New signing?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

New signing?

Postby bignose on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 am

To be announced at 10:00 am according to Twitter
bignose
World Cup Star

Re: New signing?

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:23 am

oooh speculation time...did Western Province (Huw Jones) not lose in the semi of the Currie Cup last weekend so season over for him...
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 am

Would rather hear its WPN before any new signing but Jones would be a good alternative.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:03 am

Argentine TH on short term deal Felipe Arregui
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:07 am

22 years old, made his debut for Argentina in August. Plays for Los Jaguares in super rugby.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am

Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 am

Makes sense and fills a need. Perhaps done in light of more news on the length of Berghan's injury?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am

There was some talk that Nel's neck injury was not clearing up quickly, and Berghan seems to be out for a while (also Bryce). To get a Super Rugby TH who has (a little) experience of the Rugby Championship is good news.

On a side note, interesting piece in the Scotsman:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4264242

25% cost inflation in the pro teams is eye-watering and impossible for the SRU to absorb. It lends some perspective to the discussion over league position, the argument for a third pro team, and also the challenge in keeping players like Nel (or Hogg as we saw last week). If 25pc is accurate (and annual, which is implied but not clear), then that suggests the SRU having to find an extra £3m every year to fund Edinburgh and Glasgow (based on a £7m per club average budget).
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Cant remember having seen him play but probably have. Sensible signing and certainly the type of pedigree to do the job. Hopefully he brings a lot to the squad.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 pm

The article says until January 2017, so he's only here for the Super Rugby offseason, which makes sense.

It's a good signing, he'll be solid enough to hold up our scrum against almost any team we'll play in that time. Though it does show just how much of a joke our signing policy was last season to leave us in this position.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:43 pm

gowrie wrote: Though it does show just how much of a joke our signing policy was last season to leave us in this position.

I don't know. Beavon, Bryce and Berghan are injured. It's normal to sign a new player as cover.
I thought it was good to have four scottish TH props. We had few problems there, but it's a good effort, and I second it.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:31 pm

germain wrote:
gowrie wrote: Though it does show just how much of a joke our signing policy was last season to leave us in this position.

I don't know. Beavon, Bryce and Berghan are injured. It's normal to sign a new player as cover.
I thought it was good to have four scottish TH props. We had few problems there, but it's a good effort, and I second it.

Beavon ain't injured, he's apparently just not good enough, which makes him a poor signing. Bryce may be injured but showed in his 5 mins against Munster that he is not ready (or good enough, we don't know yet?). With tighthead one of the most important positions on the pitch (and in knowledge of Nel being rotated and missing for AI's and 6N's), I would say that makes Gowrie pretty much spot on.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Wottie wrote:
germain wrote:

Beavon ain't injured, he's apparently just not good enough, which makes him a poor signing. Bryce may be injured but showed in his 5 mins against Munster that he is not ready (or good enough, we don't know yet?). With tighthead one of the most important positions on the pitch (and in knowledge of Nel being rotated and missing for AI's and 6N's), I would say that makes Gowrie pretty much spot on.

Beavon is injured. He's listed on the injury club for the Harlequins game. It's three injured THprop out of four.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:05 pm

germain wrote:Beavon is injured. He's listed on the injury club for the Harlequins game. It's three injured THprop out of four.

OK so now he is injured but that means he can't play for Melrose, we have been playing loosheads, academy players and London Scottish props ahead of him when he was fit. He is clearly not up to it.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:54 am

Wottie wrote:
germain wrote:Beavon is injured. He's listed on the injury club for the Harlequins game. It's three injured THprop out of four.

OK so now he is injured but that means he can't play for Melrose, we have been playing loosheads, academy players and London Scottish props ahead of him when he was fit. He is clearly not up to it.

For sure, I won't deny it.
germain
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum