Edinburgh - Ulster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Ulster

Postby germain on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:13 pm

crispy wrote:
germain wrote:I'm gutted because I've only been able to catch the first half-hour. That was good but not enough.
I was happy to see Ritchie at this level. His tackling was astounding. Really happy too for Cosgrove and McCallum.
I'm eager to see the full game, if you have any link.

It's on iplayer now http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-v-ulster

That's nice but I'm not in the UK, so it doesn't work.
Thanks anyway!
germain
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:30 pm

germain wrote:
crispy wrote:
germain wrote:I'm gutted because I've only been able to catch the first half-hour. That was good but not enough.
I was happy to see Ritchie at this level. His tackling was astounding. Really happy too for Cosgrove and McCallum.
I'm eager to see the full game, if you have any link.

It's on iplayer now http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-v-ulster

That's nice but I'm not in the UK, so it doesn't work.
Thanks anyway!

There's a few ways to mask your location, not up on them myself but a bit of googling might get you through.

Alternatively wait a day or two and the UAFC will load it on youtube, albeit with nordie commentary.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:21 pm

hp18 wrote:Alternatively wait a day or two and the UAFC will load it on youtube, albeit with nordie commentary.

Andy Nicol was one of the BBC NI commentators - if that makes it any more palatable.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Frenchy wrote:
hp18 wrote:Alternatively wait a day or two and the UAFC will load it on youtube, albeit with nordie commentary.

Andy Nicol was one of the BBC NI commentators - if that makes it any more palatable.

Get yourself a proxy germain, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Obviously, not in the same league but Kinghorn does have a bit of the Folau's a bit him. Quite a sanguine running style but incredibly dangerous, useful under the high ball with a good kicking game. If he stays at 15 would like to see him pop up in the line like Folau does. As I said Folau is miles ahead but Kinghorn is potentially the best Scottish prospect since Hogg.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Check out YouTube. The Romanian match and Harlequins match are on there.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Such an improvement over last week, some of the best I've seen them do for a long time, so surprised at the crowd turnout too.
Pitfitter

Postby gowrie on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:43 am

Funny thing on the BBC, Ulster get beaten by us with both sides stripped of international players 'Edinburgh beat depleted Ulster', Glasgow lose with even more players away on international duty/injury 'Scarlets crush Glasgow'.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 am

Good all round performance. Never thought we'd be disappointed at not having a 5 point win!

Tom English can go LawrenceBryce himself with a pineapple though:
Duncan Hodge's side were missing a handful of Test players, denied him at the behest of the Scotland management before next Saturday's Test against Australia, but his absent men were as nothing compared to those shorn from Ulster ranks.

The visitors had to make do without 11 Ireland internationals and Edinburgh took advantage. They were ahead after three minutes when Mata sauntered through a chasm in the Ulster defence. Tovey, who controlled much of the match at 10, knocked over the conversion.

By my count Edinburgh were missing 7 internationals, 1 international injured and 1 in waiting (Dell) due to injury or internationals. Given that most of those concentrate on the front row and openside I'd say those absentees were equally problematic for Edinburgh.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am

BigD163 wrote:Good all round performance. Never thought we'd be disappointed at not having a 5 point win!

Tom English can go LawrenceBryce himself with a pineapple though:
Duncan Hodge's side were missing a handful of Test players, denied him at the behest of the Scotland management before next Saturday's Test against Australia, but his absent men were as nothing compared to those shorn from Ulster ranks.

The visitors had to make do without 11 Ireland internationals and Edinburgh took advantage. They were ahead after three minutes when Mata sauntered through a chasm in the Ulster defence. Tovey, who controlled much of the match at 10, knocked over the conversion.

By my count Edinburgh were missing 7 internationals, 1 international injured and 1 in waiting (Dell) due to injury or internationals. Given that most of those concentrate on the front row and openside I'd say those absentees were equally problematic for Edinburgh.

I'm pretty sure we next play Ulster during the 6N period, I'll be quite happy to gub them again, "depleted" or not.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:44 am

I thought that too. We had almost 2 front rows missing, first choice second row pairing and (with CDP not fully fit) the first choice back row injured/away. So if we had all players available arguably none of that pack would play, Toolis and Bradbury are a coin toss, or certainly were a few weeks ago.

2 of Ulsters were arguably (allegedly) self inflicted so not much to do with international call ups.

Yes we have a lot of players out too. Almost all of them in the forwards. Which is heartening in that they coped well and worrying as the backs were almt full strength and still have a lot of work to do.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Based on a very, very rough calculation, and only taking into account Pro12 and Champions/Challenge Cup caps (which admittedly doesn't tell the whole story), I reckon that the Ulster starting XV on Friday night had over 300 more caps than the Edinburgh starting XV.

Ulster fans and the media can dress it up any way they like but it doesn't change the fact that Friday's result was simply a case of a younger, far less experienced team just playing much, much better on the night.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:02 pm

11 irish international on duty?
In the irish squad for ABs, I count only 4 from Ulster: Best, Gilroy, Trimble and Payne.
Which is a bit less than our 5 absentees for this game: Dell, Ford, Gilchrist, Hardie, Watson.
What did I miss?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:28 pm

germain wrote:11 irish international on duty?
In the irish squad for ABs, I count only 4 from Ulster: Best, Gilroy, Trimble and Payne.
Which is a bit less than our 5 absentees for this game: Dell, Ford, Gilchrist, Hardie, Watson.
What did I miss?

Think he's counting all unavailable Ulster players - including those who are unavailable due to injury.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Whist arguably you can't count Nel (or Sutherland) as they were injured but surely Dickinson counts as he's in the squad? (even though he is "recovering from injury").
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum