Edinburgh v. Harlequins 22.10@3:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v. Harlequins 22.10@3:15

Postby malkster1 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Quins were horrific and we scared a one point win. |We would have won this game 15-13 3 months ago. We still have a lot of work to do and today's defence is not he way ahead despite what the usual non ticket buying numpties say.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:50 am

malkster1 wrote:Quins were horrific and we scared a one point win. |We would have won this game 15-13 3 months ago. We still have a lot of work to do and today's defence is not he way ahead despite what the usual non ticket buying numpties say.

Yes that display wasnt perfect but im sure most of the Edinburgh support would say its better than most of the pish that has been served up in recent seasons,and also Quins were off the pace in the first half and Edinburgh exploited that.Second half was different story; they are a good solid English side.Not sure if you were watching the same match!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:39 am

Game is up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/qe-l7j9ibd8
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:23 am

BruceLee wrote:
malkster1 wrote:Quins were horrific and we scared a one point win. |We would have won this game 15-13 3 months ago. We still have a lot of work to do and today's defence is not he way ahead despite what the usual non ticket buying numpties say.

Yes that display wasnt perfect but im sure most of the Edinburgh support would say its better than most of the pish that has been served up in recent seasons,and also Quins were off the pace in the first half and Edinburgh exploited that.Second half was different story; they are a good solid English side.Not sure if you were watching the same match!

I was but I was watching it from a rugby fans point of view not someone with a point to make.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:05 am

What was the crowd size? Looking at the replay of the game it was pretty large.

If Edinburgh keep playing like this then Myreside is gonna be to small for any game never mind the European ones.
KenMavor
International

Postby biffer on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:17 am

KenMavor wrote:What was the crowd size? Looking at the replay of the game it was pretty large.

If Edinburgh keep playing like this then Myreside is gonna be to small for any game never mind the European ones.

5200 or so I think they said. There was a bit of noise and atmosphere, which had it been in myreside would have been excellent
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 am

What happened at the end of the first half with Tovey. I did see him getting tackled as Hoyland was running to score. Pity Tovey didn't have the ball but I presume he retaliated and got 10 minutes.
KenMavor
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 am

I think Quins would've won comfortably a few months back as we'd have taken them on at their own game and their pack would've beaten ours. There's plenty to improve on in all areas of the but the match was incredibly excited and some of the skills on display were lightyears better than they have been.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:52 am

The Quins could have been average, It doesn't really matter.
We beat them thanks to that now almost classical edinburgh blitz, with four tries in the first half hour... Quite an exciting thirty minutes!

We have to back that, and show it's not false hope, with two wins in the next two games at home. The season is just starting now...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:03 am

malkster1 wrote:
BruceLee wrote:

I was but I was watching it from a rugby fans point of view not someone with a point to make.

Not sure either who the non ticket buying numpties are nor what the point was someone was trying to make?

Regardless of the slightly bitter comments we went out and tried to win playing rugby and by taking our chances we scored a few points. It is funny how good fortune tends to fall on the side who are playing rugby and willing to take chances that come their way. Also I am not sure how much Quins being off the pace was due to the pressure we put them under and the panic we created in their open play. 2nd half they played a far tighter game because of this and it worked for them but that was not what they initially planned to do!

No-one is saying it was perfect, and no-one is disagreeing about our defence needing significant improvements, but I doubt that 3 months ago we would have been anywhere near getting a win. In fact 3 months ago we were in the middle of a 3 game losing run against Sale, Newcastle and Cardiff and despite a brief glimmer of hope against Scarlets we then went on to lose to Leinster, Munster and Connacht. So a win, even by one point, against the Quins is a significant step forward compared to where we were 3 months ago!

Perhaps I should answer try and answer one of the questions I asked at the start. The point I was making in previous post is that I don't think we would have won that game under Solomons, we would have ground out a boring miserable and limited display to lose by 5 points or more. It was obvious from the display yesterday that the guys now want and are allowed to play rugby as opposed to the endless kicking and waiting for the opposition to make mistakes. I'm happy with that!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:07 am

KenMavor wrote:What happened at the end of the first half with Tovey. I did see him getting tackled as Hoyland was running to score. Pity Tovey didn't have the ball but I presume he retaliated and got 10 minutes.

From where i was sitting it looked like he was running a support line and made sure he ‘protected’ Hoyland from the approaching defender, nothing wrong with that as he was ahead of him and in support and can chose what line he runs. However the Quins defender decided to take him out and I presume Tovey retaliated with handbags on the ground ensuing. I think by that time the ref was getting TonySpreadbury off with all the needle and decided to bin them both, fair dues!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 pm

As a long term season ticket holder who sits amongst long term season ticket holders, my opinion and that of those I sit amongst is that Edinburgh are far from the finished article, but even if they go down playing like that, we'll be very happy.

These games were always going to be about rebuilding, but if what we have seen in the last two matches is the direction Edinburgh are going in, then I'm content if Edinburgh take a few losses on the way as they develop this playing style.

I was skeptical about Hodge as coach, but I like what I'm seeing so far and if Edinburgh turn in another couple of strong performances then I think he should be given the chance to build the future.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:07 pm

stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:33 pm

:above: :D :D :D
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Weegie wrote:As a long term season ticket holder who sits amongst long term season ticket holders, my opinion and that of those I sit amongst is that Edinburgh are far from the finished article, but even if they go down playing like that, we'll be very happy.

These games were always going to be about rebuilding, but if what we have seen in the last two matches is the direction Edinburgh are going in, then I'm content if Edinburgh take a few losses on the way as they develop this playing style.

I was skeptical about Hodge as coach, but I like what I'm seeing so far and if Edinburgh turn in another couple of strong performances then I think he should be given the chance to build the future.

I was sceptical too and I can't believe the turnaround. This squad looked absolutely incapable of simple catching, passing and running but that's what they're doing. He needs to tighten up the defence and work on the forward pack, especially the mauls. In addition, I don't think his subs make sense - Mata didn't look too interesting in tackling which isn't really what you need from your replacement backrow when the opposition are always attacking. But a far more promising start than I ever imagined it would be.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum