least makes the wider training squad as well. Best game we have seen from Dell, I seem to recall he came highly rated and was in the Scotland training squad early on, he is really mobile for a prop and ran himself into the ground. Also starting to see the Manu we thought we had signed just need him to stay fit.

Back three were all very very good Quins really struggled with the pace we had, thought Burleigh put in a really good defensive shift and had the better of Roberts and Kennedy looked more like the player he was at Glasgow.

Great to see us score tries now just need to see the set piece and defence improve quickly over the coming weeks and get our league season back on track.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 am

Bresler is one of the keys to both the scrum and the line out. He's a technically outstanding lock in the scrum, the support and platform he provides for the hooker and prop in front of him is exceptionally strong.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 am

The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum